“Great Getaway...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Altoona
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“Great Getaway...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Family visit. The panoramic views were wonderful. Can't wait to go back in the fall to see the trees ....Last year was there for the foliage. Spectacular. All rooms appear to have a great view. Very nice staff and pool area and deck. Relaxing and Enjoyable. Close to all Rest and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony... You can even lay and bed and see scenery. Great set up
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Brampton, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

When we arrived, we were pleased to see a brand-new building and everything looked great. We would have stayed at the local Hampton if it was available, but we settled for the Courtyard by Mariott. The rate for the room was slightly higher than what we are accustomed to paying, but not way out of line. The rooms was neat, tidy, well-made and the pool and hot-tub was a great feature as well. However, the buffet breakfast was not included in the price, and at $9 a head, we decided to head out for breakfast. Also, for our liking, we found the beds to be too soft and weren't able to sleep as well as we had hoped.

Overall, the hotel was fine, staff was courteous but rang a little low on the value scale.

Milton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Returned from this stay to discover a family emergency at home, so I forgot to write it.

My husband was in the area for a two day bowling tournament, and we were not impressed with the hotel suggested by the bowling league, so we opted to go on our own and got this hotel through Hotwire (where I do about 75% of my bookings).

I had to have my foot operated on right before we left, and I also have balance issues, so I phoned in after getting the Hotwire confirmation, and they were happy to upgrade me to a room with a walk-in shower. And I must say the accessible bathroom was fantastic - the nicest one I've been in so far. It was huge, so if you need a wheelchair, scooter, or walker to get around, there is a lot of room to move.

The hotel is out of the way, which has a few drawbacks, but you don't have to deal with traffic or noise. There are plenty of chain restaurants and shopping nearby. Easily accessible from the 99.

I don't know why someone said they felt the furniture looked like Salvation Army furniture. I thought it was very nice. You have to be realistic - hotel furniture sees a lot of traffic and it does get scratched and dinged. I never understood why anyone would mark down for that. Wi-Fi was strong, and worked well.

My only grumble, and I don't blame the hotel for it, was with their bar in the lobby. It attracted some very rowdy people who decided to camp out in the area with lots of food and children in their pajamas who ran up and down the halls. I don't know if there were complaints, but eventually it quieted down. It wasn't late enough for me to call and ask them to quiet down. Breakfast the next morning was very good, and the price was reasonable.

I would definitely stay there again if I found myself in the area.

Room Tip: Got Great Rate With Hotwire
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

We were in town for a wedding and wanted a nice place for the family to stay. The Courtyard by Marriott was just what we were looking for. The room was large and clean, the staff was friendly, and the hotel was easy to find.... right next to the Convention Center. The hotel was veeeeery quiet and the room-darkening shades made sleeping that much easier. The balcony was small, but room enough for 2 chairs and a small table. The made-to-order breakfast was 8.95 per adult and 3.95 per child under 12. The only problem was the in-room air conditioning wasn't working as well as it could have been. Made the night's temperature inconsistent. Other than that small hiccup, we would very gladly recommend this hotel to any traveler in the Altoona area.

Warrington, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed here on a business trip when in the area. I checked in and went to my room and found a very dirty room, the carpet had not been vacuumed, and there were ants. When I called the front desk, they said someone would be up. After an hour of waiting, I went down and they gave me the vacuum and I cleaned the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank shoregal04
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed here for one night on a weekend. This hotel is pretty convenient to I-99. I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn in Altoona before and the Courtyard is definitely located in a better area of the city. In all, the quality is what you would expect of a Courtyard hotel. I purchased the room through Priceline and the gentleman checking me in mentioned this in a bit of a condescending way. The room itself was very clean and comfortable. Each room had a small patio with a (working) sliding glass door which was a nice touch. We had the buffet breakfast in the dining room which was just OK – again, no better or worse than what you would expect. Our server was very friendly and attentive. No video/in-room checkout option was available, but checkout at the desk was quick and easy. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

This property is located on the edge of town, away from the noise. Plenty of shopping and food options right around the block. The staff was so friendly and the location is very quiet, no noise issues at all. Will be back soon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple