“Cancelled our reservation”
Review of Motel 6 Altoona

Motel 6 Altoona
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed October 26, 2009

After booking with Orbitz and travelling 700 miles to get to Altoona to watch Penn State play the next day in State College we arrive to find out that our reservation had been cancelled. They would have room for us that night, but the following night we were out of luck and would need to find somewhere else. Since Penn State is the big draw for hotels in Altoona (45 minutes away) there were no rooms at the inn, or any other for that matter. Our only alternative was to book a room in Harrisburg, PA for the following night. Harrisburg is twice the distance away and it was exhausting to drive 1.5 hours following an all day experience exploring the campus and town. Not to mention the Homecoming game in freezing conditions with freezing rain. Thank goodness the game started at 3:30, we made it to the hotel by 11:00. If it were a 7:30 or 8:00 game we would have been driving until 4:00 in the morning. The room we stayed in the night they had available was below average. Very old mattresses, not dirty, but certainly not clean room, staff was friendly, but also lied about how they were booked full that evening. It was very clear by the 4 cars in the parking lot that night and the following morning that they were not overbooked. They may not have been the following night either, but they were clear they would not allow us to stay. Horrible experience and will not stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 27, 2009

We spent one evening here on the way home from State College to Pittsburgh. The hotel is definitely outdated and smelled of smoke, despite being a non-smoking room. They also do not offer free wifi or breakfast (forgivable in a no-frills hotel like Motel 6) but I was surprised that the room did not have complimentary shampoo or a hair dryer. I guess for $60, you get what you pay for.

I would not recommend this hotel for anything other than a clean, cheap place to sleep for one night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We reserved 15 rooms for a business trip, one that we were under a strict budget for... I would have to say that for the cost of the room, it was a good value. But, it was run down and in some need of updates. I got to see some of the other rooms and they were in varying degrees of showing much wear and tear. Mine had an old wood "box" surronding the air conditioner that was ugly, but it worked. One of my coworkers air unit was so noisy that she had to shut it off to sleep. I didn't hear any noise, but some of the others said they heard road noise that kept them up. The very back row of rooms were "scary" to some of the lone females. I've never stayed in such a no-frills motel and I was glad I called to find out if they had hair dryers in the rooms, they don't. They don't supply any little shampoos either. 2 towels did the job, but if someone else shared the room with me, they would have had to use damp towels (cause I wouldn't have). The tub and shower were clean, but they were very small. There was also a cigarette stain on the rim of the tub where someone left it sitting while they used the toilet (I'm guessing). The sink area, also clean was really rundown and had old wood framing and yellowed ceiling light panels that were cracked. Kinda gave me the creeps. The desk staff was very, very nice. And the coffee was available and good enough to drink.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We used this motel as a sleep stop off on the way to Myrtle Beach from Canada. It is fine for just needing a place to lay your head. We checked in around 9pm on July 23rd. The lady behind the desk was very friendly and helpful. I appreciated her great attitude!! :o)
Our room was clean and quiet. It did smell a bit musty, but we got over that.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed here after going to an Altoona Curve game. The rooms were clean. The towels, sheets and pillows were clean. The TV had 2 HBOs and 4 ESPNs. Thats fine. I dont go to hotels to see what stations they have. The pool was great. It was around 82 out and we were the only ones in the pool. Overall, this is the best price for your buck. Also, there is a great Mexican restaurant in walking distance. Dont listen to the bad reviews. You get what you pay for and you are paying for a Motel 6 in Altoona. This is nothing wrong with this place.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2009

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to give this hotel a try on our trip across Penssylvania. All I can say is that the other reviewers either are related to the owners of this Motel 6 or they have never before have been in motel/hotel.
When you pull up to this place and look at it you will see all you need to know. Trust me when I say thet rooms aren't an improvement over the check-in area.T here is a reason that there are no pictures of it available on the internet.
This place is located in an area with several other hotels, all better choices than this one. The room was in desperate need of repair, moldings broken off leaving sharp pieces of wood exposed along the carpet. Carpet stained and mildew smelling. Air conditioning system is laughable. Shower/tub leaks water all over floor. They gave us a crib that was so dirty and disgusting I wouldn't let a puppy sleep in it let alone a small child.
On the positive side, we weren't mauled as we slept by wolves.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I stayed at the Altoona Motel 6 the last couple nights and it was fantastic. Excellent recommendations by the staff, and exceptional service. The only complaint would be the lack of TV channels, as they only had about 17. Most budget hotels have extended basic cable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo