“Satisfactory night's stay, but a terrible breakfast.”
Review of Carriage House Inn

Carriage House Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Aiken B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Hotel has a great location in downtown Aiken and looks nice outside and in. Rooms are satisfactory, however the breakfast was terrible. I expect better from B&B's. Food served was not good, did not taste homemade and no other options offered. (Even the fruit on the plate was old). No care or attention to important part of the stay was given. Service was not great.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 5, 2010

As I am unused to travelling alone, I was a little nervous as to where to stay in Aiken whilst my husband was off working. I needn't have worried. The Carriage House was comfortable, clean and felt like home from home. Very friendly, polite people. Special mention for Jessyca, who always said hello and had a little chat when she saw me and the two people who cooked breakfast (sorry I didn't find out your names) which I enjoyed very much. I had a lovely stay and Aiken itself was a delight.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Glenyscumbria
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Where to start, hmmmmm. How about you just cannot top this property for hospitality, wonderful and charming rooms, great breakfast and best of all being in downtown Aiken, surrounded by the loveliest hosts, you could hope for. I just wouldn't stay anywhere else because work doesn't feel like work when you are staying here. The owners, Ann and Bill Thomasson are friendly, warm and knowledgeable. They and their staff will go to the wire to help you with whatever you need and make you feel like you have come home again when you make a return visit.

Stay here for business or pleasure as you will be glad you did!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Our first visit to the wonderful town of Aiken, SC was spent at the Carriage House Inn. We considered the Willcox but the Carriage House is a gem. Located right on the main thoroughfare of town, close to restaurants and shopping, we didn't regret our decision. My only suggestion to the innkeepers would be some healthier breakfast selections. One morning we had a potato/egg/sausage casserole that was 90% potatoes, the next morning we had a delicious cinnamon apple french toast but no protein either morning. Both breakfasts would have been great with a couple strips of bacon on the side. So I went looking for a healthier breakfast option to the cereal table and the only selections were rice krispies, corn flakes, fruit loops and honey graham life. I was looking for Special K's new protein plus cereal, raisin bran, kashi or something for adults watching their diet:) I went to the toaster area and found only white bread and white bagels - no cream cheese or peanut butter, only jelly. They did have a bowl of apples which was nice. The dining room is lovely though- white linen & fresh flowers, china, sunshine - a very pleasing area. With this minor improvement, I would call the Carriage House one of the nicest inns we've visited!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank palmettost8
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed while relocating to the Aiken area. We stayed in the Carriage House Inn for 2 months. When we arrived, we were very happy. We liked it a lot. We stayed in the apartment type suites that offered a living room and full kitchen with some pots and pans (need a few more). There were two closets, and plenty of storage in the kitchen for our food/groceries. Everything was great. THEN, after about a month or so, bugs began coming out of the wall all over into the bedroom. They were everywhere - on the floor, the bed, the walls - EVERYWHERE. We told them and they had an exterminator come out. They assured us that the problem was solved. THEN, again the bugs came out, but worse, oozing out of the wall in hundreds... It was the MOST HORRIBLE THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!! We told them AGAIN. Only, this time, they had come out while my son was on the bed. I'm so glad they didn't come out while we were asleep. Here's the kicker: the owner came to see us and was very kind when he talked to us. He said he would reflect our troubles on the bill. But did they? No. In fact, I had to ask for them to credit back the night we weren't able to sleep there. They had no other accommodations, and we had to go to another hotel. We paid thousands for that two months, and they did nothing when we had to take our belongings, covered in bugs, out of that hotel. I've never been so dissapointed.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank familyZ
CHIAiken_SC, Owner at Carriage House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

The Carriage House Inn strives to do our best to accommodate our guests. This is the first complaint we have received about a “bug problem” during the last nine years in business. Even though we did not have a termite problem, we credited the guest over four hundred dollars due to their inconvenience. Please be advised the review was written a year after the guests stay. In 2009, we were ranked as 1 of the top 129 hotels in North America in the National Geographic Traveler’s Magazine. We hope you will stay with us at the Carriage House Inn and enjoy the true Carriage House Inn experience!

Reviewed June 15, 2009

The staff was very friendly and our room (room 15, premium, in the main building) was so comfortable and spacious. Breakfast was "just right" and refreshments available in the afternoon were a welcome respite between outings. The location is PERFECT for exploring downtown Aiken. Many restaurants and shops were within walking distance so we were so glad to use the inn as a home base. The downtown spirit is wonderful! We HIGHLY recommend visiting The Old Aiken Market for beverages, snacks, or even deli meal items. Casa Bella Italian restaurant served the MOST delicious sea bass and a delightful atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2009

This was our third trip to Aiken on personal business. We like to stay downtown and it was so good to find an alternative to the Hotel Aiken, which I could not take again. We stayed there the first two times. The Carriage House Inn staff made us feel welcome from the initial phone call to book the reservation.

The Carriage House is clean, charming and comfortable. Our room, which had a screened-in porch available to us, was beautifully furnished. There is more than just the main building. We were in a limited-access building off the courtyard. We like to walk around town and went to dinner at the Alley, as usual.

We did not take advantage of the breakfast before we left, but it sure looked good. I did get coffee, which was excellent.

I am so glad to have found the Carriage House and we look forward to staying there on our future trips to Aiken.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business