“$21!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Coulter Ave. and St. James Place
Transit: Suburban Square is conveniently located to Septa's Regional Rail at Ardmore Station. Accessible by multiple bus routes along Montgomery and Lancaster Avenues.
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“$21!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Double shot tequila sunrise and Sailor Jerry rum (was not informed it wasn't going to be capt. morgan) and coke = $21! It's a shame we won't be back...looks like a real nice place but wreaked of old money and new world prices. We'll stick with our favorites Primavera (great $5 drink happy hour 5-7pm), Tired Hands with some of the best home brewed beer far and near, and McShea's with great food, great service, great drinks and great people. You can keep your suburban square prices! We'll stay on the other side of the tracks for now! PS the bartender was very nice and poured a nice drink in the 10-12 oz glass.

1 Thank KG42

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Mixed Reviews Out Here. Our Experience was Great”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Funny how spotty the reviews of the St. James are out here. Within our circle, too, we saw lots of variation from visit to visit. The first time my wife went by herself, she felt that as a woman seated alone she was basically ignored and that the food was mediocre. This time as a family we were very well treated for brunch.The room is spacious with a cool gray toned New Orleans jazzy kind of feel. The wooden tables are roomy and attractive. The food was very creative. A beet salad with steak was excellent. An aged ham with grain mustard, vegetables and baguettes hit the mark as did the Cobb Salad. A macaroni, bacon and cheese appetizer was creamy and the little bits of bacon were crispy. The biggest hit was a french toast brioche with fruit compote and maple syrup. It was very lightly and slightly refried which gave it a great finishl. A hint of chocolate laced the syrup.There were other temptations on the menu from Steak Frites to a charcuterie, an appealing cheese bord, chocolate pancake, wraps, omelettes, crab and egg Hollandaise, a burger, salmon tartare and more. I pigged out (literally) with great sausages and bacon on the side. The bill for four with drinks was a little expensive for brunch ($135 or so before tip) but manageable enough and woirth it.The price steepens because everything is a la carte. The staff was not at all surly and indifferent as described in other reviews. Just the opposite. Maybe they finally get it at the St. James or maybe we just caught them on the upside of the mood swing cycle. We will go again.

1 Thank TommyBoy94
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“You don't always get what you pay for”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I previously visited this restaurant a month or two ago and while I found it quite expensive had a high quality turkey sandwich and decided it was worth the extra money. On my return last week the turkey was disappointedly off the menu. I considered a pastrami sandwich but was concerned it would not be "real " pastrami and requested a small taste before ordering. The kitchen refused and my mistake ordered it anyway. It was not to my liking and barely worth the $15 cost. ( if you are interested in pastrami try Hymies, cheaper, twice as much meat and much tastier. The waitress asked about my food and when I indicated my displeasure did not offer to replace it. In addition when I expressed my concerns to the manager I received no help. If this was just a luncheonette I would not expect great service but at such a upscale, high cost restaurant I expect better service e.g., a comment that a dish was a bit spicy at Sang Kee brought an a whole new dish to take home. I will probably not return to the restaurant as I have been treated better at many neighboring establishments.

1 Thank Karen H
Narberth, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good option for dinner”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

With its outdoor seating, we got to eat under the stars - a nice treat. A friend and I were there for dinner and decided on salads (hers was the chopped, mine was the tomato and mozzarella - both were delicious), and then split the mushroom flatbread (best part of the meal) and fresh made fettucini with pesto, peas, and cherry tomatoes (fair). Our waitress and a gentleman we assume was the manager checked in throughout our meal, but not too much. We walked away knowing we would be back - and though the pasta was not what we had hoped for, the manager made it right for us.

• Visited August 2013
Philadelphia
“Somewhere in the middle”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had lunch with a friend here. She has a beet salad entree. It was tiny, more like a side salad. She did enjoy it. I had the Big Eye Tuna wrap. It was a big portion and came with a side salad. I wished there were some salt on the table, as the sandwich needed it. It was good but a bit bland.

Service was attentive. Someone from the kitchen was going table to table asking how everything was. Our server was attentive but not overbearing. The the only glitch was that the young fellow serving the bread elbowed my friend in the back of the head as he served the next table. No damage done and he did say sorry. He looked like this was his first job ever!

The prices were on target for what you get, with perhaps the exception of the beet salad, which was $11 for a very small all-vegetable salad.

The biggest problem was the noise and the place was half empty. This seems to be a problem with too many restaurants. I would go back for lunch, maybe not with a larger dinner crowd. I give it a thumbs in the middle rating.

• Visited July 2013