“Sour”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Coulter Ave. and St. James Place
Transit: Suburban Square is conveniently located to Septa's Regional Rail at Ardmore Station. Accessible by multiple bus routes along Montgomery and Lancaster Avenues.
Philly
“Sour”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This place has a huge potential and a great crowd of customers if only they would do the right thing. We had some drinks - beer and wine lists are limited - drink I had (house margarita) was mediocre. We had some appetizers - octopus and fire cracker shrimp - portions were so tiny and both had an overdose of vinegar or vinegrette. Whatever it was made of, it was over done and ruined the dish for me - very sour - yuck. Entrees - we ordered the brisket, fresh fettucine and kale salad. Portion sizes were so small for prices - this is not downtown! The brisket was ok but only 4 gnocchi with it, pasta was flavorless, kale salad was pretty good but small.

Service...our waiter knew nothing. Any question we asked he said the menu had just changed and he wasn't sure - so lame. However, service was not slow - just ignorant.

I would say if the St James wants to act like a center city restaurant they need knowledgable experienced staff, they need a more perfect menu with original items to chose from. I looked over the menu and nothing sounded appealing to me - roasted chicken? Really? So boring! And get rid of that vinegar all over things.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank BiancaPhilly

Haverford, Pennsylvania
“Terrible. Disappointing meal,overpriced”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Can't recommend and won't return. Met friends to celebrate a birthday and it was a disappointment from begininng to end. Not one of us had a good meal at St. James.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank ver c
Pennsylvania
“Service and good seafood”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Sunday night, being a local from Ardmore, I walked over with my daughter and had an early lite bite for dinner . My daughter had French Onion Soup which was excellent. She ordered a Cesar salad which was easily big enough to share. The dressing was a heavy mayonnaise dressing made it impossible to eat, however the quality of the lettuce was fresh and crisp. I ordered muscles which came in a Thai style broth, not heavy or oily at all in fact ,it was quite flavorful.
As I drank my local artisanal 5 dollar brew, the service and staff were helpful. We will go back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank travelPAUSA
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“They've Taken the Reviews to Heart”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

It was with trepidation, having read some recent professional reviews of this place, that I went for lunch/brunch last Saturday. As it turns out, my fears were groundless. The place was not mobbed so perhaps that accounts, at least in part, for the pleasant welcome, better than okay food, and terrific service. It's not great but I would certainly return for a casual meal.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank jagman8f
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Two Strikes..You're Out!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My first meal there two weeks after they opened was terrible as noted in my first review. I heard they'd gotten a new chef,so decided to give it another try, this time for lunch. My dining companion and I ordered a Caesar salad with grilled chicken. My chicken was so dry I couldn't swallow it. My companions piece was thicker and not dry, but neither piece had much taste. I figure rthat both pieces were cooked the same amount of time without taking into considereation the different thickness. The shaved parmesan pieces were very tiny and sparse. The hostess came over and asked how everything was. When I told her about my chicken she apologized and quickly offered to get me something else. I ordered the mushroom soup. It was very tasty, but barely lukewarm. When The hostess came back to check, I told her it was good, but suggested she tell the chef that on future orders, it needed to be hotter. She offered to take it back, but I didn't want to wait any longer. For the prices they charge, the portions could be larger. Our waitress was very sweet, the staff attentive in keeping our water glasses filled. Will I go back a third time? Not a chance.

• Visited March 2013