“It just kept getting better and better”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Alexandria, Virginia
“It just kept getting better and better”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Me and a buddy went to three Penn State Football games last fall. Each time Sue St Martin and her staff out did themselves in making our stay outstanding. They continually came up with new ways of improving the service and making our stay fun and very enjoyable. From the per-game football party Friday night until we left on sunday morning, they couldn't do enough for us. I travel a fair amount with my job and they set the standard for outstanding customer service. They have won us over they will continue to be our PennState headquarters for here forward.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to know that we "just keep getting better and better". We strive to maintain high levels of service and provide our guests with a chance to unwind and be themselves. We hope to see you again for the 2012 season!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. I loved that they include a nice hot breakfast with the price of the room and there is coffee available 24/7. However, the walls are very thin and I could hear the family next door quite clearly. I also could hear someone using a hair dryer in their room from down the hall. I stayed in a non-smoking wing yet the entire place and my room smelled like cigarette smoke. There are lots of restaurants and place to shop nearby and it's easy to get there via the highways.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with our property. We became 100% smoke free as of Jan 1st and I suspect that some of our regulars are still "adapting". We are are continuously working to help them adjust. I apologize for any noise that you may have experienced, we never want a guest to have a less than wonderful experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hot breakfast and location. I hope that you stay with us again on a return trip.
Budd Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We have stayed here several times while visiting the area for railfanning. It is very nice and comfortable, front desk friendly and helpful. They have complimentary breakfast with pancakes, eggs, sausage biscuits, yogurt, fruit, bagels, cereal. Also included in the room is a complimentary pkg of popcorn and bottled water in the fridge, I think there was also a snack bar.

The hotel is convenient to Cresson and Gallitzin for railfans and to Horseshoe Curve. Perkins Restaurant is right next door or if you prefer there are plenty of other restaurants in the area. There is also a Denny's up the road if you prefer for breakfast.

Room Tip: Good location
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JLFLOVESFOOD
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. I am pleased that we provide you with a great location and friendly helpful service. Because you have come to know us well, I will share with you that we are in the early planning stages of our renovation project. Once completed I hope that you find even more to love about our hotel. Thank you for sharing your kind remarks. See you next time!
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 5, 2011

From the moment I walked into the lobby, I was impressed with this hotel. It's beautifully decorated with an emphasis on comfort. The staff was friendly, my room was clean and well-appointed. I especially appreciated the shower! There were several free extras, that I am used to paying for - namely water and a snack in my room, and a delicious breakfast. The fitness room had gym-grade equipment, and was truly created to be a fitness room (not just a treadmill tossed into a large closet). There were towels, a water cooler, and a flat screen TV. The hotel is on a strip within walking distance to many famous chain restaurants. It was an all-around wonderful experience!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Christina K
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We receive many compliments on our showers. In fact, they are so popular that they are available for purchase through the Holiday Inn Express brand website. I am also pleased to hear that you found our complimentary water and snacks, fitness center and overall comfort to be to your liking. We hope to see you on many return trips!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We are staying in the Holiday Inn Express. The staff are great at check-in and they gave us tips regarding local establishments (like Planet Fitness and many restaurants) that offer discounts to HIE guests. We have a suite with a 42" TV, computer, printer, blu-ray player, etc. and breakfast is free. All around a great value. We will stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank S&A_Houston
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
I am very pleased to hear that you are happy with the quality provided by our hotel and staff. I am also very pleased to hear that you would stay with us again. Should you need anything during your stay or on a return trip please do not hesitate to contact myself, or a member of our team!
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed at this hotel prior to the Penn State vs. Purdue football game. The staff at this hotel were absolutely delightful from the moment we entered the door. Being from out of town, we knew we needed to find a place to have dinner, but when we checked into the hotel, we were told we were welcome to join the "tailgate." This hotel had LOTS of great food, alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages, and activities for all the guests of the entire hotel to enjoy... all without an additional cost ... AMAZING ... we just stayed at the hotel versus venturing out to a restaurant! The room was very clean. We highly recommend this place, and if we return for another football battle vs. Penn State, we'll stay here for sure!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank laura31882
altoonaexpress, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you for saying such kind things about our hotel. I am very happly to hear that your stay with us was a pleasant one. Customer service is always at the top of our list and it is always nice to hear that it is appreciated. We intend to continue the pre-game tailgate parties next year, please let us know if you have any suggestions. We hope to see you again on November 22 & 23rd of 2013 when Penn State is once again host to Purdue! Thank you again for your kind remarks.
Columbia, SC
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I spent two nights at the hotel due to a family emergency. The staff was exceptional, especially Bonnie and Ryan. They were caring and made a difficult experience less stressful. I can't thank them enough for their help and patience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank N S
I am glad that we were able to assist you during a very stressful time. I have shared your kind remarks with Bonnie and Ryan, both of whom recall you and hope you are well. Should you need us again, please do not hesitate to call. Thank you for sharing your experience.