“Not what you'd expect”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not what you'd expect”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was really skeptical about staying here. I called the other hotels; all booked.I have to admit I was nervous about it. I was very pleasantly surprised! The rooms were so clean. Beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean. We asked for more towels and the clerk at the front desk could not have been more helpful. My only complaint was that the volume on the TV was a bit high and could not be adjusted.
Is it in a bucolic setting? No. But I knew that going in. I wasn't going to be there except to sleep, So all I asked for is a clean room.
With the cost at $49 per room, you can't beat it.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Never, ever stayed in such a motel in this price range that comes close to comparison...
Room was unbelievably clean, spacious and well appointed.
Best 55 bucks I ever spent on a room.
(Room 321).

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I had stayed at this hotel many times in the past because my company used them. The police in Altoona and Logan Twp are VERY familiar with this place. I was recently there in February 2014 to review it for my company as it was up for contract with us again. What I found was dirty rooms. I moved the beds, the floors were filthy, dead bugs under the beds, garbage under them also, dried "fluids" on the floors, stained sheets, fecal matter on toilets. I actually took a wet washcloth and swiped it over the floor in the front of the toilet and bathtub...it came up black. The carpet square in front of the door inside the room was filthy.. a cigarette butt on it along with dirt and rock salt... this was in what they considered a "clean" room. The housekeeping there is a joke. There are large gaps under the doors to the rooms.... every bug in town makes it way inside your room in nice weather. Basically they threw some paint on the rooms.. replaced the drapes and bedspreads and threw down some cheap laminate on the floors. You can put lipstick on a pig all day but at the end of the day it's still a pig!! This property will never change, the current manager doesnt care and is a major part of the problem. STAY AWAY from this hell hole roach motel !!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Murphy B

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Hartford
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Our room was recently updated and very nice. Decor is "minimalistic", clean lines, simple and it was immaculate (important to me), spacious (king room) and comfortable. It provided everything we needed. Bath and sink are separated, a nice feature. The clerk at the desk was extremely accommodating, even offered to share his crackers when my friend heated soup. (No restaurant on site. but are nearby.) I would definitely stay here again and do recommend the place to other travelers.

Room Tip: Room 108 is recently updated. Noticed no noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lancaster, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Motel 6, worked for a one night stay defintly needs some updates and modernization. The lobby was the most modern out of everything on the property. The beds were comfortable, the room lacked amenties though no tissues, toliet seat cover, or alarm clock, tv had horrible sound( This wasn't a huge deal just rather strange for a chain hotel).

They just started to updated on October 14th, so lets hope that will help the apperance of their room. The location was easy to find, property was clean and quiet.

I wont stay here again, maybe when the remodeling and updating is complete.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Altoona, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Darlene,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for your unpleasant stay. we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435. Please know that, as an economy brand, we keep our amenities limited in order to maintain our brand promise to offer a great value for the lowest price of any national chain.
Northern Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Needed a place to stay overnight after the tremedous Penn State win over Michigan. Just about every hotel with 60 miles of State College was booked. There was one room left at this motel - we took it. We stayed here a few year's ago under a similiar sitiation so we knew what to expect. Like most say it's needs updating but it's clean, quiet and friendly. And for the price - it can't be beat. If there is one issue with it is that the toilet doen't have a cover. This is my pet peeve because it is so easy to drop something into the bowl if not carefull. Besides being a sanitary issue I just feel this practice is unnecessay especially when the bathroom is so tiny to begin with. Management should review this practice- put a seat cover on the commode please!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
University Heights, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Motel 6 in Altoona, PA is consistent with many others in the chain and adequate for a nights stay. The property is anything but fancy, providing no frills whatsoever. However, the rooms are large and, most importantly, clean.

Located just off of I-99, the property is well lit and easy to find in the dark. Unlike many others in the Motel 6 chain, this property is only one story tall. Since all units are ground level (spread out over three different buildings), accessing rooms is easy. Parking units are available directly in front of all rooms.

The rooms are comfortable and quite. They are in need of a serious make over and modernization, though.

There appear to be plenty of eateries in the area. The neighborhood gives the impression that it is relatively quiet. It is also located just a 2 or 3 minute drive from Peoples Natural Gas Field, home of the Altoona Curve baseball team and Lakemont Park, home of the world's oldest wooden roller coaster.

Worth noting is the Wi-Fi. There is a charge for it! I completed a survey after my stay and brought up this concern. Apparently this decision has come down from corporate. Also, make sure to pack your own shampoo as there is none provided.

I rated this property a 2 out of 5. Tripadvisor gives a 2 the rating of poor, which this property isn't. I would just categorize it as "slightly below average." With an upgrade of décor and amenities, this property would qualify as average for a budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo