“Loved it”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
North Tonawanda, New York
“Loved it”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Loved this HOTEL....Very clean!!!!....Enjoyed the pool. The Hotel staff was great....especially Jamie. People write negative things about Hotels unfairly... Had a wonderful 2 day stay......Complementary coffee and newspapers in the mornings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
robin m,
We’re happy to hear from you, and we’re glad you loved our great hotel and wonderful staff at Courtyard Altoona. I’m delighted to know that our clean hotel, excellent service, and value added amenities made for an enjoyable stay. I’ll be certain to pass along your complimentary feedback to our team and will recognize Jamie with a special commendation for providing such outstanding service. Please plan on visiting us again soon at Courtyard Altoona. Thank you again for writing.

Katie Millward, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lakewood, California
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is my 3rd stay in this property and noticed that they had some renovations done in the lobby and the rooms. Lobby and Rooms looked nice and modern and definitely a big improvement from my past visits (4-5 years ago). I have had great exoeriences in the past but had mixed feelings during my recent stay.
Pros:
1. Rooms are consistent with Marriott standards- Comfy bed, clean, spacious rooms with Balcony (3rd floor), crisp linens, a refrigerator and microwave.
2. Ample parking is free
3. Although the menu is limited, Breakfast at the Bistro is good with huge portions. I had the French Toast with strawberries, sausage patty and scrambled eggs. The portion is enough for 2 people.
4. Management is engaged and jumps in to help.
5. Late check out and the front desk staff at check out (female, glasses, long hair), was so pleasant. She came out of her desk, asked how are stay was and bid us goodbye and safe travels with a sweet smile.
Cons:
1. The walls between the rooms are quite "thin". I can hear conversations next door, shower running, etc. There was a sporting event last weekend and a lot of kids/families in the hotel. The noise level was high and could hear them running in the hall way.
2. Staff friendliness and service is inconsistent. Check-in experience was mediocre. The front desk associate was on the phone when we walked in. We stood right in front of her and she never lifted her head to acknowledge us -no eye contact or "hello I'll be right with you", etc. It was an awkward moment to stand in front of her for a good 10 minutes, watching her with her head down and avoiding eye contact. As soon as she finished her phone conversation, she picked up another call and continued on with the phone conversation. I called her attention and told her that we are checking in. She replied, "guest check out is 12 noon and I do not have any rooms available" (this was about 11:30 AM). "I'll see what I can do" and continued on with her phone conversation. At this time, the manager passed by and saw us standing there, greeted us cheerfully and helped us. She looked in the computer and checked us in right away. The check-in process took less than 1 minute with her.
Housekeepers (2 that were assigned on the 3rd floor) were quite rough and abrupt.No hello's or greeting in the hallway, I saw one eating/munching on pretzels from one of the rooms she was cleaning, The guest elevator is also the service elevator and we have to make room for the cleaning cart in the elevator.She pusehd her way in with her cart and we have to move all the way in the back of the elevator. They are also loud and I felt obnoxious in knocking and "yelling" HOUSEKEEPING as I can hear it called from room to room. We asked for a late check out and as we were leaving, (1 PM), the house keeper made a comment that we are leaving late and implied a negative impact/delay on her work. Totally unnecessary comment as we got approval from the front desk to stay until 1 PM.
I did not feel I got a great value and experience for the price paid this time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea63,
Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority so we’re happy to hear from you. We appreciate your observations on both positive feedback and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We’re sorry for the areas that we fell short in meeting your expectations and sincerely apologize for the inconsistency in service. I will address these items with our team inorder to make improvements to provide a more positive experience. We value you as our guest and appreciate your patronage. We hope you will return for another visit to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Missoula, Montana
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I recently ended a month long stay at the Courtyard by Marriott. Jen runs a great, accomodating hotel that makes life on the road much easier. The best part of staying at the Courtyard has to be the breakfast staff, Brandon and Rebecca. They made my stay so enjoyable that I wish I had never left. Thank you

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is a nice perk.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
jack c,
We’re happy to have had you as our guest, and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Courtyard Altoona. I’m pleased to hear that our staff’s excellence in service made for an enjoyable stay and added extra comfort during your visit. I will be certain to share your kind comments with our team and will recognize Jen, Brandon and Rebecca with special accommodations for their excellence in service. We value you as our guest and hope we have an opportunity to extend our hospitality to you in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,
Gilroy, California
Reviewed July 30, 2013

A very clean hotel with great beds and a Starbucks, what more could anyone want?!
Staff were very friendly and helpful, I would stay here again when visiting the area.
It has everything you could need in a hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Debbie S,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Altoona. It’s wonderful to receive your kind comments about our clean hotel, comfortable beds and friendly staff. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel well suited for your travels. We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Altoona. Thank you again for writing.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed one night and it was pretty good. Room was very spacious and bathroom was big and clean. Our room had fridge and microvawe. The only negatives are that fridge door was broken and air conditioning unit was broken also. Thermostate does not work so it keeps blowing cold air so i had to turn it off at night when temperature dropped to 60 degrees. Same story goes for the heat so we had to do without alltogether. However if these problems will be fixed it is a very comfortable place to stay. Overall i would rate it as very good. Also to keep in mind that courtyard does not offer free breakfast while other marriott brands do.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank perlusha
perlusha,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered during your stay. Please know I have addressed these items with our staff inorder to make improvements and provide a more positive experience. I’m pleased to hear you liked our accommodations otherwise and found your room to be clean and spacious. Thank you again for writing. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again in the near future

Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed for five nights with my husband and grandson while we explored the surrounding area. The front desk staff were ALWAYS friendly and helpful. We felt welcome every time we came and went. Even the housekeeping staff were friendly when we saw them. The room was large and comfortable. We bid through Priceline, so we got a great price.
The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that I felt the room should have been vacuumed each day and the sheets were rather worn. I would certainly stay there again if I were to come back to Altoona!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Amywr,
We’re delighted to hear of your pleasant stay, and your appreciation of our staff. It’s great to receive your kind comments about our spacious and comfortable accommodations, as well as our friendly service. We appreciate your feedback on opportunities for improving our guest experience and will certainly address these items. Thank you again for choosing Courtyard Altoona. We hope to see you in the future for more family fun.

Kind regards,
York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This room was not worth $159.00. We were very disappointed in the room. Furniture was in bad shape and the desk drawer looked like it was ready to fall out. The bathroom was dirty between the door and the tub and the shower liner was old and dirty. The pillows were so worn out that we felt like our heads were on a rocks. There were stains on the carpet, that made us feel that all of the carpet was dirty.

We were in Altoona for a funeral as my husband's brother passed away suddenly. We did ask for a bereavement rate and she said there were none available. It was a very tiring time and then there were 2 fire alarms at different times.

We did get a 20 minute dip in the pool which was lovely and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Nancy B,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and acknowledging our friendly staff even though the accommodations were not to your satisfaction. We sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service. Your feedback provides many opportunities for improving our guest experience. We value you as our guest and hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you travel to Altoona.