“RUDE Terrible”
Review of Weatherbury Farm

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avella
Weatherbury Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Avella B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I wish I had read the terrible review here before I bothered to contact the Weatherbury Farm "folks". I wrote them in February a nice email asking about the accommodations for my 2 year old and myself, traveling alone in June. I noted that the only train service would have us arrive around 9pm and I asked if they could accept us at that late hour.
The response I got back weeks later was snotty and incredibly rude. Marcy Tudor wrote that they are farmers (gee, really?) and that it would "be best" if I checked into a hotel instead of coming to them, and strangely, cited that many others "from New York City" had planned to take the train, but no one did. (What does that have to do with anything?) She goes on in this condescending manner about her recent vacation and how I should go elsewhere for everything like groceries- no maps provided. The kookiest part was her talking about my 2 year old completing a workbook... as another reviewer noted, these people don't have even a small clue about children.
Nonetheless, I replied and asked her specifically if she would accept us arriving at 9pm from the train.
I got no answer.
Save yourself a trip- I noticed also that the positive reviewer lives near the farm. If you are coming from a distance... you put yourself in a bad position with these hosts from hades. Take the proprietor's advice: STAY ELSEWHERE!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank SingleMomTravels
marcytudor, Owner at Weatherbury Farm, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2010

It makes us heartsick that a negative review can be published online because we didn’t reply to an email we didn’t receive.

We did not get this person’s 2nd email. We did receive her 3rd email to which we did reply (It appears that this review was written before we even received her 3rd email.) As we explained to her, our policy is that we have a 7:30 cutoff for check-ins because we find that families when they come to the farm are full of energy (and children are usually quite wound up). Later arrivals prove disruptive to other families who are getting ready for bed. The train from New York is scheduled to arrive just after 8 PM if it is on-time, so she would not be at the farm before 10 PM at the earliest (when all of the families would have been asleep) – thus spending the night in Pittsburgh and arriving at the farm the next day makes eminent sense.

In her 3rd email, among other niceties, she wrote “I wish you weevils.” We replied “We wish you joy” as it certainly seems like she needs some.

We do, by the way, have many 2 year olds visit the farm. They have a wonderful time putting stickers on the worksheet (with their parents’ help & the parents are having fun learning as well); the children delight in receiving the farm kid certificate and cow wrist band.

There are newer reviews for Weatherbury Farm
Reviewed January 19, 2010

It has been three years since I last stayed at Weatherbury Farm, but for many years before that my daughter and I, and various friends and relatives with us, stayed here each summer and enjoyed ourselves very much. We really liked the owners and their son, and liked the feel of being on a working farm. Yes, there is stuff lying around, because this IS a working farm. I never saw either of the owners be unpleasant or rude to anyone, they were always friendly, helpful and accommodating. This is not a glitzy place and I can see why some might not like it (a friend who grew up on a farm said she did not want to experience that again) but it was a great place for my city kid to have some exposure to farm life. I was sorry to read the harsh review and wanted to share my much more positive experience with Weatherbury.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Needsavacation
Reviewed July 5, 2009

A group of families went to Weatherbury farm this July for a family celebration. In the first place, the property is in disrepair. There are piles of rusted junk all over the place, the gutter is falling off the front of the house. It looks like a dump.

Secondly, they are anything but family friendly. After leaving out a pile of bricks in front of the patio where we were staying, they got bent out of shape that our kids began building things with them. There are old tractors all over the place, but it's against the rules for kids to sit on them (a difficult rule to explain to a 3 yo boy obsessed with tractors). They complained that the kids were handling the kittens too much. The topper was the gate to the pool fence that was barely hanging by a single hinge. One of the kids pushed it too hard and the gate fell off. The owners yelled at the kid and then proceeded to chew out the adults, accusing the kids of being too wild. If you can't handle kids, don't market yourself as a kid-friendly place. I could not believe how rude these people are - clearly in the wrong business.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank TravelingMom51

As we have many return guests each year and 100’s of wonderful thank you notes, we are sad when someone doesn’t enjoy their visit to Weatherbury Farm. However, a farm vacation is not for everyone.

As a working farm, safety is our number one priority. As we strive to continue our 18 year perfect farm safety record, we cannot have children throwing bricks at each other, crawling over farm machinery, picking up cats and getting scratched or roaming around the farm unsupervised. (Thus we send families farm safety rules prior to their visit.)

We tell guests that Weatherbury Farm is not Disneyland. We do have old farm equipment and it is parked outside until we can afford an equipment shed. (Did you know that the farmer makes 9 cents out of every dollar you pay for food?)

If you are looking for the “perfect” farm, I understand that Disneyworld does have one. If you are interested in farming & agriculture, learning about where your food comes from and making some farm memories on a sustainable, integrated working farm, Weatherbury Farm might be the place for you.

Been to Weatherbury Farm? Share your experiences!