“Still way above average after 3rd stay”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
NJ
“Still way above average after 3rd stay”
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Quiet, clean, and very guest-oriented. If the worst thing you can say about a hotel is that the shampoo and the lotion containers look too much alike, it's a good place to stay. Many high-priced hotels in other cities could learn from this team about how to take care of guests.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We were going to go to DelGrosso Amusement park but when we got to Altoona if had begun to rain so we thought we'd swing by the hotel that I had made reservations at the week before. I realized that it was very early to try and check in (10:30a.m.) but was happy when I approached the desk and was told that our room was in fact ready and we could check in! Thank you!!! We found our 2 queen bed room to be very clean and it included at flat screen t.v., microwave and small refrigerator. The weather cleared and we tried to leave the hotel but when we went to close our door it wouldn't close and lock!! We tried and tried but to no avail! One of the cleaning ladies tried to get it to close too but she wasn't able to either so she sent us to the front desk. The very sweet desk clerk moved us to another room very quickly but unfortunately we had to repack all of our things and move to the exact opposite side of the hotel! This room was just as clean as the first plus the door closed and locked!! Off to the park we went!! (I'll write a review for the park also). We got back to the hotel many hours later and asked another of the front desk clerks where they would recomend a good quick dinner and she sent us across the parking lot to The Boardwalk (Review will be written for this place also!). Came back to the hotel and went to bed without incident! Here's where the problems begins (besides the one we had when the door wouldn't lock!) .....morning! We went down to breakfast and found things not to be favorable. First - the "famous" cinnamon rolls that Holiday Inn Express boasts about were not available that day and instead of them being in their "warmer" there was a note stating that they were not available but "to enjoy their other fresh baked goods" which we could not find anywhere!! The only "fresh baked" items we could find was prepackaged bite sized muffins! Also they advertise that there is a meat available but this morning there wasn't any....maybe the sausage gravy for the biscuits is what they considered "meat" but we were expecting sausage links/patties, bacon, ham etc. There were other items available - cereals, prepackaged and warmed omelets, bagels (which were very good!), juices, bread, coffee, milk and so on. While eating breakfast we could see several men working on the outside hot tub and I went to the front desk to ask the clerk when they hot tub would be ready to be used again and I was told that it was out of operation until the following day not because of a sudden problem or breakdown but because they needed to bring it up to code!. My problem with this is when I made the reservations (week before) I specifically asked if there was a hot tub and was told "yes" but was never told it would not be operational during our visit. (We had 2 girls with us who were very upset because they were promised they could sit in it in the morning!) Also, I do not feel that the cost of the hotel was a good value either.....$130 including tax. This is Altoona - but I knew the cost when I made the reservations so I can't say much about it!! This hotel is not a new hotel at all....it's a very old hotel that has had a very nice facelift. The lobby area is definately the nicest part to the hotel...looks new! SOOOOOO.....because of our 4 negative aspects of this stay (needing to be moved, no meat at breakfast (as advertised), no cinnamon rolls (as advertised) and the hot tub being worked on (even though I asked about it when making reservations) I am giving this stay a 3 star rating. Also I'd like to add that when we checked out there was a sign on the front desk stating "no pets allowed" but they in fact had a real live dog (poodle?) sitting on the front desk! No kidding!!! I'm guessing it was one of the front desk clerks but I was so disappointed in my stay that I didn't even ask about it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank dontstayathome
Baltimore
Reviewed October 9, 2008

What a pleasant surprise! Room was beautiful, spotless, had flat screen tv, complimentary bottled water and popcorn. It had a microwave and refrigerator in addition to the usual coffee maker. Staff was very helpful and breakfast was above average (cereal, yogurt, pastries, assorted breads and rolls, eggs, sausage, biscuits). Conveniently located to interstate highway and many restaurants. Would definitely stay again.

• Liked — cleanliness, condition of furnishings, breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdpooh
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Clean, comfortable, quiet & friendly sums it up. I stayed here for 2 nights while in Altoona on business. When I first arrived, I was greeted warmly by the woman who was tending to the flowers outside. That made a good first impression. Check-in was easy. I don't need a lot of frills when I'm on a business trip, but this hotel met or exceeded my expectations for the amenities I depend upon. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean (believe me, I checked it out carefully). It was quiet and the bed was comfortable. The staff was courteous in all interactions. When I called with a question about the telephone, someone came from the front desk within minutes to assist me. Free breakfast was a plus. There were several restaurants within walking distance. I appreciated the free high-speed wireless internet and the flat screen TV. If I ever visit Altoona, again, I will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express. I recommend it, highly!

• Liked — Cleanliness & comfort
  • Disliked — View of the back of a restaurant building
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Pittsburgh area
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Our recent stay at the Holidaty Inn Express in Altoona PA was highly satisfactory. The room was a decent size and very clean. The beds were comfortable and had nice bed linens. They offer a free breakfast buffet which had a wide variety of items. The only thing that was negative was that they allowed a large bus (the private kind some singers/bands use) to park in the main parking area taking a number of spaces up.

• Liked — breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — the bus in the parking lot
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Steeler_Pens_fan
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Had a great one-night stay! Desk staff was courteous and helpful after a long travel day. Their suggestion for dinner at a neighboring restaurant, The Boardwalk, was truly great.....dinner was wonderful there! Hotel room was clean. Breakfast area the next morning was
clean.....serviced well.....satisfying choices and quantity of food...great coffee!!!! Would recommend to anyone!!!!

• Liked — Location, size, courteous staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IrishAmma
Norwich
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Lots of parking space. Check in was quick. Desk was helpful and printed list containing shopping locations and places to eat.
Room was well presented. Large and very clean had booked a kingbed executive non smoking room. Impressed with space and what was provided. Stay here part of a month trip so use of washing and drying facilities handy if needed.
Broadband "sign-on" didn't work with IE, once T&C accepted via Firefox, IE was fine ! Printer in room was a bonus.

• Liked — Spacious, clean comfortable room
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple