“Great Weekend Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
“Great Weekend Hotel”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I had my doubts when we got there on a Friday night and the lobby was packed, restaurant was full, and people were everywhere! We were told we could grab a seat anywhere, outside, in the lobby, in our room and they would bring us our food.

But I quickly realized that the casual, laid back atmosphere is what makes this small hotel so great.

The food was really good, the room was nice, the service was excellent. The pool was small, but amazing because most of the time there was only one or two people there.

Breakfast - they have fresh breads, yummy teas, homemade Greek yogurt to die for. But like most hotels if you get there at the very end of breakfast they are out of a lot of stuff.

Lots of great restaurants within walking distance, downtown a few blocks away. Hotel has bikes that make a fun way to see the area. Horse stables within blocks of the hotel.

I don't think there's enough to do to spend a whole week in Aiken, but for a weekend it is a fun getaway.

Also I had a facial and massage at spa by a girl named Amy, both were great.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank bbdeluca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
santa monica
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Willcox Hotel is tucked into the sweetest town in the south, Aiken, SC. I visit Aiken every year and am always anxious to return to the this boutiquey hotel. The amenities are analogous to any Ritz or Four Seasons, and the staff are sweet and "on it".

You can walk everywhere in town from the hotel, to polo, to restaurants or, downstairs to their very popular restaurant.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. It's high end at it's highest, and comfort at it's best. You will genuinely feel like a local in luxury.

Room Tip: Make sure you eat at the restaurant, they have an extraodinary chef from New Zealand!
Green Features: I always check to see if hotels actually put their environmental plans into action, as it's important to me. The Willcox, gets another 5 star there!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kelly s
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We arrived Thursday and were pleased to find an fantastic Jazz band playing so we cozied up on a big couch, enjoyed some wine and great paté. The room was gorgeous and the bed was so comfortable I had the best night sleep I had had in a long time. The rocking chairs on the front porch made a splendid place to enjoy our coffee the next morning before our walk in the Hitchcock woods. The message in the Willcox spa was just what we needed after our walk. The main street of town was so quaint we spent the day shopping and exploring. We were tired after shopping so for dinner we ordered room service and watched movies in our room, the meal was delicious. The art exhibit in the hotel was amazing as was the staff and the overall ambiance of the Willcox. I will definitely return to the Willcox.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed at The Willcox 4 or 5 times in the last 2 years, with the most recent trip a month ago. Once for a getaway with my husband, the rest of the time with our 2 kids in tow. The weekend we spent as a couple was fantastic. We stayed in the Churchill suite - beautiful, private and luxurious, and we loved having our own private little porch. We had massages and took advantage of the free yoga class at the nearby studio. We've stayed as a family in the summer and loved the pool area and how accommodating the staff was -so helpful when you have the kids with you (ours are 4 & 7). The complementary continental breakfast goes far beyond the usual pastries and bad coffee at most places. The breads for toast and the muffins are all locally sourced and fresh baked. The eggs and milk are farm fresh. So good! We have also stayed as a family in the winter. Again, the breakfast was fabulous, the room was luxurious and we loved having a mini fridge at our disposal. We had a special event dinner. Delicious and the staff was attentive and really accommodating with the kids. I recommend The Willcox to anyone I know is going to be in or near Aiken. Great for a girls' weekend, romantic getaway or family vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Although we live local hubby made plans for us to stay for a special weekend and while the spa, people and personality of the hotel stands out, it doesn't quite hit 5 star, it's the little yet obvious misses in up keep that surprised me, old paint, worn furniture, towels with ragged edges... I guess the worst part is our room never got below 80 because the air conditioner would not turn on and all the desk would do was apologize, again not what I expect from a 5 star hotel. I have had better response from the chains I frequent for my work travel.

• Stayed May 2013
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
We very much appreciate our guest's feedback and constructive criticism. In this example, unfortunately the A/C did freeze up in this guests room Saturday evening and we could not get anyone to fix it before morning. A fan was brought up to the room in an effort to make the guests more comfortable. We would have liked to move these guests to a different room but the hotel was completely sold out. Management met with these guests before they checked out and the guests were informed that their room charges would be 100% refunded. The guests were not charged for their room night.

The Willcox is a beautifully restored historic property. We appreciate our guests feedback and will be contacting this guest directly to discuss their disappointment in more detail. We take our responsibility as stewards of this incredible property very seriously. We apologize for the situation and appreciate the feedback.
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We booked 12/24/12-12/27/12. The management was on vacation those dates. I ordered and paid $75 for a 7' - 8' Christmas tree. I got there and it was under 5'. Staff said 'what do you expect, I ran all over Aiken today (12/24) and this is all there was, we can't store trees ya know.' I brought my Marine sons fav foods and put in the refrigerator and everything spoiled as it didn't work. Staff said ' I can't go and exchange it with another's room without managements ok and they are gone for 3 days.' There was no hot water for all four days. Staff said to 'use the shower located 2 flights down in the spa.' These are only the highlights of the multitude of what ruined a Christmas for us. The good news is management gave us half of our money back.

Green Features: We were totally unaware of any energy or green policies it was a free for all as far as we saw those 4 days!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank P M
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff is very welcoming and accommodating. The hotel and the rooms have old fashion charm. We stayed in the Washington Suite, which is 2 spacious rooms. One is the usual large bed room and very spacious bathroom. The adjacent large room has an additional TV as well as, a couch and chairs. We stayed only one night, it was too much room for 2 people. Certainly ideal for a family or longer stay. Dinner was a bit disappointing, The food preparation was average. Waiter was great.The Breakfast buffet was lovely and plentiful.
Aiken is a wonderful walking town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple