“The convienant location is about the only plus.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
University Heights, Ohio
“The convienant location is about the only plus.”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night with our small dogs recently. We were in town to watch an Altoona Curve game. The hotel's proximity to "People's Gas Field" is a plus, and if you're traveling with a dog like were, the big grassy area in the parking lot is also a plus. With this hotel the minuses out number the pluses. The building looks very dated both outside and inside. At first our room seemed fine, but after a little while we noticed a foul odor, the bath tub looked old and stained/dirty, the pillows were too thin and the mattress a little on the hard side, the bedding is also in need of replacing The staff was pleasant and helpful, the continental breakfast had very little variety.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jill C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
University Heights, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Econo Lodge in Altoona is a property truly in need of an upgrade. I read all of the reviews prior to staying there and set my expectations low. That was probably the right thing to do as this property is not going to exceed anybody's expectations, though it is certainly not as bad as some have made it sound.

Let me start with the pluses: the room was large, the location easy to find (and surrounded by plenty of useful businesses), the microwave/fridge was key, the room was quiet and the bedding was adequate. Despite some reviews about the staff not being friendly, I found the staff helpful enough. I did get a good nights sleep.

But, there are some things that need to be addressed. For starters, the bathroom needs a complete makeover. The shower looks as though it hasn't been replaced in years. The same goes for the sink. The breakfast offerings were even more limited than expected. Also, the breakfast area was quite small.

While the property may never appear beautiful, it can be upgraded into a much more modern hotel. Fresh rooms would go a long way towards helping this particular Econo Lodge change travelers opinions.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JasonC12

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I had a great time at this hotel from the minute we got there. We attended the Pints for Pets Brewfest right in Altoona, which also happened to be the same weekend as PSU Altoona graduation so we were lucky to even find a room. We booked two rooms, and they were both very clean. The Customer Service was also outstanding. They did everything possible to ensure we had a good stay, including helping us with the taxi cab service to get us back and forth from the brewfest. I would definitely recommend the Econo Lodge to anyone needing a good hotel in Altoona!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I'd like to first start out by saying that the Customer service I was provided upon check in at 11 pm was beyond adequate, as the Clerk was very nice.

This hotel with a little work could be so much more than it is. I did take pictures to substantiate my poor rating to this place. My expectations were not very high to begin with and We stayed here only because it was the only available hotel within 45 miles of State College for our daughters graduation. (I booked in March, obviously I should have booked sooner).

There are plenty of Econo Lodges that are adequate, however this is not one. We stayed in room 262, which is on the back of the property, upstairs. The first item I noticed when we walked in the door was a musty smell as if the room hadn't been used in a while. None of the lights were plugged in except for the one next to the door. The TV was an older style TV, but it worked. There was a nice note from the housekeeper Dawn on the desk, however when looking into the wall corner next to the desk there were old dust filled cob webs all the way up the wall and quite a few hanging from the ceiling.

The bed was your typical cheaper hotel room bed, however the sheets seemed dirty. The long black hair I found under one of the pillows really gave me the shivers, and the one middle pillow (king size bed) had a huge stain on the pillowcase.

The small love seat that was provided in the room was all in disarray when we arrived and It appeared not very well kept at all. The baseboards around the sink area near the bathroom really could have used a thorough vacuuming as there were quite a bit of dirt piles on the floor. The walls look as if they were bleeding, from cigarette smoke stains (see pictures).

The bathroom was dated, in fact the whole place could use an overhaul. The bathroom was just stuffy, but it looked clean, we didn't use the shower/bathtub area,

I'd hate to stay at this hotel in the winter/colder months as the gap under the door is almost about a half-inch. (see picture). I'm surprised this place doesn't have bugs. A weatherstripping would be an easy fix.

When most hotels offer a free breakfast that is, what it is...free. We tried the coffee and the coffee was just awful. We didn't eat the breakfast because the only choices were oatmeal, a few small muffins, 3 danish and make your own waffles. There was a choice of juice also. No healthy for you choices, like fruit or yogurt. But again it was free. We ate at a local Bob Evans which was fantastic.

A few things I did notice: there was parking for big rigs, and a small picnic area/grassy area to walk your dog in the middle of the parking area.

I would not pay again to stay at this place. Please take a look at the pictures, I can't say what every other room in the place looks like, however I can share my experience. $78 was my price for the room, It wasn't a good value for my money.

The Clerk who checked us out didn't ask how my stay was, she just asked if I had a credit card on file. I stated I had booked online, she said "ok you're good then, cya." then went back to doing whatever it is she was doing in the back, not interested if I had a further comment.

If the owner of this hotel reads this review, I'd like to say that investing in your rooms a little; with a box of baking soda for the laundry and a sheep wool duster for your housekeeper to get the cobwebs would be a step in the right direction.

Room Tip: pick another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank SJPitt
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Since I was nervous about the reviews for this one I asked the desk clerk if I could check the room before registering. She graciously approved. No problems with cleanliness whatsoever. Room was a little more spartan than your more expensive motels but very clean and adequate. The disappointment came the next morning at the breakfast. I must have ran into the nag referred to in the previous reviews. I have never experienced a more insolent, rude, not to mention stupid employee!! She was griping at every customer for something. too messy, didn't use the waffle machine right, couldn't find the forks, What a winch!! She definitely brought my review from a 5 to a 3. I'm giving service a 1 because of her but the evening clerk deserved a 5.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Joplintom
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Our job requires us to stay in a variety of hotels, most nice, bit some pathetic. This Econolodge, sadly, goes under the pathetic column.
Greeted by a yelling front desk clerk, to walking into a room with hair all over the bed, this hotel isn't worth the money. Period.
Which is interesting as we've stayed in Econolodges before that were adequate for the money. This one fails on almost every count.
Sorry, hate to give bad reviews, but I'd rather pay more for a little better place. We won't be back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank mspons
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've read a few reviews of how dirty this hotel is and I did not experience any of that. Stayed one night to visit a nearby college. Our room was pretty spacious. There was a nice mini fridge with freezer and a microwave. The television was an older model, but it worked. The a/c / heater worked well. The room was clean and did not smell bad or musty. The free breakfast was a continental breakfast, bread, oatmeal packets, waffle maker, coffee and tea.

I would definitely stay again for the price - you can't go wrong.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family