“good value for your money”
Review of Motel 6 Altoona

Motel 6 Altoona
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Willoughby, Ohio
“good value for your money”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

we have stayed here before for our family reuions, but it has been a couple years. we liked what they did to the rooms, gave them a more updated look. The bed was comfortable and the room was very neat. there was a certain spell about it though. i asked at the office what it was they said something to do with the wood floors and the animals they allow to stay in. the cleaner they used wasn't too bad to deal with. the two ladies working the front desk in the morning were very friendly. overall for your money not a bad place to sleep for the nite.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mawbitt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Motel 6 can have a bad wrap because low prices many times means less than desirable clientele. However, this Motel 6 was great. Due to lack of room availability in the Altoona area for our weekend of travel we did not have many options. I read the great reviews on several websites and took the chance. It was well worth it! It is definitely bare bones but the rooms are recently renovated with paint and hardwood floors. Everything was clean and gave us the place we needed to shower and sleep. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Hair dryers are available at the front desk as well as an ice machine and vending machines. If you are okay with not having all the bells and whistles at your finger tips, this motel will serve your lodging needs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank JenI-AnywhereButHere
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay at this very convenient motel.Room was very clean and bed was comfortable.sure like the upgrades to motel 6's.the staff was courteous.the price was ok for the area it was in.lots of restaurants and a mall was close by

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Tomcat90657
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We just got back from my 2nd worst Motel Experience in several hundred motel stays. On a trip that included a visit the Horse Curve National Historical site, we were unfortunate enough to choose the Altoona Motel 6!

My first shocker came when I unlocked the room door and saw bare FAKE hardwood floors in a motel room!

It was very obvious within the first few minutes that we were in a former Knights Inn, which are known for their dark dingy looking rooms because of the rough sawn lumber they use as trim. Even with Motel 6's latest renovation style of white and bright orange paint, that could not be hidden.

Yes, the room was recently renovated, clean, and bright (if one likes white and orange walls, and their weird orange striped bed spreads.

All that....so far is "ok" (acceptable)!

I was sitting on the bed (new good mattress), and thought I saw a small critter crawling across the floor and automatically went to "exterminate" it, but it was gone. I dismissed it till later I saw another which I went after with a finger to see what it was. Amazingly as my finger got close to it, it "jumped" away. It was at that point that I recalled the new promotion Motel 6 advertises. "Your pets are welcome here", and I realized we were in a flea infested room.

6" off the floor, under the vanity top (they use no cabinet, just a top fastened to the wall) was a newly constructed spider web, and the maker thereof.

Later when I went to shower, I encountered one of these nasty biting "Black Flies", that most likely rode into the room on the back of someone's dog.

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS of staying at the newly remodeled Motel 6's:

No Alarm Clock
No Coffee Machine... (Oh yes, there is coffee in the office a couple hundred yards away)
No Ice machine near (Oh yes, There are two in the office, a couple hundred yards away)
No Micro Wave (a common feature in many motels these days)
No Mini Fridge (a common feature in many motels these days)
No comfortable chairs to relax in..... just molded ply wood seat, that is very difficult to sit in.
No AM breakfast of any type

Yes, I know we were not staying in a Hilton, Hampton, or even Holiday Inn, but for the exact same price we could have had all of the above at another commonly known chain motel a few blocks from this one.

Was the room clean? Yes, except for the pet borne "UN-invited Guests".
Was the room bright and cheery? Yes, if orange is your favorite color.
Was it in a quiet location? Yes, very quiet!
Was it in a convenient location? Yes, just off the interstate.

Would I stay there again? NEVER
Would I recommend you stay there? Only if you travel with your pets!

Room Tip: Ask if they can guarantee you there have never been flea ridden pets in the room they are giving you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hal01

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

London, England
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I've used Motel 6 all across the States since my first trip in 1995 and I think that the remodeling has improved their quality for their budget prices. Don't expect any frills and fancy furniture, but what there is, is clean and comfortable. This property consists a 3 separate building all on one level and in conveniently located within walking distance a several restaurants.
I spent a very pleasant 3 nights and enjoyed undisturbed sleep, and found it convenient for the many attractions in the Altoona area.
I would definitely use it again.

Room Tip: I was in room 301, i.e. the 3rd block back and found it very quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ManicUSAVisitor
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed June 30, 2014

It is very convenient from I-99 and the price is right. As long as you are not expecting any in-room amenities, you won't be disappointed. My king room had a small table and two wooden chairs, so you are not going to be lounging around in the room. Room was in the front, so I didn't see and can't comment on the grounds and pool. Room was nice and quiet, though. Shower head almost comically low--you would have to be about 5'4" to actually stand under it. Towels very cheap; they reminded me of high school gym towels. Overall a good choice for a cheap crash.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank bflohl
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

stayed here for one night when travelling from Niagara falls to Washington .the motel is right off the freeway and in a great location .there has obviously been a lot on money spent recently all the rooms have new furniture and painted .the whole motel and surrounding car park etc has been refurbished .the staff are all friendly and could not do enough for you .there are shops within a 2 minute drive from the motel . absolutely no complaints ..nice pool and free wifi

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family