“Shrimp and Grits -- Awesome”
Review of The Red Pepper

The Red Pepper
Ranked #17 of 178 Restaurants in Aiken
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Red Pepper is a family owned, local south side Aiken restaurant. We feature a fabulous menu, full bar, great service and the best patio dining in the Aiken area. The Pepper offers daily Chef's featured dishes including many seafood, steak, and a variety not found elsewhere in the area.We're family friendly, relaxed and fun. Live music weekly. Large private banquet room for special events and parties.Come join us!
Bel Air, Maryland
“Shrimp and Grits -- Awesome”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had dinner with my brother and his family on July 2. The six adults selected four different entrees. The Salmon was Great, The Pork loin was slightly over cooked, the blacked
Mahi Mahi sandwich had too much seasoning ( too hot ) but the Shrimp and Grits were Awesome. Our server was great and could not have been more attentive. We will try it again
on our next visit to Aiken.

• Visited July 2013

Aiken, South Carolina
“Very good food. Very good service”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I went for dinner May 31. I had the airline baked chicken with a sherry cream sauce that was excellent. Wife had mahi-mahi tacos that she said were very good but a little fishy tasting. Wine is reasonably priced and the wait staff was efficient and friendly.Will definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
Arroyo Grande, California
“Almost the best kept secret in Aiken.”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Aiken is a historical Southern town with plenty of charm and character. If you an equestrian fan, Aiken has plenty for you. Of course, if you golf, you are very close to Augusta. Then there's that little thermonuclear weapons fabrication facility nearby...The Savannah River Site. Don't worry, it's very safe and a welcome addition to the community that was founded in 1835.

Okay, now that the cat's out of the bag, lets get down to it. The Red Pepper. You can check them out here: http://redpepperaiken.com/.

We visited on a pleasantly warm Thursday night. I called and asked if a reservation was necessary. The response was, "You had better get one if you want to sit outside and hear the band". I booked 7pm for our group of 4.

Upon arrival, I noticed the parking lot was quite full. You enter from the outdoor patio (formerly the garden center of a hardware store). They were about 75% full with a line at the hostess podium. We were politely greeted by an attractive young lady and quickly seated at our reserved table directly in front of the stage. Perfect for the upcoming performance of The Mike Frost Band (http://mikefrostband.com/).

The menu is llimited but has sufficient variety and in my opinion warranted so they can focus on making good quality food. We ordered beer (bottled only). The beers arrived quickly and were cold. Wine and cocktails are also available. Water was also served without asking.

We placed our order consisting of Shrimp & Grits, Fried Chicken and Mahi Mahi Tacos. Time from order to service was about 10 minutes. Food looked good with attractive arrangements. No complaints from the table as we listened to the jazz provided by the band and ate. If you have read my other reviews, you know that I'm very critical of restaurants, especially when it comes to food quality, seasoning, and proper cooking technique. No complaints here. Serving size was very good, flavor and texture very good. Price was very reasonable (4 dinners plus 4 drinks each came to $123).

Was there anything to complain abaout? Yes. It was not hot tonight (around 80 when we sat down) and it was not too humid. I can only imagine what it would be once the high heat and humidity set in. My guests were locals and assured me that this outdoor dining room is quite pleasant throughout the year. When it does get cold, they bring out the propane heaters. The major complaint I had tonight was the band was a bit too loud (keep in mind we were seated right in front of them). The other complaint? We had to leave too soon.

We'll be back.

By the way, on June 20, 2013 The Mike Frost Band will be back and recording a music video. Get your reservations early!

• Visited May 2013
Aiken, South Carolina, United States
“Mahi Mahi Tacos!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Been here twice: one lunch one dinner. The lunch was pretty good, nothing special. Now the dinner was awesome!! Those were the BEST Mahi Mahi taco's I have ever had! Price wasn't to bad.

• Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Where's the beef?!?!?”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

So I have never been to this restaurant before, so I had no idea what to expect. Well to make a long story short. I ordered a shrunken little cheese burger that came on this huge roll, and the fries have no taste at all. Not impressed and won't be back.

• Visited March 2013

Been to The Red Pepper? Share your experiences!