“An unexpected pleasure”
Review of Va La Vineyards

Va La Vineyards
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Avondale
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was given a bottle of wine from this vineyard two years ago and was surprised by the quality. At that time I vowed to go to the winery at some point to see for myself.

Last week I did just that and the surprise continued. We did the wine tasting which was slow and deliberate with the wines being served paired to local cheeses and chocolates. It was a 45 minute experience in which we enjoyed one white and three reds..

The wine is exceptional for this part of the world. I have a wine cellar and prefer big red wine from Washington State or California. The wine here at Va La was, of course, not on the level of those big wines but I bought a case so that speaks for itself.

The wine barn is quaint and comfortable and the tasting area is clean and comfortable. The hostess was cheerful and engaging. She had an almost Bohemian quality - in the best sense of that word.

All in all I would go back - it was a pleasant break.

All reviews
"for sale"
"chocolate"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The wine was WONDERFUL! and the family that runs things and shares their family history wine bread and culture with you are the best! This was a date for my birthday from my husband and it was a great one. Just going in for a tasting is nothing like any other we have done before. A great time was had by all! I highly recommend Va La if you are in the area.

2  Thank Stefanie D
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The best locally made wine I've ever had. Usually end up going here a few times a year. The bottles are more expensive than most PA wines. But, they are worth the extra money because you will enjoy them.

2  Thank Jon I
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Once you visit Va La you'll realize good wines can be made anywhere - even in Pennsylvania. True, weather and soil aren't as good as in Nappa, but all it requires is enterprise and ingenuity.
Before coming to the winery, browse their unique website All pictures and content are created by the visionary behind the winery.
The grounds and tasting room are beautiful. Go upstairs and get in line. You'll hear about the winery's quest to create the perfect grape for Pennsylvania soil and climate, and his extreme blending practices of up to 6 grapes in a single batch.
The wines keep changing from year to year, in tune with the declared strategy, so if you like their wines the place is worth re-visiting every year, as we've been doing.
The Mahogany is a super rich deep red wine, with long after taste and unique aroma, Excellent with meat.
If you go for the more understated wines, try Silk, It's got less of a bite and the smooth after taste is perfect for a cheese platter afternoon.
If you like your classic cabs and Merlo, this place is a new experience. The wines is different, bold and intriguing and even if you don't like it as much as the famous California wines - I believe for many of you like me you'll realize it's eminently drinkable and come back next year to follow the progress of a true modern-era wine pioneer.

3  Thank Amit M