“Great Texmex food for a good price”
Review of Montezuma Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

Montezuma Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are several Mexican/Texmex restaurants in Altoona, but Montezuma is the only one that has drawn me back to it several times. I've enjoyed every meal I've had there. I like it more than El Campesino's. There's a Chipotle on the other side of town at the other shopping center, but I've always found Chipotle a little overpriced. You can get more food that in my opinion tastes better for a lower price at Montezuma, and there are a huge variety of dishes at Montezuma, as opposed to the burrito-based menu of Chipotle.

I think comparing the two is unfair in some respects--Chipotle is technically a fast food restaurant, whereas Montezuma is the full dining experience with very welcoming wait staff. You can order steaks, seafood-based dishes, grilled chicken breast, and of course various kinds of burritos, tacos, fajitas, quesadillas, taquitos, enchiladas, and so on. Even huevos rancheros! They also have a fairly broad and appealing vegetarian menu--the spinach quesadillas are good, and I'm a meat eater!

They also serve alcohol and have a full bar area in the center of the restaurant with various sports playing on TV screens, with more "family friendly" dining areas on the other side of a partition around the edge of the restaurant.

Some recommended dishes:

Dinner:

Special Montezuma for Two -- if you're with someone, you can share this humongous meal. "Shrimp, steak, chicken and chorizo with bell peppers, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms." At 22 dollars to feed two, it's a great deal. They also have Fajitas for two.

Steak Mexicano (also Ranchero or Americano options -- depending on which, it's cooked completely differently. The steak Mexicano is a rib-eye steak with bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, and ton of rice, beans, and tortillas. Excellent flavor.

Carnitas -- seasoned and fried pork chunks, served with rice, beans, and tortillas. Somehow they sealed the juices in to an extent that I'm not sure I've had better pork anywhere. Absolutely succulent and tasty, and way more meat than I expected. Quite filling.

Lunch:

Obviously they serve all the dinner menu at lunch as well, but they have a special menu of reduced priced combos and meals at lunch time. They serve the Carnitas at lunch as well, at a reduced price.

They have a LOT of great combos of your more standard Mexican fare, such as the Speedy Gonzales, Chilaquiles, Burrito Special, etc.

Some recommendations are the taco salad, the fajita salad, and the Special Montezuma (grilled chicken with onions and various sides).

Meals I wouldn't recommend (or for an acquired taste):

Watch out for the tomatillo sauce (the green sauce, made with the green tomatoes). It's pretty sour, and the one main dish made with it, the Enchiladas Verdes, was not very good. Again, the sauce is sour, and I found the roast beef pretty dry. It only came with some Spanish rice for a side, as well.

All meals come with complementary chips and salsa (I like the salsa. A lot).

The service as mentioned is great, food gets to you pretty quickly (not more than a ten minute wait at the most, probably for the more intricate dishes, and usually far less) and if they make a mistake they go out of their way to correct it. For instance, one time when visiting alone I went to the restroom. Upon returning I found fresh chips and salsa on the table (I had eaten quite a bit of it, so I was surprised to see them refilled). When the waiter brought my food, he apologized profusely: one of the busboys had thought I'd left and had cleared the table. So the waiter had quickly cleaned the table and replaced everything with fresh dishes. I hadn't even noticed this entire exchange, and I was only in the bathroom for a minute or two.

All in all this is a very enjoyable restaurant, and in my opinion, the best one in Altoona.

1  Thank Om O

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were only in Altoona for one night. We had a long day watching trains at Horseshoe Curve, and we were starving. Mexican was our pick, and Montezuma Mexican turned out to be an excellent choice. I can't believe the quality of the food, and generous portions for the price. Also our waiter was very friendly and helpful. I noticed that many customers here were locals, so that tells you lots. Overall, it was a great meal at a great price. We will definitely eat here again!

1  Thank William C B
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Ate here with the wife and kids. Very good Mexican food. Good portions, authentic taste, dos Equis on tap, and a clean place. Clean bathrooms. Prompt service. We have eaten excellent Mexican in Texas and SoCal, and this is close. Unexpected in central PA.

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe this place. I always heard it was so good, but next time I will pass on the offer to go with anyone. The food was disgusting and I couldn't bring myself to eat it.

1  Thank mes5215
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The food was tasty, fresh, and well prepared. A great surprise in Central PA. The Carnitas are an excellent choice. The flan is exceptional and this is a very good value overall.