“A little bit of Provence in Old Ardmore!”
Review of A la Maison Bistro

A la Maison Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
A la Maison Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 94 Restaurants in Ardmore
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ardmore Avenue
New York City, New York
“A little bit of Provence in Old Ardmore!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have driven by this spot in Ardmore many times, with it's bright yellow yawning out. Today, I had some errands on the street and decided to stop in for a quick lunch.
The place is large, with a few tables outside during the warmer months. It's cutely decorated with the colors and fabrics of Provence. I arrived later for lunch and only a few tables were seated.
The menu had just what you would expect from the type of French bistro - omelets, crepes and even a nice bouillabaisse. I was pleased with the menu.
I wanted to stay light today, so I had a buckwheat mushroom crepe and a salad. They were both delicious and just what I had hoped for. The crepe was very tasty and the mushrooms had a nice earthy tasty in a full sauce. The salad was fresh.
The staff is courteous and efficient. It did not take long to get my lunch and my ice tea glass was always full. Just a reminder this is BYOB, so if you plan to have a glass of wine, arrive with your favorite bottle!
I was very happy with my lunch and I am looking forward to trying dinner here soon!

Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Good food but noisy”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our first time, but a return for our two companions. The bistro atmosphere with wooden floors in a building with the high ceilings of what must have been a former warehouse left the place very noisy. The place was packed on a Thursday night and it was very difficult to speak to our companions across the table. The service was spotty; needed to grab a waiter to open our wine, another to get a wine bucket, a forgotten tea. We were there two hours, which was fine for us, but perhaps not for those with other plans after dinner. The food was quite good, steak, beef, fish and pork entrees were hearty and tasty. Don't bother getting the cheese sampler as the portions were tiny, about the size of my thumb and overpriced.

1 Thank QuakerBoy90
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best bistro around”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A La Maison is a Main Line dining must. The appetizers are what really bring us back: kitchen-made pates in nearly a dozen varieties are the best we've found in the area. I suggest the charcuterie plate which gives you meats, cheeses and an assortment of three pates. Duck Rillette, a special treat, is always on the menu. Fabulous salads (endive...beet) and a special onion soup are also staples. Main courses: trout, bouillabaisse, soft shell crab last night are fine. The frites with the steak frites are hot and crispy outside/soft inside but it's odd that the steak is filet and smothered with sauce. Dessert is not to be missed: creme brulee, pots de creme, profiterolles....Love them all. Our meal was served with exquisite wine that was incredibly cheap: we brought it from home!! It's BYOB, another great aspect of the place. Decor is authentic though the ceilings a bit too Ardmore-industrial-high to be cozy. Don't bother fretting about parking on the street: there's a large lot in back (take the side street next to McDo's) and enter through A La Maison's back door. We reserved on Open Table which I suggest you do, too, to ensure seating.

Libertyville, Illinois
“Exceeded Expectations in Every Way”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

A charming atmosphere, a 4 piece expert chamber orchestra playing (much to our surprise) during a Thursday evening dinner, a charming attentive waiter and excellent food. My brother had the steak with frites (best steak I ever tasted), my father had the trout--moist and tasty--, and I had the duck breast. I already cannot wait to go back. I have heard their lunch salads are fabulous.

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“Pretty Authentic for the Main Line - definitely will go again.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had a very nice lunch here...and it honestly did remind me of the food I had in France...not quite as wonderful as the real thing abroad, but the best I have had stateside and I don't think it is possible to be as good here as it is there, in Europe the ingredients are just fresher and better, so I give this place credit for doing a great job with what is available to them here...bon appetite!

• Visited November 2012