“Good Food. Lousy Customer Service.”

J Peters Grill and Bar
Ranked #6 of 270 Restaurants in Anderson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food. Lousy Customer Service.”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Went to the one near Interstate 85. Gave specific instructions not to have the entree delivered until I finished my salad. Entree came early and I was gracious to the waitress as she said the kitchen didn't honor my request. After the meal, which was good, I asked for the manager and explained the situation not looking for any compensation (I'm on an expense account and I was full). She stated that they don't have a 'delay button' on the computer so they can't slow down an order. That's it. Her full explanation. I travel quite a bit and everyone offers something besides a lame excuse for a bad experience. Here's my take...the ownership doesn't allow the employees to comp anything. So go at your own risk, the food is good but if you have anything bad happen, you are on your own. Beware!!

1 Thank George H

Anderson, South Carolina
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Thanks to my son and daughter-in-law, had a fabulous dinner. House salad is out of this world. Hugh portions, great service. Went back a second time for salad and she crab soup.

Durham, Nc
“Pleasant Surprise during a last minute trip”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We are from the Raleigh/Durham area of NC. We never heard of Anderson, SC before my daughter asked us if she could attend a college soccer expedition for players to show their skill to many college coaches and scouts. This was planned as a 2 night stay over the weekend to allow for her to attend the program and potentially meet with college representatives.

We really did not have time to plan the trip or determine what we would do for meals so we did not preplan where to eat our meals and what entertainment and sites we should involve ourselves in while visiting Anderson.

I chose J Peters after looking at local reviews as well as Tripadvisor from our hotel room along with their menu. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites and it was really nice that a location of J Peters was within walking distance of our hotel. This WAS NOT the reason I selected them but did not hurt. My family is pretty picky on what food they like and a place with a good variety of "American" fare (Steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.) tends to give me less headache trying to keep every member of the family happy.

Atmosphere was somewhat western with nice hardwood floors and wood table. There was not really much special about the atmosphere and the exterior of the building was pretty plain and nondescript. Lights were turned down a tad to aide the atmosphere and make a warm mood for everyone.

We were greeted with a smile from the receptionist and our waitress, and "southern hospitality" was definitely evident. I look attentiveness, friendliness, and the "above and beyond" the call in a waiter/waitress and when I get the above average I let them know it directly in person and in the tip. Our waitress was above average in every category and we would have loved to have her just sit down and be one of the family instead of our server.

The menu selection was broad but tasteful with favorites that the majority of people would easily find multiple selections of their liking. Food quality was excellent and portion size was generous. We all took leftover boxes back to our hotel that night and the next day it was as good as it was when we were there. Warmed up leftovers that taste nearly or as good as you had them at the restaurant speak to the quality of the food and its preparation. The only negative was that drinking water was not available and bottled water was offered but at a charge. It seems that a local water main had broken and crews had just finished repairs hours before we arrived and the water was not yet safe to drink.

I asked the waitress for the manager and I did not have to wait long for him to arrive at my side. He immediately engaged all of us in conversation and wanted to know our opinions, including my 18 year old daughter. He did not try and do a quickie with us and send us on our way he just wanted to get a full detail from us. I let him know that my family thoroughly enjoyed our meal and service and to please tell the owner to locate a new J Peters in the Raleigh/Durham area as soon as possible and we would gladly be among his first diners.

I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone. If only they would have a location nearer me though.

2 Thank sqldatapro
Upstate, SC
“Don't really get all the fanfare..”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Food is pretty good - typically heavy, large dishes custom made for your larger southern fare. Most of the time crowded and loud. Tuna black and blue salad is pretty good. Best guess would be 1200++ calories in that one. Service can be good at times. Prices are not too bad. A bit like an upscale Sizzler with crowds, noise and heavy food. I would recommend going - and then you just need to see if it meets your taste.

I have been to the J Peters out on the highway and that place is a disaster..lol.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank GTOLou
“Affordable classy resturant”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We had a large party which they accomadated us. All food was hot and cooked perfectly. They generously stored the cake in the fridge in the back that we brought in. Good service.

• Visited July 2013