“Enjoyable beer and fare”

Tired Hands Brewing Company
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Ardmore
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 25, 2013

A friend of mine suggested this place after a trip to Clover Market. We sampled the Hop Hands brew and the flavor was good with hints of citrus. We ordered a sandwich to try and beforehand were brought some bread/butter and pickles. The bread was very dense and the pickles were perfect especially if you enjoy salt. It was an interesting bar with a regular crowd that brings in their growlers to refill. If you enjoy trying new things and new beer this a good stop. It was friendly and just a good place to have lunch and get a growler to go.

There are newer reviews for Tired Hands Brewing Company

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My partner and I go to Tired Hands fairly regularly. We enjoy sampling the various brews, and appreciate the 4oz opportunity to do so. I prefer going there at times when it's not super crowded because it can be very noisy. I have had good experience with the service, and now the bartenders recognize us and chat with us. The beer itself tends towards VERY hoppy - so if you aren't a fan of hoppy beers, you may have limited options. And as a fan of stouts, I wish they did more of those. The menu (beer and food) is limited, but the choices are interesting. The bread is homemade and excellent. The fare is simple but of good quality including mostly locally sourced cheeses, meats, housemade bread and pickles and a few panini options. Yeah, it's kind of hipster and trendy. I won't say it's not. So if you can't stand that, this isn't the place for you. On the other hand, I really appreciate that it is not the typical pub with 20 different types of light beer and greasy pub fare.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Husband and I went here on a whim after hearing good things from a few friends. We were not disappointed. The negative reviews here just don't seem to understand the mission of this place - a true craft brewery first at and foremost at which you can dine on enough fresh, locally-sourced fare to sop up the tasty, hoppy goodness you imbibe throughout the night.

The beers are unique, creative, and have quirky names that make you smile; a good portion are clear book references or song lyrics. Frankly, the inventive nature of these beers makes the offerings from the Philly's area's many other craft breweries seem downright mundane. Most of them are imaginative, experimental twists on IPAs (which pleased my husband) or saisons (which pleased me). Flights are not formally available, but we were encouraged by our friendly, attentive bartender to create our own by getting a few 4-oz pours at a time and sharing. By the end of the night we had tasted every beer on tap, and they were all a delight. The 8-oz pour they offer is a a great way to try more of something you like without committing to a single beer all night, and the small 1-liter growler is well worth the price so you can bring home a little slice of hoppy heaven. (Yes, you have to purchase one of their growlers...but the 1-liter offering is 5 bucks! A unique size, perfect for sharing over dessert back at home.) The board of what's currently brewing is quite a tease...and reinforces the fact that the beers are changed out on a near-daily basis. In fact, a double IPA that had us drooling last night is now on tap today...guess we'll just have to head back sooner rather than later!

The light fare is a perfect accompaniment to the beer and a clear extension of Tired Hands' mission - come for the local beer, stay for the local grub. The duck prosciutto and sopressata on the meat plate were a divine starter, and while the selection of paninis was small, the portions were large. The chef's choice grilled cheese, as advertised, had "stuff in it. You will like it." The B.A.T. (bacon, arugula, and tomato) was also a winner. I'm really not sure why we passed up finishing out meal with the candied bacon....because it's candied bacon. Yet another reason to return.

Overall, this is a perfect place to spend a relaxing evening with friends chatting over a great brew or 10. (Seriously - it's worth trying that many!) We'll be back, and we'll be bringing others with us.

1  Thank LaRositaMonita
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This is my husband and I's favorite bar within a 10 mile radius of our house. He has an obsession with unique, flavorful microbrews and I can't stand going to bars where the menu's options are all greasy and fried. Tired Hands satisfies both of our needs.
They have a rotating beer menu and they do a lot of experimenting. What you drink there today may not (probably will not) be on the menu the next time you go, unless it's one of their staples: farm hands and hop hands. This is not iron hill where you can always rely on the light lager. The names and descriptions of Tired Hands' beers will amuse you and the beers themselves will deliver on unprecedented flavor combinations. For instance, I recently ordered a beer called "We are all infinite energy vibrating at the same frequency" whose description read "Notes of nectarine, orange marmalade, peach pie, and a breezy summer eve."
The restaurant has a bar and tables on each of its two floors--I've sat in both areas upstairs and always had great service. Sometimes they get slammed and you have to wait a bit to be seated or attended to, but they'll get to you. It takes several minutes to decide what you're ordering anyways!
The food menu, my favorite part, is posted on a large chalkboard and is comprised of all locally produced ingredients. They have cheese plates, cured meats, veggie sides/appetizers and homemade pickles. They also always have 3 panini options and a couple of soups or salads. The most amazing menu item, however, is the $3 bread and butter. The bread is homemade and you get four thick cuts of it. On the side they give you local grass-fed cow butter (that's actually yellow! It's seriously the best butter I've tastes), coarse sea salt, and some herbs/seasonings that come from the fennel plant. Amazing.
The food's reasonably priced, and the beers range in price but usually the pints are about $7. They have 4 oz. and 8 oz. options too if you're on a budget or just want to taste a variety of their beers!

1  Thank JJ484
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great selection at this microbrew. Different sized glasses allow you to try out as many of the beers as you want without going overboard or breaking the bank. It has a very casual and relaxed atmosphere. For all those who complain about the service, the experience is not meant to be rushed, but enjoyed. Very different appetizers than you would get at any other local pub but they were fantastic. I'll be sure to visit again.