“Best bet for the money”

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Aiken
Charlotte, NC
“Best bet for the money”
Reviewed April 20, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay here and overall it was pretty good. We were in town for a wedding and the groom suggested the Holiday Inn Express. The housekeepers and most of the staff were very friendly. The free breakfast was good - they had a much larger selection than most hotels. It was quiet and very clean. The room was large and comfortable. The air conditioner was great - cold, but not freezing. The bed was nice, but the sheets were extremely scratchy - I'm used to 700+ thread count at home - these felt like sandpaper to me! The only big problem was that when we returned to the hotel after going out and tried to get into our room, the key card sometimes wouldn't open the door. This happened maybe 6 times out of 10. So we would have to walk downstairs and all across the hotel to get the desk clerk to fix it... That was a pain. It was obviously the lock and not the key, so I would suggest if you have a similar problem to switch rooms right away.

• Liked — Very quiet and clean.
  • Disliked — Scratchy sheets!!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank kmc1975

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
lawrenceville,ga
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I am just back from a one night stay at this location. It is convenient, comfortable and most of all QUIET! They put me in the back corner of the hotel that faces the woods and it was super. There is an Applebee's right across the street and that is convenient. There are additional restaurants and stores about 2 miles away. The staff was super friendly and helpul. A pleasant stay and I would stay here again in a heartbeat.
I spend 80 nights per year away from home and this location is one I would recommend. The only drawback is the exterior doorway but I felt very safe and it did not pose a problem.

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank motherjanegoose
charleston,south carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2007

The staff at the Holiday Inn Express were very polite and help
ful. The room was very Clean and up dated. My Husband and I
enjoyed are stay there very much and we will stay again.

• Liked — The staff and the size of the room
  • Disliked — parking close to the room was hard the frist night
  • Stayed May 2007
2 Thank JLRoss
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed April 9, 2007

We stayed here for one night during the Masters. The staff was so kind and professional. We had a small issue with the bathroom and before I could hang up the telephone to report it someone was there to solve the problem. They had a wonderful little happy hour at the hotel in the evening and a great little breakfast.
The rooms were clean and quiet. We couldn't have asked for anything more.
The treatment we received was equal to that of a 5 star hotel - actually better - no one had false airs - just wonderful southern hospitality.

• Liked — Friendly and professional staff
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard W
Mt Plymouth, FL
Reviewed January 4, 2007

We had no trouble at all. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Breakfast was excellant & we plan to stay there again. The total price with luxury tax & fees was $105. I would definitely reccomend this to anyone traveling. Aiken downtown has changed over the years and is now delightful.

K & M
Mt. Plymouth, FL

• Liked — The room was very nice.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FLKateD
South Florida FL
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Stayed here on a land buying trip to Aiken and was very pleased with the accomodations. Everything clean, well-maintained and efficiently run. We used the washer late one night and the desk staff was kind enough to let us collect our clothes even tho the office was closed. Very convenient to downtown, historic and horse areas altho not within walking distance. The breakfast bar was the best I've ever seen.

The only negative is that they do not have working wi-fi internet as advertised. Apparently it has been down a while. I was unhappy with this as it was the main reason I had picked this hotel. Make sure you download and sign up for a Boingo account before you go and you will be able to use that ($9.95 / per 24 hours).

Overall a great value and a great place to stay in Aiken as long as you can deal with the lack of free wi-fi.

• Liked — Price & location
  • Disliked — No wireless internet altho it was advertised as having free wi-fi!
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a Boingo wi-fi account before you go.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donza
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2005

If you plan to stay at the Holiday Inn Express - Whiskey Rd in Aiken, SC beware of the difficulty in checking out.

The hotel required a credit card to secure the room and they advised that they would bill the card for the full amount of stay "as a deposit". No problem to me. The problem came in time to check out. I did not want to leave the charges on my credit card and had the full amount in my hand in cash. When I told the front desk clerk that I wanted to check out and pay, her response was "the problem is we charged the full amount to your credit card". Ok, reverse the charges on my card and take my cash. She couldnt do it and the person who could would not be in for another 1.5 hours. Since I had to leave in 20 minutes, this didnt help. We debated this more and she called the manager on duty. Thru the phone to the front desk he said the same thing: the person who could do that would not be in for 1.5 hours. A manager that cant reverse charges??? Hard to believe.

So my room was billed without my consent, a front desk clerk who can only charge for room but cant reverse the charges, and a manger who wont see guest on billing issues.

Be careful staying here.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Aiken hotels