“Thoroughly Enjoyed Our Meals” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Stables Restaurant at Rose Hill Estate

The Stables Restaurant at Rose Hill Estate
Ranked #7 of 176 Restaurants in Aiken
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: After three years of extensive renovations to make the turn of the century horse stables (one of four in America)into a beautiful and cozy place for diners, The Stables Restaurant at Rose Hill Estate opened in the fall of 2009. The restaurant and catering is directed by two experienced and creative culinary school graduates. The Dinner menu is freshly prepared with premium ingredients featuring seafood, steaks, plus German and Italian dishes. A smaller menu is available for casual dining in the bar, screened porch, patio and beer garden. The Stables Restaurant moves to the Mansion Inn from Dec 31-March 17
New Jersey
“Thoroughly Enjoyed Our Meals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had the French onion soup appetizer - just right, not too much cheese, lots of flavor
I had Seafood grits for my entrée - didn't even know that I was eating grits - I am not a Southerner. It was delicious and the portion size was just right. My dining companions ordered German menu items as they are German. Not sure which items - sauerbraten maybe and they were very pleased. I think the other diner had schnitzel and loved it. The only puzzling thing about our evening is that we were all alone in the dining room on a Saturday night. Needless to say the service was excellent. No one had dessert - the dessert choices sounded boring.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Aiken,SC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We visit the restaurant for the first time yesterday to celebrate my husband's bday. The food was very good , but the highligt of the night was an appetizer , "carmelized pork belly" !
Yes, they are a bit pricier then some restaurants but I think highly worth a good night out if your looking for a place for great food, a nice environment and an excellent staff! Specially Kenna :)

• Visited July 2013
Aiken, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow Service for a Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you scrolled down this far you are seeing some of the problems people have had with this place. After a good dining experience about year ago, we returned with our son and daughter-in-law to celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary. The atmosphere was as before--very nice. But I found that the menu had been changed about six months earlier and the dish I specifically wanted to order was no longer available. Nonetheless, there are plenty of choices. So I settled on the Black Forest Schnitzel. I have had schnitzel at several other restaurants and loved it. This offering was vinegar overkill, with everything on the plate saturated. Usually there is a side (like mashed potatoes) to break up the "sour", but not here. I feel like I left with my entire digestive system "puckered." The veal was below par...tough and tasteless. Definitely not the quality of meat I would expect from a restaurant in this price range.

The service was friendly but soooooo slow. It took over an hour to get our food after it was ordered. The table next to ours had to wait even longer. After some confusion with the check (I got another table's check and they got mine), I endeavored to do a quick perusal to make sure I had, in fact, gotten my check. I was surprised to see that the "check" was like a cash register receipt at a small store. It consisted of a list of numbers, but no detail, making it virtually impossible to verify the check. My wife had ordered, then cancelled, a soup. With all the drinks, appetizers, salads, and desserts we had ordered simply listed as dollar amounts, it was virtually impossible to tell if the soup had been removed from the bill. I still don't know if I paid for something we didn't get.

To be fair, two members of our party ordered steaks, which were very good. But the sum total of our experience last night probably means that we will not return.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Alan W
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Schnitzel!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a lovely dinner we had at the Rosehill Stables Restaurant! I was tickled to see Schnitzel on the menu -- one of all time favorite dishes from my teenage years spent in Germany. What a fabulous meal -- the Chef was so accommodating to our group! The food, the service, the atmosphere -- all excellent. We will be back to the Stables (and Rose Hill!) again and again!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank bamcafe
Aiken, South Carolina
“Spent our Wedding Weekend here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We got married in the chapel, rented the guest house for the weekend and had dinner for our wedding party & guests in the Stables. Everything was lovely. The food is to die for!

Visited December 2012