“A nice place”

Comfort Suites Altoona
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a VERY clean establishment. They have everything you need and it's right off Highway 99. Horseshoe Curve and many other restaurants are about a 20-minute drive. Breakfasts and Wi-Fi are free. Although it's called a suite, I am not sure if I completely agree. It does have a quarter wall separating the beds from the couch and chair setting along with a nice size office desk. The bathroom is a very nice size. The only complaint I have are the walls are thin. We could hear our neighbors which I am not a fan of.

Room Tip: A/C runs from the thermostat on the wall not the unit itself.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dk6499
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for mentioning how clean our hotel was doing your visit. We feel that there is nothing more important to our guests than a clean hotel and friendly service. Please ask our front desk staff for directions to area restaurants upon your next visit. We have over 20 restaurants that are minutes from the property.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Altoona

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stay here when visiting my mother who lives across the street in the "home" as we affectionately call it. This is an interstate hotel.....only there because a highway runs by it but for me it is a great value. The rooms are big, nicely appointed, clean and include breakfast (not great but toast and cereal is ok). The rooms are a bit noisey so we use the fan as white noise to buffer it. I would not stay on the first floor near the lobby... too noisey but other than that no complaints. We used to stay at the Marriott Courtyard which is the only other hotel in Altoona I would stay at, but this is better (except if you want restaurants, shopping then stay at Marriott).

Room Tip: Noisey so stay away from lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property. I am so pleased that you found our location to be convenient for your visit. Many of our guests tell us how much they like that we are at both a quiet location and also easily accessible to I-99. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Back in Altoona and reminded why the "Comfort inn" isn't my first choice, woke up by housekeeping @ 9am could of sworn that "Do not Disturb" was up, funny I can't find it in the room housekeeper that woke me up must have it... oh well I'm just not happy here next time its my favorite in Altoona or its my car cause atleast no one will wake me up early there...

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Michael K
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

I appologize that your sleep was interupted by the housekeeper. I can assure you that we would never intentionally disturb a guest. I hope that you will try our hotel again.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We chose this location over a couple others in the area based on the excellent reviews we read on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we were somewhat disappointed. Like another reviewer around the same time, the main problem was the front desk. We arrived at 5 pm and were told that there were no clean rooms available, but that they would have one within 10 min. They claimed this was because they were sold out the previous night. No big problem. We waited and were given a key to a room, only to find that the maids were still working on it!
We took a look at the pool, but decided against trying it, as it just didn't look that inviting.
The room was clean and fairly large. I would have traded in the marble in the bathroom for more water pressure.
The breakfast was good and the lady working the breakfast bar was very pleasant. The forks were awful flimsy for cutting a nice waffle.
On our return to the room the 2nd day of our stay we discovered that the key card no longer worked. A trip to the front desk remedied this, but it should never have happened.
Also I asked if they had any pillows which were firmer, but they didn't.
It was a good hotel with a nice lobby and room appearance, but because of front desk problems, not worthy of 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

I am sorry that your room was not ready for you upon your arrival. I am also sorry that your room key quit working for you. Sometimes the cards loose their magnetic code if they are too close to a cellphone. I hope you will try our hotel again.

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a very quiet area right off of I99. The room was large with 2 beds and a seperate sitting area. The room had a K cup coffee machine. We also enjoyed the breakfast that was offered. We ail definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed the K-cup coffee machine in your room. We find that guests like the modern conveniences that our hotel provides. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

As usual, the reviews on tripadvisor are spot on. The hotel was great. Large room, clean, great location for us. Breakfast was great. Pool is small but does its job. I highly recommend. We went as a family of 5 to visit the local amusement parks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for you kind review. I am pleased that you and your family had a great time both in our hotel and at DelGrosso's Amusement Park. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just got done with a very stressful 500 mile drive through construction and various stop and go traffic. Needing a break. Arrived at 4:30PM. Check in is at 2PM. Ours room was not ready according to front desk clerk. Would be at least 30 more minutes. Throwing excuses our way. Really not interested in it. She did though swipe my credit card and act as if all was well even though she knew room was not available. Almost decided to keep driving further down road but we were shot and went to find something to eat. Hotel is probably 6 miles or more from anything. Got something to eat - got back around 5:45 and told room was ready. She again asks for my credit card and I reminded her she already swiped it "oh". Then asks for official government ID for governement rate - yep fine I got that. Funny in all my years of traveling and staying at choice hotels this is the first time this has happened. Then she asks me what official government business I am traveling on. - really- this is none of your business sorry lady. Felt like I was being treated second class and this is the same place that I am already getting checked in late due to lack of planning or staffing or caring not sure.

Rooms are very nice. Pool is very small no hot tub and uncontrolled kids. Same goes for lobby area group of rude uncontrolled 10-12 year olds wrestling around and using bad language. Like a mini zoo. I don't expect staff to raise others kids and teach parenting 101 but they did not do anything to remedy this. I finally yelled at some kids around 11pm as they were running and yelling down the hallway. Cmon parents step up.

Breakfast area is tiny. Breakfast fare is per usual and decent

Hotel itself and rooms are very nice and clean. Just a bad taste from the little animals running around uncontrolled and the front desk inattentive and lack of caring.

Also when I made reservation...not sure why I waste the time and keystrokes stating I would like an extra blanket and pillows upon arrival. Request not met.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank IowaKclan

I am sorry that you did not get the service that you expected from our hotel. We try to have all rooms ready for guests when they arrive. We also try to give guests a later check-out when they are in need of a later stay. All of our rooms do have extra blankets and pillows in the closet. I hope you stay with us again and have a better experience.