“Impressed!”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Toronto, Canada
“Impressed!”
Reviewed April 26, 2007

For such a moderate price, this is surprisingly impressive, with spacious, inviting public areas and a very professional staff. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast and the breakfast room itself, which is unusually bright and large--even an inviting little outside patio area for warmer weather. With miniature cheese omelets and bacon on top of the customary continental breakfast offerings, you're
really looking at a full hot breakfast buffet.

We didn't have time in Altoona to check out locally-owned dining options (always our preference) but there are several chain choices right around the HIE itself. We opted for one that was unfamiliar to us--"Joey's"--right across the parking lot, apparently one of the few
locations in the Northeast States of this Nantucket-themed franchise.
The food here was actually quite good, particularly for a franchise, and prices very reasonable.

One annoyance: the aforementioned Breakfast Room doubles as a Cyber Cafe and though in theory the hours do not overlap, at least on the morning of our visit more than half the tables were taken up not by people eating breakfast at all but by business travellers hunched intently over their laptops or making loud cellphone calls. Not conducive to a completely relaxed breakfast atmosphere but admittedly
business travellers are probably the customer base here.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Torontotraveller2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We had a school related competition in the altoona area.
Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express and it was fabulous!
They were very helpful, friendly, and exceptionaly clean.
Overall, You will have NO concerns when you are there, it's
every travelers home away from home.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — there was nothing we were not pleased with.............
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank phil413g
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 11, 2006

I've stayed at just about all the other Altoona area choices, and this was great. I will experiment no longer. It was very clean, the staff was VERY nice and personable. The property itself has actual charm as opposed to the usual cinder-block towers this level of hospitality usually entails.

Nice little complimentary goodie box in the fridge, free bottled water (Hello Sheraton and Hampton Inn!), and the night desk clerk literally ran to my room when I asked for a razor. The microwave and fridge were a rare but nice touch for this level of property.

The bed was very comfy, four pillows, and the bathroom, though aging, was spotless. The water was hot with strong water pressure, and all the drains drained quickly.

The internet was free and fast, and the lighting was easy to work by (a big plus for road wariors).

Morning breakfast bar was well-stocked, good hot items and the coffee was fresh and there were plenty of newspapers and seats in the eating area.

HIX in Altoona is doing good work, and I canNOT understand any negative reviews. For the price, one can not do better.

• Liked — Cheerful Genuine Staff, the Value for Money
  • Disliked — Location, dreary strip-mall land
  • Tips/Secrets — Perkins does a nice take-out from next door.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank JoshuaVincent
PA
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I was skeptical when my husband told me we had a reservation at a Holiday Inn as our experience has not been positive with this chain. One nights stay at this Holiday Inn was not enough. Clean, fresh and the added touch of a warm throw on the bed made it seem like you were home. Choice of soft or firm pillow and the bed was comfortable! I actually got a good night sleep! A microwave and frig in the room with complimentary bottles of water, bag of microwave popcorn and granola bars. A nice treat for hungry kids who can't wait to get to the restaurant! Clean, white towels and the shower head worked beautifully!
The complimentary breakfast was just perfect. And the price is a steal.
The Holiday Inn Corporation needs to check this Inn out and learn from their finer points of "customer service."
This Holiday Inn Express is a hidden gem!

7 Thank smithy02
Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Had a most unpleasant experience during a one night stay in July. Booked a room at the hotel web site at state gov't rate. However, upon arrival and after showing my state ID, was told that I would have to charge the room with a state issued credit card. Since I only had a personal credit card, I had to pay an extra $20. OK, so I pay a liltle extra. However, when asked if I could assign it to my Southwest rewards account instead of the hotel rewards, was told that they didn't do that - I would have to call Southwest. I completed the info on their website (Holiday Inn Express), but nothing was ever posted.

I also requested a wake-up call for the next morning, early enough to get the free breakfast before my meeting. However no call came, causing me to skip breakfast to get to my meeting. When I asked why I wasn't called, was told that I had turned the phone down and didn't hear the call. Not true. Front desk folks were very "unwelcoming" throughout.

Next time in Altoona, I'll stay at Courtyard or Hampton Inn. I won't "Stay Smart" again.

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank hillbilly1
CT
Reviewed October 15, 2005

I think the best thing about this Holiday Inn Express is that they put 2 bottles of spring water, a granola bar, and popcorn in the fridge FOR FREE!
The staff is friendly, and the rooms are basic, but clean. You get wireless internet for free as well. Breakfasts are good compared to the standard offerings. Ask for a lower rate ($92) and you will likely get it.

7 Thank disaffected
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 17, 2005

After a bad experience at another local hotel, I checked into this one and was immediately relieved. Friendly staff, very comfortable and spotlessly clean room, high tech perks like high speed internet and printer, refrigerator, microwave, free treats, and a nice breakfast. Worth every penny I paid.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business