“Wonderful Dining Experience!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Dining Experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

We didn’t stay at the B&B so I’m just reviewing the restaurant.

My husband and I stumbled upon this establishment on the way home from Allentown to Wilkes Barre. Usually we take the turnpike but we decided to take a more scenic trip home instead and used RT 309. The restaurant looked like a nice place so we decided to stop for dinner. It looks cute from the outside but instead it’s positively charming!

We ate in the bar area, which had a lovely wooden floor and a few wooden booths, along with more traditional tables and chairs. Sometimes booths are cramped but this was very comfortable. They also had another dining room but there was a private party going on and they kept the doors closed. I did see a fireplace in that room whenever someone entered or exited and it looked like it would provide a cozy, romantic dining experience.

The restaurant wasn’t that busy and we were seated right away. We ordered appetizers. My husband had the Pot Stickers and I had the Calamari. Sometimes I’ve received Calamari that was too over fried but this was done perfectly - a nice golden brown.The marinara sauce was very tasty, not watery and flavorless as sometimes is the case. My husband loved his Pot Stickers.

Our very nice waitress recited the night's specials, several to choose from. My husband ordered one of the specials – a Roast Beef Open Faced Sandwich but I ordered off the menu – Baked Stuffed Haddock. Our dinners included two warm rolls and a salad. Not much to say about either of those items. My husband’s sandwich was quite large and he thoroughly enjoyed it. My Haddock was perfect and the portion was fairly large. We both chose mashed potatoes (with sour cream and chives) and the fresh vegetables (snow peas, carrots and broccoli). About halfway through dinner the chef came out and asked how everything was. We were impressed – we don’t see this happening that often, at least in our dining experience. Usually we don’t ever order desert but that night we decided to splurge and we ordered the flan, which we shared. It came in three heavenly flavors - vanilla/caramel, chocolate and raspberry. Although all flavors were delicious, our favorite was the raspberry. It was heavenly. Again, during desert the chef appeared and asked how our desert was. Wonderful to see such service.

The restaurant offers a nice variety of dinners to choose from and the prices are very reasonable. Our two appetizers, two dinners, two mixed drinks, two beers and desert was just under $70.

Another nice touch is the music they play. Soft rock and easy listening and not at a deafening level. We could still carry on a conversation and enjoy the music in the background.

If you’re looking for a nice dining experience set in a rustic, cozy setting this is the place for you. We will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank lt10

Glenside, PA
“Had a Really Fun Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a night stay at BMS and 2 days in the surrounding area. The reason we were there was because our son won a free night stay as part of a home brewing "Best in Show'" prize. We bought the night from him. He went to DC and off we went to the Poconos with no clue as to what to expect.

We arrived early to drop off our stuff before continuing on to Hawk Mountain. We were greeted by Ken who was blowing debris off the sidewalk. He sent us around to the back entrance where we unloaded and then met us to explain the lay of the land. He was immediately friendly and funny. Lisa actually checked us in and was friendly as well although much more matter of fact about things..

The place is situated right on Rt 309, so it's good the rooms are in the rear where it's quieter, although they do back up to the patio where there are lots of tables for people to enjoy live music or just eating outside on a nice night - this said, it's possible it could be a bit noisy sometimes, although we were not bothered at all by noise.

We stayed in the Cloud 9 room and while small, it had a big bathroom with a nice 2 person Jacuzzi tub and separate shower. A highlight. The bed was squeaky and not sure if more than one night would have been tolerated. The ceiling fan made an annoying clicking sound with every revolution. The plumbing is a bit quirky. The TV got 3 or 4 channels, all but one fuzzy. A crate of older videos outside the room were somewhat interesting. There was a small, remote controlled air conditioner.

After a hike and a few hours spent at the North Lookout at Hawk Mountain, the Jacuzzi was a welcome treat. It had strong jets and we enjoyed a cocktail from the bar while jetting. Not much in the way of bath accoutrements, but basic needs were met.

We came to the dining room a bit late and there was a large party gearing up. Ken advised us to order quickly so we wouldn't have to wait for 15 entrees to be made before ours, which was helpful. We might have been there for hours.

Dinner was okay. As it turned out, I think it was a bit rushed because Ken thought we were in a hurry, but we weren't. What the heck else were we going to do in the middle of nowhere but have a leisurely dinner and then go to bed?

We ate two baskets of warm sliced bread that was offered with butter and an olive oil and herb dip. Yum.

The soups were NE clam chowder that tasted good but was way too watery. French onion soup (I asked for light on the cheese) was on the cold side and the whole thing needed some time under the broiler. Too rushed to do it right, but tasted fine - just not hot enough.

The salad was a little skimpy, the lettuce slightly wilted, but nice fresh mushroom and cucumber slices. We were turned on to the house specialty dressing which you'll have to go there to try. I'm not spilling the beans. Surprisingly good. The smaller salad turned out to be enough. Since its hard for them to plan just how much food will be needed on any given day, maybe they had to dole out a smaller salad because of the large party.

My grilled tenderloin was very dry but I poured what was left of the olive oil/herb on it, added some salt and pepper and then it was pretty good. My husband's prime rib was a massive piece of blackened meat - Fred Flintstone sized- however a goodly part of it was fat. He was bovinely satisfied, though.

Both entrees came with roasted potatoes and vegetable medley. Dessert wasn't bad, but kind of Sysco-like. Not fresh bakery by any means, but dressed up nicely with sauces and good.

I asked for a candle early on to celebrate my husband's birthday, but the waitress forgot and I didn't say anything. She also forgot my hot water and lemon but remembered his coffee. Again, I let it go. Hey, it's the Poconos.

There were plenty of breakfast choices which you give to Ken the night before. My order was kind of complicated so we discussed it at length at dinner. He was very concerned that I wouldn't be happy and so made sure he understood exactly what I wanted. Very kind to take the time to do that. He let me heat up my soy chai in the kitchen and breakfast was very good - served outside on the patio.

The location is very nice - the large property backs up to the Apalachian Trail- and convenient to loads of things to do in the area. The fact that it's on a highway is both good and bad. Ken helped with directions and suggestions.

It would help if the rear light was turned on after dark. It is black back there and we had to stumble around trying to find the light switch. One of the other patrons ( a very drunk pita bread driver) was back there trying to get up the steps and into his room. Lucky he didn't break an ankle!

Ken and Lisa work very hard and are trying desperately to do things as well as possible and they mostly succeed. It's a friendly, comfortable, country atmosphere and while not amenity filled, we had a very nice time.

3 Thank visualgirl
kingston
“Great Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 3 day stay at the Blue Mountain Summit B & B. We stayed in the Blue Mountain Room, our accomodations were very clean and comfortable. The Blue Mountain Summit also has a fabulous restaurant and bar, where you will find a variety of delicous dishes prepared by Sal.
Ken and Lisa make your stay relaxing as well as entertaining. We highly recommend this B & B to everyone. It is situated at the top of a beautiful mountain and you are only a scenic 15 - 30 minute drive from several towns and wineries. We will be making this B & B an annual vacation!

5 Thank luv2travel1314