“Great staff attitude makes for a pleasant dinner”

The Willcox Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 177 Restaurants in Aiken
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Great staff attitude makes for a pleasant dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

On the advice of traveling friends, we saught out and thoroughly enjoyed dining at The Willcox. The menu was large and mouth watering, but we had been out on the road for three days and ordered steaks, which we usually don't do. The lobby, bar and dining room are elegant and seeped in tradition. The dining room was busy, and we had no reservations but were seated in the comfortable bar. Service was top knotch. The steaks were cooked just slightly more than we prefer. When the waiter asked, we did mention it. He apologized and comped our liqueur bill, which was a very nice and unexpected gesture. All in all a good experience. We will go back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TWDickinson

Aiken, South Carolina
“Dessert Better Than Entree”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had dinner there-it is a beautiful hotel, indeed full of history as it is part of the Old Aiken Winter Colony. I had a chicken entree with potatoes and vegetables, very every day -- It was presented in a very nice manner, but was not earth shatteringly good. It was an entree that I could have easily prepared myself. HOWEVER, the DESSERT I chose was spectacular: it was a Chocolate Granache dessert with the Willcox's special homemade vanilla ice cream topped with hazelnuts. Incredible. So, I would definitely recommend the dessert there. Perhaps one of the other entrees would have bowled me over more. All in all, a nice place, very clean and the waitstaff were pleasant.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank JewelsAiken_SC
Aiken, South Carolina
“Fine Fare in a Southern city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel accommodations notwithstanding (oops, they are outstanding), the restaurant is well worth the experience. My recommendation, to experience the talents of the chef, is to try the soup of the day. Just a cup of some of the most unusual concoctions is an eye opener to what is on the menu. We've been there numerous times and have yet to be let down. Complement the soup with a sampling of the appetizers, and voila, you've left room for dessert!!!!!
Save the entre for the next visit.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Pat K
Southington, CT
“Food quality does not reflect the elegant southern atmosphere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went with a group of friends which included an Aiken resident who served as our guide and hostess. This was to be our fine-dining experience for the trip. Unfortunately, the dining wasn't so fine. There was a mix-up as to our reservation time because two parties reserved under the same last name for early evening dining. We ended up seated at a table in the hotel lobby, which was not awful because we could people-watch as guests and customers went in and out of the hotel, but not optimum, either. Most of us ordered NY Strip, which was too tough for one member of our party. My NY Strip was actually a ribeye seasoned like an old-style Ponderosa steak. We had the option of a side of a carmelized onion sauce that looked remarkably like A-1 in a steel ramekin probably used for ketchup for the burgers with fries. Our Aikenite hostess had Bernaise sauce, so she was happier those of us expecting onions. I reckon we were expecting steak au poivre. Later, my friend with the tough steak asked for the tapioca dessert which came out looking like a hockey puck and was impenetrable by fork. She sent it back, and the restaurant took it off her bill. In fairness, I have to say that the atmosphere was wonderful. I put up with a lot when a place is decorated with equine art (note my Trip Advisor handle.) However, for a fancy place with a reputation for southern elegance, the attention to detail, let alone basic food quality, was lacking.

I also want to add that we had visited The Willcox earlier in the week for a musical performance by some jazz musicians from Julliard playing live music in the lobby. We received wonderful bar service. I have to admit that the room was crowded and hot, so we left soon. For those who want to attend such performances, I recommend arriving very early and staking your claim to seating. In fairness, that was much more of a positive experience than the meal on Saturday night.

• Visited March 2013
Hampton
“Beautiful building, great food and staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food was not only good but many healthy choices.The building looks like a very old historic building in fantastic condition, great staff and you can even stay there.
The prices were worth every dollar and not as much as some of the others in town.
Parking was a little tough but it was a very busy night in town and all of the restaurants had parking issues.

Visited February 2013

Been to The Willcox Restaurant? Share your experiences!