“One of the nicests hotel I have ever visited”

Comfort Suites Altoona
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Charleston, West Virginia
“One of the nicests hotel I have ever visited”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

A big deal for me is a clean, hair free bathroom-this place was spotless. English speaking, American employees and staff explain the cleanliness and well managed facility. Room was very spacious and beautifully furnished. Beds are very comfortable with quality sheets and comforters. Extremely clean. The room contained a new microwave, refridgerator and a terrific Keurig coffee maker with supplies for tea and coffee. Coffee was available at all times in the lobby. The staff provide excellent information for guests regarding the area. The togo breakfast bag was sparse with only a water and an apple. One issue that needs to be addressed is the guests who choose to ignore the no-smoking policy; their inconsideration resulted in a respiratory issue for me-when this is reported to the desk something needs to be done not ignored. The recommendation from the front desk to visit the KnickerBocker Tavern was the best info I received. An excellent, old place with a beautiful courtyard to enjoy a great day.

Room Tip: Suggest a top floor room request to prevent the upstairs walking noise. Many people forget to be co...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AirForceTraveler
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very proud of the job that our housekeeping and maintenance staff does every day. We hear from many many guests about how pleased that they were with the overall cleanliness of the hotel. We try to enforce the non-smoking policy of the hotel 100% of the time. We require guests to initial that they are aware that our hotel is all non-smoking and any violation of this rule will result in a $150 charge for their stay. We value the trust that you put into us to provide a clean smoke free environment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Milton, Ontario
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and when we knew we'd be traveling through the area this summer, I didn't hesitate to book the hotel again. The hotel is clean, the rooms spacious and the beds are comfortable. Again I must mention that having a real crib for the baby is very much appreciated. The kids loved the warm pool. The lady who served our breakfast was the same one we had had previously and she was friendly and gracious. The rate for this hotel is less expensive than comparable hotels in Altoona proper. (I gave service a "very good" rather than "excellent" because I had requested in advance that the crib and sofabed be set up for our arrival. Neither were done. In fact, I had to wheel the crib to our room myself.)

Room Tip: Book at the chain's website in advance to receive a discounted rate.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I am sorry that we did not have the crib set up for you upon your arrival. We will share this information with our staff to improve our service for all of our guests. I am pleased that the rest of your stay was great and that you are a returning guest. We have so many guests that return for many visits and they become friends for life. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
PITTSBURGH, PA
Reviewed August 27, 2012

There is nothing that I can say bad about this hotel! The staff were wonderful from the time that I called them and asked them to tell me how to get to them from the interstate! They stayed on the phone with me until i felt confident that i was sure where i was going! From the second i walked in the lobby to check in till the time i checked out the following morning they were very prompt at tending to my every request! The entire hotel was spotless and well tended to. The rooms are very roomy and very nicely decorated. Each room was equipped with small fridges and microwaves. Very comfortable beds and the bathrooms were well stocked with towels and toiletries. They breakfast in the morning was excellent also! It was open for extended hours than I am used to. They had it open for almost 4 hours long! And they had hot and cold entrees, including two different types of waffles! They offer coffee-tea-hot chocolate all day long in the lobby! The lobby is quite welcoming to sit for a bit and visit with other folks! The pool was on the small side, but it was big enough to let my children enjoy themselves! The exercise room was nice looking also even though we didnt use it! The hotel is situated up off the main road and is surrounded by mountains! Beautiful to walk outside in the morning and see the wonderful view! I plan to visit the area in a few months again and I will definately be staying there again

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites, so you cant go wrong!
1 Thank MRBinPA
Thank you for your thorough review of your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you felt that our staff was wonderful. We take a great deal of pride in the service that we provide to all of our guests. I am also glad that you mentioned the view from our hotel. I always notice that we have many guests taking pictures of the surrounding view. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here for move in day for Penn State, State College. We couldn't find anything closer. I was surprised to find that it's about 6 miles past Altoona toward Penn State. This was ideal for us, as it made getting to campus very easy the following day. It was a bit late when we checked in, the front desk was very friendly and efficient in getting us checked in. Our car was packed to capacity including a trailer tray full and a bike on the roof. We asked if we could park near the front door, as all spaces were taken, except in the farther corners. He was happy for us to park there where our stuff would be safe. The room was very clean and very large. Two queens and a pull out, which was perfect for our 18 and 13 year olds. Beds were good, and hotel was quite. Had a great night sleep. Breakfast was standard and crowded. The person tending it was friendly and kept things supplied and everything moving well. The following night we had purchased ice cream at the Penn State Berkey Dairy for friends and family. They pack it on dry ice, but we still wanted to keep it in a freezer over night. A new person on the desk was happy to accommodate us and our ice cream was safe and frozen. We had another very good night there and was off toward home the next day. We will stay here again. I almost hate to tell everyone about it, as I'd like to keep it to ourselves.

1 Thank bobjrcomptree
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are so grateful to have many great relationships with the families that have students at Penn State Altoona and the Main Campus. We look forward to your many visits in the future!
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We came to Altoona for a ball game and some exploration. The Hotel was perfect. The front desk was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and perfect with the pull out sofa, each kid had their own bed! Breakfast was nice. Couldn't have asked for more...maybe seating. The food was good, nice selection. Not just cereal and doughnuts. GREAT WAFFLE MAKER! The only improvement I could suggest would be adding seating, especially when hotel is full. The swimming pool was a bit small. 8 kids makes it crowded, but our kids had fun. I would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast. We try to provide items on our buffet to accommodate all of our guests. I am also very pleased that the size of our rooms were able to fit your family. Many of our guests tell us that they enjoy having the bigger rooms that we provide with the sleeper sofa. I hope you come visit us again soon!
silver spring,md
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here so we could check-out the amusement parks. Liked the hotel very much. Staff was very nice. Altoona does need to get some nice places to eat tho. We tried to find the Applebees. Staff told us wrong where it was. We drove around for a long time and finally ate in Chil's which we did not like at all. Hotel breakfast was very nice and always stocked,. Place was quiet for sleeping too.

Room Tip: rooms away from parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am very glad that you enjoyed our hotel. I do apologize that our staff gave you incorrect information for directions. We will make sure that all of our people understand the importance of giving correct information at all times.
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a VERY clean establishment. They have everything you need and it's right off Highway 99. Horseshoe Curve and many other restaurants are about a 20-minute drive. Breakfasts and Wi-Fi are free. Although it's called a suite, I am not sure if I completely agree. It does have a quarter wall separating the beds from the couch and chair setting along with a nice size office desk. The bathroom is a very nice size. The only complaint I have are the walls are thin. We could hear our neighbors which I am not a fan of.

Room Tip: A/C runs from the thermostat on the wall not the unit itself.
1 Thank dk6499
Thank you for mentioning how clean our hotel was doing your visit. We feel that there is nothing more important to our guests than a clean hotel and friendly service. Please ask our front desk staff for directions to area restaurants upon your next visit. We have over 20 restaurants that are minutes from the property.