“Good food but noisy”
Review of A la Maison Bistro

A la Maison Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
A la Maison Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 93 Restaurants in Ardmore
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ardmore Avenue
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Good food but noisy”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our first time, but a return for our two companions. The bistro atmosphere with wooden floors in a building with the high ceilings of what must have been a former warehouse left the place very noisy. The place was packed on a Thursday night and it was very difficult to speak to our companions across the table. The service was spotty; needed to grab a waiter to open our wine, another to get a wine bucket, a forgotten tea. We were there two hours, which was fine for us, but perhaps not for those with other plans after dinner. The food was quite good, steak, beef, fish and pork entrees were hearty and tasty. Don't bother getting the cheese sampler as the portions were tiny, about the size of my thumb and overpriced.

1 Thank QuakerBoy90

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best bistro around”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A La Maison is a Main Line dining must. The appetizers are what really bring us back: kitchen-made pates in nearly a dozen varieties are the best we've found in the area. I suggest the charcuterie plate which gives you meats, cheeses and an assortment of three pates. Duck Rillette, a special treat, is always on the menu. Fabulous salads (endive...beet) and a special onion soup are also staples. Main courses: trout, bouillabaisse, soft shell crab last night are fine. The frites with the steak frites are hot and crispy outside/soft inside but it's odd that the steak is filet and smothered with sauce. Dessert is not to be missed: creme brulee, pots de creme, profiterolles....Love them all. Our meal was served with exquisite wine that was incredibly cheap: we brought it from home!! It's BYOB, another great aspect of the place. Decor is authentic though the ceilings a bit too Ardmore-industrial-high to be cozy. Don't bother fretting about parking on the street: there's a large lot in back (take the side street next to McDo's) and enter through A La Maison's back door. We reserved on Open Table which I suggest you do, too, to ensure seating.

Libertyville, Illinois
“Exceeded Expectations in Every Way”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

A charming atmosphere, a 4 piece expert chamber orchestra playing (much to our surprise) during a Thursday evening dinner, a charming attentive waiter and excellent food. My brother had the steak with frites (best steak I ever tasted), my father had the trout--moist and tasty--, and I had the duck breast. I already cannot wait to go back. I have heard their lunch salads are fabulous.

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“Pretty Authentic for the Main Line - definitely will go again.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had a very nice lunch here...and it honestly did remind me of the food I had in France...not quite as wonderful as the real thing abroad, but the best I have had stateside and I don't think it is possible to be as good here as it is there, in Europe the ingredients are just fresher and better, so I give this place credit for doing a great job with what is available to them here...bon appetite!

• Visited November 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good Steak frites,but generally pricey”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I can only give a modified review as I only had one dish and my dining companion did as well. She'd dined there before and asked our waitress to make sure there were some almonds in the dish as the previous time they were very hard to find. I ordered the steak frites and it was done perfectly as were thge fries, which I'd ordered "extra crispy". But looking over the menu, I thought many items were pricey: the onion soup was $10, the mussel appetizer $16,,etc. The bread was very bland and certainly not purchased from the nearby The Art of Bread, owned by Georges Perrier of Le Bec Fin fame. It is BYOB which is a point in its favor, but even without spending money for liquor, it's a pricey place to eat. Our waitress was pleasant and explained all the specials clearly. Service was good without hovering. The first thing I noticed was the condition of the menus: a very wrinkled page that looked like many people had used it prior to me. Since it's just a single page, I would think it wouldn't be too hard to run fresh ones on a copy machine.I felt like I wanted to wash my hands after handling it.

• Visited April 2013