“Comfortable and right downtown.”
Review of Carriage House Inn

Carriage House Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Aiken B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Once again we had a lovely stay at the Carriage House Inn. The location is perfect. You can walk to everything. The inn is very clean and comfortable and the staff friendly. The breakfast is not huge but ample and very good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Carriage House Inn for four nights in December, and it was wonderful. We stayed in an apartment in the back courtyard, which included a living room, kitchen, workspace, bedroom, and bathroom. The space was really comfortable, cozy, and charming.

Breakfast every day in the main house was excellent. They even kept the kitchen open a little later than usual on Christmas Day to accomodate us. The service was friendly and efficient. The manager, Abby, is a pleasure to deal with.

The location is perfect. We could walk anywhere in downtown we needed to go.

I will definately stay at the Carriage House Inn every time I'm in AIken!

ps- It's also VERY romantic!

Room Tip: I like the apartments in the back courtyard. However, there is also a really good room in the main...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PalmettoAndMoon
Anne T, Owner at Carriage House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

The Carriage House Inn is pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your visit with Trip Advisor. If you are in the Aiken area again, we hope that you will stay with us!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My daughter and I loved being downtown Aiken, just down the block from Trinity on Lauren's where we visited my grandmother. She was so proud to suggest we stay at the Carriage House Inn and now I fully understand why.The House, grounds, and staff are lovely. Abby, Angie, Andrea and Megan took great care of us on our recent stay at the Carriage House Inn. This is a truly Wonderful B&B with modern amenities and old world charm. Looking forward to a return stay.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip. The building was really quaint and well kept, my room was lovely and the breakfast service was great.
The only downside for me was that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. A complementary bottle of water each night would have been nice especially given the room rate

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sewies
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here for a wedding in Aiken. I've never stayed at a B&B before, but I was very impressed! It was so clean and cozy. The room was very large with a huge flat screen TV and large jetted tub. Although we were the photographers for the wedding and there for work, I felt so relaxed. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. And In the morning we awoke to the smell of breakfast cooking (which was delicious). I highly recommend! :)

• Stayed: August 2012
CHIAiken_SC, Front Office Manager at Carriage House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of the Carriage House Inn. It was an honor to have you as our guest. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Terrific service -- they called before we arrived to suggest changing our room due to a heavy rainstorm. Quaint room, quite large. Excellent breakfast -- you have to have the grits if you want to please the chef! Locals eat here, too. An in-town location, fine for walking and exploring. Many friends have stayed here -- and we are glad we took their advice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EagleEyeBoston
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Traveled to Aiken for business and was excited about being able to stay at the inn for the per diem rate. My wife and I have stayed at many B&B's, and I guess I had higher expectations; I enjoy staying in an historic house because I like the "history" of the house. Unfortunately, there was only one picture of the house from the 1930's, and at the time it was a service garage.
Common areas: There were some scattered antiques from the period that the houses (I believe there were 3 buildings that make up the entire property) were built (1879), but not many. There were several areas where water leaks had cracked/discolored the ceiling, and the ceiling itself was 1970's popcorn. It was a craftsman style house, and I was looking for the architectural details from the period - crown molding, woodwork, hardwood flooring, etc., but there weren't any visible. The flooring was poorly finished / refinished, and in several areas had 1/2 inch gaps between boards. All in all, it was lacking the love, details, and finishing touches that make the difference between a nice hotel and a B&B.
My room: My room was the king jacuzzi suite, which meant that it had a separate sitting area and a jetted tub. It was nice sized, and the queen 4-post bed was comfortable. There was a 32" CRT television, a couple of stuffed chairs, and a small writing desk in the sitting area, and it was convenient to have a place to work. The tub was a standard jetted model, and was large enough to lie down in. The floors again had the large gaps and popcorn ceiling, with no great details. It also had 2 small balconies that overlooked Laurens Street, but no outdoor furniture. Overall it was a comfortable room with plenty of space.
I had the continental breakfast the first morning (early meeting) and a breakfast enchilada the second morning. I was pretty underwhelmed by the breakfast; not like the others I have stayed at where you can choose between options, it was simply a single offering.
The area offered several dining choices, and many were within walking distance. The staff was friendly and helpful.
It seemed to me that the owners/managers were just doing the minimum to call the place an historic bed and breakfast. It was slightly disapointing, as I had expected more.

Room Tip: King Jacuzzi suite has the most space.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business