“It does the job”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Canberra, Australia
“It does the job”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

It has everything that you need. Not that flashy or new but it's cheap, clean and conveniently located. At the end of the day it is an older Motel 6, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.
Be sure to check out the Eat'n Park next door. It's a decent feed and their breakfast buffet is worth a mention.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ET8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ajax
Reviewed April 9, 2012

It is one thirty in the am on a Thursday and we are half way to Virginia. A previous search of the internet showed that about one half the hotels / motels in Altoona were booked. The first one we viewed from the highway was motel 6 which I had never stayed at before.

Finally finding its entrance, it is a very large motel with many units (100+) and very few occupied we were told that a room was available for the reasonable price of $50. I had hoped to check my email and found that it was (I believe $3.99) for a twenty four hour period. As we were leaving by seven in the am it was not worth it.

I had asked for a quiet room as it is very close to the interstate so we were given a key and directed to the back of the third building, farthest from the office, with only one other car next door.

On opening the door we found what we had paid the $50 for, two beds, heat, a functional bathroom, grey walls, no decor, but all the basics.

Shortly after getting settled there was a commotion next door, the "lady" exited very quickly and drove off very fast. She did not return.

Service at the desk was quick and efficient, the units were quite presentable from the out side and all parking areas were well lit.

It was very quiet, we were gone at seven am but learned a lesson that for an extra $10 or 20 per night it was well worth paying the extra some where else. There was no breakfast but a couple of reputable restaurants within eye sight.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet and away from the interstate.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BigBlue01

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Beacon, New York, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stayed here about 2 months ago. I heard from others who stayed here that room 102 is haunted. So I rented the room and took all my video equipment with me. I recorded for approx 8 hours of film footage. I didnt see anything with the naked eye so that morning, I left the room and headed home.

Last week, I decided to view the tape out of sheer boredom. Well, to my surprise, all through the tape were ORBS. I was dumb-founded. I could not believe what I was seeing. If you are into ghost hunting, room 102 is the place to be.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The staff is very kind and the rooms are clean, but small. The only fascilities are beds, toilet and bathtube, a/c, tv-set (older) with remote, towels and soap. No shampoo, no coffe maker, no fan, no fridge. Compared to other chain motels to few for the money!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This is the first Motel 6 I've ever stayed at. Quite frankly they usually scare me, but the reviews led us to give this one a try, and are we ever glad we did.

Hotel is clean, rooms are big and cheap. We got 2 rooms with 2 queen size beds for under $120 on a friday night, you can't beat that. Also It's right off the interstate, and there are lots of restaurants close by.

The pool was closed when we were there, but it was October. The book in the room said it was only open till the beginning of September.

The only negative was the lack of free WiFi. If you want it the charge is 3 dollars a night, not a lot, but enough to make you think if you really want it. We pulled in late and left early so no real reason to purchase it. Plus there was a few restaurants in the area that offered it free.

I almost forgot. They have the friendliest, most courtious front desk staff I have ever encountered. They where great.

Overall I was very impressed, and will now look at other Motel 6's as well. I've always been a Super 8 man, but if other 6's are like this, I'll stay there in a flash.

Room Tip: Ponderosa Steak House down the street offers a cheap breakfest buffet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank numptylover
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Honestly, I can't complain at all about this motel. I was prepared for a dump because of the price but was very pleasantly surprised! It wasn't elaborate like the expensive motels, of course, but it was roomy, clean, and comfortable. Plus the location was right near shopping and restaurants. And the staff was very pleasant as well. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I've been staying at this motel for several years when I'm in this area. I have never had any major complaints. It’s clean.... (Although may last visit had a french fry under the desk, and a closed beer in the dresser draw, that was the first time I've seen anything like that at this motel). Originally I was planning on giving this motel "two stars", until I saw 2=Poor, I can't say its poor, but, for the price, the competition, and the fact the rooms haven't been updated in many, many years, it an honorary 2 Stars in my opinion. The price is usually higher then other (and newer) Motel 6's. The motels in the Altoona area can be pricey due to area events, but I still don't think $50+ for the rooms are worth the price. Some other chain motels are similar in price and include breakfast. Overall, I will stay here again, the friendly staff is reliable, and it’s clean enough to have a good nights sleep!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends