“Not A Typical Holiday Inn Express Experience”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Livonia, Michigan
“Not A Typical Holiday Inn Express Experience”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at this establishment the same nights as the gentleman's review below. I can attest to every word he said about the customer service this past weekend, it was quite unpleasant.

I arrived at 5pm on Friday, and was tired as I was out on the road since 3 am. When I arrived, the hotel exterior looked very outdated, and not modern like MANY other Holiday Inn Express locations. When I walked in, the lobby looked a bit more modernized with a nice waterfall accent and a few couches. The first thing that immediately grabbed my attention was, I wasn't greeted with a smile, or even a "Welcome..." and the standard greeting I have normally received at other brand name hotel chains when I arrived at the front desk. There were 2 older female desk clerks (about age 40 and above). Both seemed quite occupied with things other than the customer (me). When they checked my reservation, the clerk never made eye contact, or even smiled or acted like they were really glad I was staying at this location during the entire transaction, and at the end since I was a Hotel Club member I was told I could pick a choice of snack out of a small bowl of chocolate bars and what appeared to be index cards showing different cans of soda pop. It really looked like some old bowl someone used for Halloween and they threw together what they had. Not really what I would call a warm welcome by ANY means.

I checked into my room, #103 which was a handicap accessible room (I did not need such facilities but I made due). I was in my room for about 30 minutes, and during the first minutes in your hotel room, normally you receive a call from the front desk asking if everything in your room was satisfactory, I never received a call. The shower area of the restroom looked like it had stepped out of the 1970's with brown colored tiles, and a very old shower temperature knob. The rest of the room was modern, as is standard with other Holiday Inn Express locations. It was raining and I did not want to sit in the hotel, so I went and had dinner, walked around the local mall (bout 3-4 miles west of this location), and relaxed.

When I got up on the morning of the 6th, I proceeded to the breakfast area. To me, it was like they took the area where the pool was, kept it enclosed and put all of the breakfast and food items in there. The bacon, was crappy (a lot of other words could go there but I am keeping this PG). The omelets not flavorful, and runny, the sausage and biscuits were the only good items on the menu that morning. Also, as I walked by the front desk again not even a "Hi." or any greeting. It was like I was disturbing them from watching whatever was on the TV across from the front desk. After that I packed up and headed out to explore Altoona and the surrounding area and arrived back at the hotel later that evening without any issues.

The morning of the 7th, I went and had some breakfast (extremely watery powdered eggs and some sausage and biscuits), I noticed a manager working on their pancake machine (which was out of order). Once again, not even so much as a "Good Morning" or "Hi" from this gentleman. I quickly ate and checked out. Once again upon check out, not even so much as a smile.

I have to say, out of all the experiences at various hotels I have stayed at, this is the only one where I would think twice about staying, and NOT because of the property, but because of the lack of a friendly atmosphere that was perpetuated by the hotel front desk staff. Never, have I felt so compelled. They really need to update their front desk staff, maybe hire on some younger personnel who know the meaning of keeping the customer happy.

I will say this. If you like trains and/or are traveling to Altoona to railfan or check out the local railroad history, this location is centrally located. It's about a 10 mile drive to Horseshoe Curve, and about the same to the Altoona Railroader's Museum and the Norfolk Southern Railroad Altoona Shops.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank James B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear CSXT1534,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your overall visit due to the level of service received and breakfast situation being sub standard. These points you've raised in your review have been noted and will be forwarded to management to consider for improvements needed. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I visit my family every year in Altoona and for the past 10 years I have always stayed at Holiday Inn Express, my stay on July 5th & 6th was NOT as pleasant as usual. When I made the reservation in May I had a free night due to being a club member, I was told they (Holiday Inn) had to make my 2 day stay 2 separate reservations due to the 1 free night, no biggie (so I thought) when I arrived the very UNFRIENDLY desk clerk told me I had ONLY 1 reservation for 1 night AND for 1 adult 1 child, incorrect was 2 adults 1 child, she said she had to change that but still only had 1 room 1 nite when I produced the copy I printed off line from my confirmations she miraculously finds the second!! I asked do I have to do anything the next day due to 2 separate reservations she said I have to look you may have to change rooms, why? I asked that"s ridiculous... she rudely responded "let me check" she stroked some keys stared at her computer and said "you can stay in same room" handed me my key card and the typical papers not a kind word "have a nice stay NOTHING!!!!!" Later that evening when returning to the hotel I stopped at the desk, there was a young man and I asked him to check my reservations to be sure I had the 2 nights in the same room since I had NO confidence in the original check in clerk, he checked and said all was good. Fast forward to the NEXT afternoon, the second day of my stay when I returned to my room my key card WOULD NOT WORK!!!!! ( putting on my shocked face here) had to go back to the desk and presented my issue to another clerk who activated my card and said it had ONLY BEEN ACTIVATED FOR ONE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! which goes back to Miss unfriendly clerk on my check in.!!!!!!!! My room was clean, comfortable, and all that I normally expect and find at HIE no issues here, found the lobby the hall ways, the elevator spotless with new carpet, new carpet in my room as well. As for the free breakfast in the morning, ALWAYS has been satisfactory, tasty, plentiful, with plenty of seating and very clean room and tables, on my first morning the food was horrible, the bacon was as thin as paper and this I do not exaggerated it was sliced paper thin and layered in grease NO flavor No taste very processed "something" but NO was it was bacon!!!! the sausage patties were totally flavorless no taste again very processed "something" but was NOT meat. the omelette was OK at best!! if you eat there open a box of cereal pour some milk and have a coffee! your safer if you want to enjoy breakfast. My 2nd morning there we went to Perkins next door for breakfast!!! I do recommend Perkins. Total experience was good, BUT NOT what I am used to there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear toniblackie,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We're so pleased you liked the cleanliness of the room you had. Please accept our deepest apology for the issues you had during check-in and any inconvenience the service you received may have caused you. We also apologize you were not well satisfied with our breakfast selections. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
north carolina, United States
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and it was a comfortable stay, but it was definitely a dated hotel. The rooms were a decent size, but the bathroom was very small. The furniture was dated and the beds were not as comfortable as some that I have slept on in other Holiday Inns. The room and hotel appeared to be clean. The breakfast was a typical hot continental breakfast...not bad. The staff was very friendly and even helped us find a restaurant for a birthday celebration. Overall good experience.

• Stayed June 2013
altoonaexpress, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Chris L,

We appreciate your feedback and agree with you that our hotel is dated. We have plans in circulation for an upcoming full renovation of our hotel! As we make these changes and update all aspects of the hotel, we encourage you to come back and stay with us! We look forward to your next visit and hope to hear from you again!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We arrived on motorcycles and they ere very accommodating by telling us we could park our bikes under the portico so if it rained they wouldn't get wet. Room was typical HIE. The hotel is within walking distance to chain eateries. However, e took a cab to Fenelli's for a fabulous dinner, even though the motel was serving a complimentary dinner from a restaurant across the street. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nadine R,

Thank you for your review! Although we do not have a designated parking for motorcycles, we do understand how much our guests concern for their vehicles. Designating motorcycles under our car port was the best area we could accomodate our bikers! We are very glad you are pleased with this! We also hope you enjoyed Fenelli's, they are a fantastic restaurant. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon!
South of the Border, South Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Although it was only a one night stay the hotel was a welcome sight after spending most of the day driving through a never ending rainstorm. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Complimentary bottled water, microwave popcorn and granola bars were waiting in the mini-fridge in the room. A Perkins and independent steak house connect to the parking lot. The plaza next door has a Five Guys Burgers and Fries and Pizza Hut Express.

The room was spacious and modern with wifi, microwave, fridge and coffee maker. There is a garden with tables and chairs for use on days without rainstorms. The breakfast buffet was large and nicely stocked with a variety of hot and cold items.

The staff seemed genuinely concerned that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed yourself. There is a coin operated washer and dryer near the vending area on the first floor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mrbeanguy,

I am very pleased to hear your feedback about our hotel! Our Owner has put a lot of thought in the beauty of our hotel including the patio. We our continueing to update our hotel to keep the life and style up to date. The patio area was renovated this summer and has expanded with a lot more area's to relax and enjoy the quiet outdoors, even in a city! The location of the restaurants and business district is key to all our guests and plans for more to be built are coming in the near future. Again, Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next stay!
Round Hill, Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The accommodations were fine for our short stay. (Checked in after 9pm, checked out by 7am). Room was clean, towels and sheets still white and not grungy. We were checked in by what we had to assume was a trainee since her badge had trainee written on it w/ no name. She didn't say much as she was concentrating on getting the info in the computer, but the other people checking in at the same time were checked in by a helpful person who explained everything. We were handed our key and given directions to the elevator behind us. My main complaint is the cancellation policy. When I inquired about cancelling our room 48 hours in advance I was told by the hotel they could not cancel it because it was booked through a third party (Expedia.) When I called Expedia to ask why it was non-refundable they said it was the hotel policy based on the rate we were given. I have never heard of such a policy with a hotel - having a non-refundable rate?!?!? The lady at the reception told someone on the phone they only had one room left for that night... so it's hard to believe that with 48 hours notice this hotel would not have been able to resell the room. To be fair, the paper work from Expedia did say it could not be cancelled, but I wanted to know why... and I still am baffled by the reason of it being based on the rate when this was not the cheapest rate in town even when compared to equivalent hotels! Unfortunately I would probably look for a different hotel in the future as I do not understand this policy and have never encountered it before in all my travels...domestic and international!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear IMHO-123,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found our rooms clean and comfortable. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and I am delighted to see you were able to experience it. As for the cancellation policy, we have recently implemented a new pricing structure that allows us the opportunity to offer deeper discounts to our customers. In order to offer these rates we must attach restrictions such as cancellation fees or full prepayment. Some of our lowest discounted rates carry full prepayment requirements while others carry a cancellation fee. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead offer options that make sense. We always appreciate comments from our guests, and we will use this feedback in making decisions about our future pricing strategies.

Krysllin G.
Charlottetown, PEI
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We always stop at this HIE in our travels south. Great service and usual HI comfort. The garden area at the rear of the hotel is a wonderful spot in which to relax. I noticed the hotel has removed the hot tub but now there is even more outdoor eating space. Breakfast area has access to this outdoor space as well. For guests staying longer, the hotel has a BBQ available to do your own cooking. If you are travelling as we were, there are lots of restaurant options a few minutes walk away. This time we sampled the Mexican restaurant, El Campensino and were glad we did. Great food and very reasonable prices. Several drugstores also within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
altoonaexpress, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Happycanadian13,

Thank you for your feedback to our hotel! Having the opportunity to provide our guests with close and good attractions outside of our location is such a privledge to us and our guests!. We look foward to your next visit to Altoona and hope you enjoy the new attracations that are coming to our area in the near future!