“when your stuck it works”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Princeton, NJ
“when your stuck it works”
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed here because it was the best of the hotels that still had a room available when I arrived in altoona. It is clean and the desk was very friendly and helpful. flat screen tv mounted on the wall.

None the less, I would prefer to stay elsewhere. The breakfast was not even your standard hampton inn/holiday inn breakfast. There is a computer on the floor but you have to pay to use it , even to check email....

The lobby is more of a walk through and so it did not have a welcoming feel.

In short, If your just looking for a clean bed this is a fine place to stay.

• Liked — clean room flat panel tv friendly desk staff
  • Disliked — general atmosphere, pay for computer, breakfast choices
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Travel4Joy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Garden City, MI
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Holiday Inn Express came to our rescue. We had a motel reservation across the street at Q. Inn. We left there because it was too nasty. Holiday Inn Express really treated us wonderful. They gave us a beautiful room that was clean, comfortable and worth the money we paid ( which was pretty cheap).
We enjoyed the whirlpool outside. It was a great experience. The shower was wonderful and they give you wondeful smelling lotions, shampoos and conditioners.
The staff was great and so was the breakfast. We were treated like Kinds and Queens. A+++++++++ all the way.

Thank you Holiday Inn for coming to our rescue at the last minute.

• Liked — cleanliness of room
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank wdama
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2007

For such a moderate price, this is surprisingly impressive, with spacious, inviting public areas and a very professional staff. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast and the breakfast room itself, which is unusually bright and large--even an inviting little outside patio area for warmer weather. With miniature cheese omelets and bacon on top of the customary continental breakfast offerings, you're
really looking at a full hot breakfast buffet.

We didn't have time in Altoona to check out locally-owned dining options (always our preference) but there are several chain choices right around the HIE itself. We opted for one that was unfamiliar to us--"Joey's"--right across the parking lot, apparently one of the few
locations in the Northeast States of this Nantucket-themed franchise.
The food here was actually quite good, particularly for a franchise, and prices very reasonable.

One annoyance: the aforementioned Breakfast Room doubles as a Cyber Cafe and though in theory the hours do not overlap, at least on the morning of our visit more than half the tables were taken up not by people eating breakfast at all but by business travellers hunched intently over their laptops or making loud cellphone calls. Not conducive to a completely relaxed breakfast atmosphere but admittedly
business travellers are probably the customer base here.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Torontotraveller2
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We had a school related competition in the altoona area.
Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express and it was fabulous!
They were very helpful, friendly, and exceptionaly clean.
Overall, You will have NO concerns when you are there, it's
every travelers home away from home.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — there was nothing we were not pleased with.............
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank phil413g
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 11, 2006

I've stayed at just about all the other Altoona area choices, and this was great. I will experiment no longer. It was very clean, the staff was VERY nice and personable. The property itself has actual charm as opposed to the usual cinder-block towers this level of hospitality usually entails.

Nice little complimentary goodie box in the fridge, free bottled water (Hello Sheraton and Hampton Inn!), and the night desk clerk literally ran to my room when I asked for a razor. The microwave and fridge were a rare but nice touch for this level of property.

The bed was very comfy, four pillows, and the bathroom, though aging, was spotless. The water was hot with strong water pressure, and all the drains drained quickly.

The internet was free and fast, and the lighting was easy to work by (a big plus for road wariors).

Morning breakfast bar was well-stocked, good hot items and the coffee was fresh and there were plenty of newspapers and seats in the eating area.

HIX in Altoona is doing good work, and I canNOT understand any negative reviews. For the price, one can not do better.

• Liked — Cheerful Genuine Staff, the Value for Money
  • Disliked — Location, dreary strip-mall land
  • Tips/Secrets — Perkins does a nice take-out from next door.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank JoshuaVincent
PA
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I was skeptical when my husband told me we had a reservation at a Holiday Inn as our experience has not been positive with this chain. One nights stay at this Holiday Inn was not enough. Clean, fresh and the added touch of a warm throw on the bed made it seem like you were home. Choice of soft or firm pillow and the bed was comfortable! I actually got a good night sleep! A microwave and frig in the room with complimentary bottles of water, bag of microwave popcorn and granola bars. A nice treat for hungry kids who can't wait to get to the restaurant! Clean, white towels and the shower head worked beautifully!
The complimentary breakfast was just perfect. And the price is a steal.
The Holiday Inn Corporation needs to check this Inn out and learn from their finer points of "customer service."
This Holiday Inn Express is a hidden gem!

7 Thank smithy02
Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Had a most unpleasant experience during a one night stay in July. Booked a room at the hotel web site at state gov't rate. However, upon arrival and after showing my state ID, was told that I would have to charge the room with a state issued credit card. Since I only had a personal credit card, I had to pay an extra $20. OK, so I pay a liltle extra. However, when asked if I could assign it to my Southwest rewards account instead of the hotel rewards, was told that they didn't do that - I would have to call Southwest. I completed the info on their website (Holiday Inn Express), but nothing was ever posted.

I also requested a wake-up call for the next morning, early enough to get the free breakfast before my meeting. However no call came, causing me to skip breakfast to get to my meeting. When I asked why I wasn't called, was told that I had turned the phone down and didn't hear the call. Not true. Front desk folks were very "unwelcoming" throughout.

Next time in Altoona, I'll stay at Courtyard or Hampton Inn. I won't "Stay Smart" again.

Stayed July 2006