“Mixed feelings, but too expensive for the amenities provided”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Anderson Clemson
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Anderson
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Let me first say, if a hotel is clean and safe, it normally earns pretty good ratings from me. This hotel is both those, but didn't earn the rating. The biggest reason why is that the noise was so bad we didn't get much sleep. We were on the 2nd floor and it literally felt like every time someone walked across the floor above us, not only did we hear them, but it felt like our bed shook. That was on top of the standard noise from the hallways and rooms surrounding us. The walls are just too thin. In addition, we were there on a very warm fall weekend and either the air conditioning didn't work, or they turned off the units in each room. Not sure which, but we were uncomfortably warm. Other disappointments were the same as other travelers who have rated this hotel, the need for remodeling, thin towels, uncomfortable beds, and decorating that looks like IKEA furniture.

I could have lived with any of these small irritants, but I was charged $260 per night. This is NOT a $260 per night hotel. It is more like a $60-$100 per night hotel. The rates were hiked because Clemson had a home football game.

On the positive side, the property is easy to get to, off I85, it is an easy 10 mile drive to Clemson University, and offers plenty of restaurants surrounding it. I thought the free breakfast was good, even if it didn't have extensive choices.

Bottom line is if you got a better rate and a third floor room, I would stay again. Otherwise, I'd try one of the surrounding properties.

Room Tip: Get a third floor room at the end of a hallway to reduce the noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank SGS1260

Reviewed September 21, 2012

By Fairfield Inn standards this place is at the bottom. The mattress are very poor. Foam rubber pillows. Furniture is in poor condition. Very thin towels and wash rags. As a premiere member I was refused the request for one of the larger rooms. If you are a Rewards member stay somewhere else you will be dissipated here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ranges_2001
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Check in was easy. Staff was friendly. Rooms and bathroom were clean. Bed was more comfortable than some hotels I have stayed in. Only negative was no refrigerator, but we were able to survive that! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was a fairly good hotel, complete with Clemson Tiger paws everywhere. Clean and seems a little better built than other Fairfield Inns. I stayed on the top floor to minimize potential noise. Good night sleep, quiet. It's a newer property, which helps. Breakfast was typical for a "free" breakfast at these sort of places: waffle machine, cereal, pastries, and a fridge with some microwaveable sausage & egg biscuits. Sufficient to get you going. Bed was firm and comfortable, all linens clean (the towels were relatively thin), room smelled clean. No complaints. This chain offers just the basics for business travelers, featuring consistent and well-kept properties and this one is no exception.

There's an in-wall A/C-Heater unit under the window common to these hotels. It works fast to cool down a hot room, but is loud running (fortunately, doesn't rattle or make a loud clunk when the compressor kicks in) which you can use to your advantage to get a good nights sleep.

Good location just off I-85 on a little side street with a bunch of hotels and restaurants set up just for travelers. Great idea so you don't hear all the noise on I-85, and you can walk to: Subway, J. Peters Bar & Grill, Fatz, Outback, Hooters, Wild Wing Cafe. Other hotels: Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn (probably the nicest property around Anderson), and Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tim1962
Reviewed March 16, 2012

With a grueling business schedule of 4 different hotels in 4 different cities in 4 nights, this was the last hotel of the week before heading home. By far the was the least expensive of my stays, but was the most comfortable of the week and this hotel was rally a great surprise. My room was clean, quiet and comfortable with plenty of room. Again this was a bargain! Do not be fooled by the inexpensive rate! I would highly recommend this hotel. Like other Fairfields, there’s not a lot of amenities, but you are within walking distance to a half dozen restaurants, so you wont starve regardless of the arrival time and close to the highway.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bim55
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This Fairfield was extremely clean and well appointed. Breakfast was better than most, with a good variety of items. Rooms had good soundproofing. Staff was friendly. The ONLY negative thing was the bed. It was only as tall as the nightstand, hard and VERY uncomfortable. It was NOT a good night's sleep. At checkout the clerk asked me if everything was good, so I said, "Well, since you asked, the bed was terrible." She smiled and said, "It's my job to ask. I'm sorry I can't do anything about the bed." Wish I could give it five stars. But the quality of the beds leaves me looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have personally stayed at many Fairfield inn and Suites all over the east coast and this one had a great selection for breakfest (more than the average Fairfield Inn and Suites has!!), also the beds, as usual, were comfy...

The check-in process was simple and quick, and all staff I encounted were friendly and welcoming.

Overall, worth a stay if you need someone nice, clean, inviting to stay at while in Anderson, SC>.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderson
Hampton Inn Anderson
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Anderson - I-85
Hotel Tillman
Hotel Tillman
#6 of 11 in Clemson

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Anderson Clemson? Share your experiences!