“Nasty!!!”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Ivoryton, Connecticut, United States
“Nasty!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I called from the road to book a room and was not able to as their computers were down. When I arrived I was quoted a price of $49.00 plus tax. Since I planned to leave early and just needed a place to sleep, I took the room. As for the room, it was gross. The air conditioner worked but I could not run it because the fan sounded like pots and pans banging together. With 100 degree weather, the room was like a sauna. The blanket had burn holes in it and the sheet had stains of some sort. Worst yet, I was awoken at 3 AM by what appeared to be a cockroach running over my head which I promptly squashed. Since I would no longer be sleeping, I decided to check out at 4 AM. This too was a problem as I had to argue with the clerk over the now charge of $54.95 plus tax which I paid as I could not stand another minute of this disgusting hotel. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jerry S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this hotel over the net, and did not have any illusions about the quality, we were moving to Canada, and just wanted a place to sleep! the biggest attraction was that the hotel allowed pets without any additional fee.

The initial impression was negative and I did not feel safe, but seeing some couples and families I felt confident. The rooms were spacious and fairly clean, there was a refrigerator and a microwave. Overall everything worked. The breakfast was good enough to give you the boost you need in the morning.

I would say, this place is good enough if you want a cheap and functional hotel. I would not recommend this hotel if you are on a pleasure trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Raj S
Corning, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week and I was asked to come to this site to give my opinion. As far as my stay it was well worth the money I paid for it. I was checked both in and out by a front desk clerk Tanya and she went far and beyond to make me and my wife welcomed and gave us a warm good bye. The rooms are old but very clean. The breakfast is basic but again, for the price, I can not complain. My father in law is in a home in Altoona and we will now be staying there when we come to visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The management is terrible. The person who checked me in didn't know what they were doing so they under charged my card. Then after I checked out they charged me for the balence which is fine.. then the next week comes and they charge me again for the whole balence. So now I'm trying to get my money back and they are arguing with me about how to get it back that its nothing but the banks mistake. This woman is literally yelling at me saying its not her fault when all I need to correct the problem is a note on their letterhead faxed to the bank. And then she refuses to give me the number for the owner and refuses to let me talk to someone else saying that's she too busy to talk to me and hangs up on me. Not to mention that this is the second time I've dealt with this same "manager". Never again at the econolodge in altoona pa.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank baj5012

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Somewhere in Maryland
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Artwork looked as though it was pulled out of the dumpster; there were stinkbugs crawling on the ceiling; the two beds in the room had unmatching, old comforters and found a fake fingernail on the carpet. At least the towels were clean!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless there is nowhere else to stay
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen C
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I reserved this hotel for my husband and myself to stay for one night while passing through. It was in a decent location that was perfect on our route.

I reserved a room with a King size bed as that I what we have at home. When we arrived, we were given a room with double beds. Now it may not seem like a big deal, but when you are traveling with your husband you should not have to deal with a bed that is sized for a 5 year old. The man at the desk actually told me "there's two of you so what's the problem" and would not move us because they were sold out. So were stuck, slept there and woke up feeling horrible the next day from being scrunched in a tiny bed.

The room was clean, but the shower was old and annoying. It was also dark in the room, and there are broken down junk cars in the lot. I noticed several drunk people too. Check out time is 11 am which I feel is ridiculous.

The desk clerk told me they do not have a manager right now, but in the future I should not book a room online without calling the hotel first to make sure the room I want is available. According to her "this happens all the time when people book online". Well, I'm sorry but it shouldn't and it never happened to me before.

I would only stay here if you are desperate.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank kadmin
Reviewed October 20, 2011

All the world loves a complainer!! This a great place for a football weekend. Clean,comfortable, great location and the price is right. No gouging on football weekends. If you want to pay $300 a night, be my guest. !! Duh!!! You're there to sleep, not get a manicure or a facial!!!

• Stayed October 2011