“Not worth full price”

Best Western Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed for two nights, and stayed in a different room each night. Pros: When we arrived the front desk manager was extremely kind and helpful.He seemed genuinely concerned that our stay was a good one. The facility was clean (mostly) and the room was comfortable. Cons: The pool was closed, but I do understand that it was for maintenence which needs to be done from time to time. It was just a shame it happened while we stayed. We were there for a hospital stay, so were sleeping in our room mid-afternoon, and a maintenece worker walked right in on us! The showerhead in our first room had poor water pressure and it leaked. The second room we stayed in had ants! (In January!) Overall I was glad we got the hospital rate. It would not have been worth the money if we had paid full-price. We have stayed at Ramkotas in the past and have always had a good experience. This one was just not up to the same standard as the rest.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and filling out the response. We did call the exterminator on the ants, doesn't seem right in January. I do apologize for the maintenance on the pool, your right in saying it has to be done, unfortunatly there is never a good time. We will get the maintenance man not knocking taken care of. Thanks again for staying with us and I hope if your ever in the area again you will give us another chance to serve you.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Ramkota Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stopped late at night for a one-night stay - received a terrific price on the room with a call directly to the front desk and a free upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi tub. There is no free breakfast buffet, but a restaurant in the hotel with a good local reputation. We slept in and didn't eat at the hotel or use any of their other facilities. Do be sure to put the "do not disturb" sign on the door - housekeeping came knocking at 8 AM. Convenient location - friendly staff - clean rooms - positive experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Thank you for you kind words. We appreciate your business and hope if you are ever in the area again you will choose our facility again. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed at the Best Western for 3 nights in June 2011. Pros: very comfortable bed, nice towels, good wireless internet in room, liked the room with the outside enterance. Cons: a little over priced when comparing to other motels that are newer and serve breakfast, not enough parking spaces, decor & tv outdated and the ceiling in the pool area was moldy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review. We do allocate a certain percent of our sales for capital expenditures. The items you described are on our list to be improved in the near future. The parking sometimes gets tight with our restaurant and when we have functions in our convention center. We will look again at ways to solve this issue. I have looked all over the ceiling of the pool area and am not seeing what your seeing. I did have our maintenance staff go through with a lift to try and spot and possible areas that might need attention. You can certainly give me a call and let me know what area of the pool ceiling you were refering to. Once again thank you for taking the time and letting us know how you felt about your stay. I hope you have a great summer.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while on a vacation in Aberdeen. We were in one of their mini suites, since our family is too big for a regular size room. The room itself was pretty nice. The beds were comfortable and we had a lot of space. The pool is very kid friendly. It has a lot of fun stuff for them to play on: a frog slide, lily pads to cross over, water cannons. The deepest it goes is 3 1/2 feet and the water is very warm. But the hot tub water stinks so bad that you can't stand to sit in it. There were piles of sand at the bottom of it, which makes me think that it's not been cleaned in a while.
Our hallway smelled really bad too. As soon as you would enter the part of the hotel with our room you'd suddenly notice a foul smell. This may have been due to the fact that they left dirty laundry in the hallways for hours on end. And our tub was not cleaned on the second day of our stay. And it obviously needed it after we had bathed 4 dirty kids in it the night before.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review. First I would like to apologize for the hotel not being up to the standards we require. I will be taking all the information you provided and we will be making some changes. We will get the issues fixed. I hope you have a great summer

Reviewed October 11, 2010

I recently stayed 3 nights at this hotel while attending a family wedding. I traveled with my husband, teenage son, and young daughter.

Positives:
The hotel was very clean. It did appear that the carpet was new in both the hallways and our room, and the room size is large. The room also has queen size beds although they are not comfortable. The hotel has a pool (see below), bar, and small casino (state video gaming machines).

The hotel is easy to get to, has a free shuttle to Storybook Land, and while not on the direct path, it is quick and easy to get to the main areas of the city. All of the employees I spoke to were friendly and accommodating.

Negatives:
The beds were old and uncomfortable. They are very low to the ground and I woke up every morning with neck and backaches. The pillows are very strange as they put 4 smaller size pillows (I would estimate3/4 size) on the bed instead of 2 regular size pillows. There were also 2 bigger decorative pillows.

The television is older and on some stations the picture quality is poor despite the fact that it is cable. TLC was very bad, which may have had something to do with it being a high def station on a non-high def television.

The other furniture in the room is dated and the desk chair's recline was broken. The bathroom was dated as well. The water pressure left something to be desired, but at least the shower head was very tall, which was great for our family.

As for the pool: My 5 yr old enjoyed it, but my teenager would not have and nor would I. It goes from 6 inches to 3 ft 6 inches. It has a small slide, a frog spray thing, lilly pads, and some water cannons. I would say it's fun for children up to about 10-12yrs old. On the positive there is a separate, large whirlpool which adults would enjoy.

Overall, this hotel is ok and a solid 3. But it would be much better with a complete room remodel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Smjorgensen1974
bwgmAberdeen, Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2010

I want to thank you for taking the time and writing the reveiw. I certainly do apologize for the fuzzy TV channels and the low water pressure. I will get with our maintenance department and get these problems taken care of. In November we will be replacing all of our queen beds with new pillow top beds. Our entire hotel will have the newer beds. We have had great response on our pool area. It is young kid friendly and the parents do not have to be in the water with their kids above 3 years old. Unfortunatley we have also had some of the same responses you mentioned that it isn't for larger kids. I want to thank you for staying with us, and I hope if you are in the area again you will give us a chance to serve you.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

The Ramkota in Aberdeen needs some work. The location is close to Storybook Land, in an otherwise dirty part of the city. The rooms are nice sized, but need updating. The air conditioning is old and could not keep up with cooling. Alot of debris on the carpets under the chair and desk. The bathroom fixtures are old. The televison in the room is old. The pool area is fine, but the air vents on the ceiling are filled with dirt and the windows are dirty. We watched four workers trying to paint a structure in the center court yard- only actually one was painting the others were walking around. It seems like most if not all the Ramkotas in SD are the same. They lucked out having new Event Centers built onto them (Watertown) and updated Minervas- which have always been good. I am not sure what would happen with this hotel chain if the event centers ever were to be moved.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
bwgmAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

Thank you for your reveiw. I want you to know we are taking all of your comments to heart and will be looking to make the necessary changes to improve our product. Thank you again for taking the time and writing a review.

Reviewed August 9, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times however, with this being the second time that the exact same poor rude customer service and pool issues have happened, I just won't keep my mouth shut, it's unacceptable. There are plenty of rather nice, updated and pleasant hotels in Aberdeen to stay at. First, the pool area has been remodeled to an area that would appeal to children only with a lot of unused space for adults to sit and watch if they don't die of heat stroke and dehydration first. The only way for an adult to enjoy this area is if they have very small children they want to be in the pool with. Don't count on the hotels' staff to accommodate you in any way if you need it at the pool or otherwise. If you try to cool down by opening the door you will get threatened by their highly trained security guard that they will shut down the pool. Maybe he should stand in the pool area to monitor and see how long before he passes out. you know its bad when its hotter inside the pool area than outside in SD in August. (the first time was in the winter and it was the same way-we opened the door even though it was 20 outside). This really needs to be addressed. You know the saying, "The customer is always right", well not at this hotel. When I told the front desk that the vending machine had taken our money twice...after the machine actually did work once, she treated me like I was lying to her about $2.25. I was trying to inform her of this incase it happened to others. Also beware of the staff in the restaurant our winter stay equated to eroneous charges on our drink/dinner bill and this past stay equated to poor service and being charged for olives for our drink we ordered which took 15 minutes to get. Again have stayed here many times over and have enjoyed ballroom facilities for various business meetings. It's becoming more and more of a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank roo99

Thank you for taking the time and letting us know of your stay. I want you to know we are taking your comments very seriously and we will get the problems fixed. There is no room at our facility for rude/poor customer service. We are looking at way to make our pool facility cooler and more adult friendly. Thank you for your imput.