“Out and About”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Springfield, Ohio
“Out and About”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Two or three times each year, my family and I travel to Altoona, PA to visit relatives. This past trip we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott, where we have stayed before, finding the facility and service to be excellent. My grandson and I spent several hours in the swimming pool and we made use of the Bistro (restaurant) for before bed time snacks and breakfast. As usual the room was clean, as was the bathroom area. Plenty of pillows and blankets. Quite honestly, as a Platinum Elite Member, I have a vested interest in Marriott, but could not find a single issue to complain about.

Room Tip: Have always been in a room on the west side of the building. Always very quite.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Kent S,
Thank you for your review and return visits to Courtyard Altoona. I'm delighted to hear of the excellence in both service and cleanliness that you consistently experience. We value your loyalty to our brand and hope to welcome you back at our property again in the near future. Thank you once again for your comments.

Katie Millward, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We had an early morning hockey game in Altoona. This was a perfect stay. The kids enjoyed the pool. The parents enjoyed the Starbucks coffee in the morning. The lobby and rooms were decorated nicely. Beds were comfy. Rink was 5 minutes away. The only thing I thought was weird were the towels at the pool. They were hand towel size.

Stayed February 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
PermanentVaCa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your experience at Courtyard Altoona. We're delighted to have had you and your family stay with us while attending an early morning hockey game, and we're glad our hotel and amenities perfectly suited your visit. I appreciate your feedback regarding the pool towels and will be certain to share your comments with our staff to heighten awareness of such issues. Please plan to visit us the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again for writing.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Needed a nice, reasonable hotel for overnight stay for myself and 2 kids. Early morning hockey tournament far from home. Clean, safe, quiet accommodations. Personable staff, nice heated pool.
Great breakfast in the lobby at Starbucks, had a fantastic sandwich and my kids enjoyed their cereal and fruit. Close, easy drive to restaurants. Great value and will def be staying again in the future for all of our hockey road trips!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
reidsmommy,
Thank you for choosing Courtyard Altoona while in town for a hockey tournament. We're happy to hear our clean accommodations and friendly staff made for an enjoyable stay. We look forward to serving your family's hotel needs for future hockey road trips. Thank you again for writing.

Avis, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Well, I'll first start off by saying that the only I stayed here was for business, and my employer paid for the room. To me, this hotel is clearly for business guests (those that don't care about spending extra money for trivial perks). Granted the hotel is really nice and so was the room. But, the room itself was nothing special, and had the same amenities you'd fine in similar hotels of the same class. So, I can only assume that the $100+ nightly rate was for all the other services the hotel offered, which is great I guess if you planned on staying in the hotel around the clock. I would've given a three star rating at least but for one thing, the internet service. I was shocked (and "shocked" is not the word I want to use) to find out that their internet is a "two tier" service. There's the "free" internet which is really only good for browsing, and a "pay" internet that is for streaming. WHAT A JOKE! Not since 2009 when I stayed at the Trump Plaza in Atlantic City have I ever seen such a scheme. Given what they charge per night, they had the gall to charge EXTRA for an internet speed that is pretty much standard now. Granted, the charge was $5/day. I only paid because the rest of my stay was covered. But, I couldn't imagine paying for the room AND extra for decent internet. Yes, $5/day is not much (Trump Plaza was $20/day and no "free" internet at all), but it's the principal, given that the rooms are nothing fancy. Oh and if you come across some bottles of Aquafina water in the room..it's $2 extra if you drink it...LOL. Wow, Courtyard...you couldn't even get spring water. But, I will say that the staff was nice and very professional. One last thing, when I say the hotel is "out there" it is "OUT THERE". Nothing around it all....except a convention center. No stores, shops or anything. I felt I had left Altoona completely, even though the city was a couple of miles away.

As long as someone else pays...I will stay here. Otherwise, I'm out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Lonso,
Thank you for writing. We sincerely apologize for your disappointment with the internet service and any inconveniences you experienced as a result. The additional charge for higher speed internet is a Courtyard Marriott brand standard. Your feedback is important to us as guest satisfaction is our highest priority. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise and found our accommodations and service to meet your satisfaction. We hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Altoona, PA on Nov. 28, 29, 2013. The hotel was connected to the convention center and overlooked a portion of the city. The staff was extremely friendly. We made use of the swimming pool, which was well stocked with towels, and the Bistro for dinner, breakfast, and snacks. The location of the hotel was within an easy drive of major shopping areas and restaurants. There was plenty of parking and the WiFi reception was good.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in overlooked the front of the hotel and had a balcony. Because of the hotels loc...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Kent S,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience at Courtyard Altoona. I'm delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed a pleasant stay and had an opportunity to explore all that our property has to offer. We hope you'll visit us again for more family fun. Thank you again for writing.

Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Very nice hotel. Room is spacious and clean, and so is the bathroom. Front desk guys are welcoming and informative. A minor issue is that we were assigned a connecting room, and when there were people talking by the door in the next door room, it would sound like they were in our room. We were a little worried about our TV being too loud to annoy our neighbor until were found out there would be such problem only when people were talking by the door. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wei H,
We appreciate you writing a review from your stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. We're glad you enjoyed your stay, our friendly staff, as well as our clean and spacious accommodations. I apologize for any noise disturbances you experienced during your stay. I'm pleased to hear you would return for another visit, and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Thanks again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the Altoona Courtyard for two nights when in the area for a home Penn State Football game. While this Courtyard has been retrofitted with the new lobby configuration, the rooms are not up to date. The result is a basic Courtyard experience. Functional but in no way on par with a main brand Marriott. The rooms are a bit beat up and tired. Towels a bit threadbare, sheets a bit stiff. But clean enough overall. Good water pressure in the bathroom and a friendly staff. It gets the job done but would not want to stay here for more than a few nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Travelingwithwhit,
Thank you taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments. I will be sure to discuss during our next staff meeting.
Katie Milward, General Manager