“A little out of the way but worth it”

Comfort Suites Altoona
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
La Grange Park, IL
“A little out of the way but worth it”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in September 2011. We stayed a total of 5 nights. The hotel is located right off of US 99 north of Altoona. The hotel is all by itself in an industrial park. We checked in with no problem and stayed in room 107. The room was large and clean except for the bathtub area. This is a fairly new hotel that opened a little over a year ago. The shower surround was made out of panels of what looked like granite. The lower corners of the granite where it meets the tub have darkened where water seems to have pooled and been wicked up into the wall panels. There was nothing on the surface of the granite that I could feel but the color was there. The joint where the tub meets the wall panels wasn't sealed well allowing the water to wick up the wall panels. This is a construction issue and not a maintenance issue. One other problem was that the keycard slot for the north entrance door didn't work a day after we checked in. We arrived on a Monday. Tuesday afternoon the keycard slot stopped working forcing us to walk around to the main front entrance. We informed the front desk but the slot still wasn't fixed when we checked out Saturday.
Now, on to the good. The pool looked clean but we didn't use it. The breakfast area was large and served the usual waffles, eggs, sausage, etc. The tables were large too which is important to someone likes me who likes to read the paper as I eat. The beds were very comfortable and I slept well all 5 nights. At home, I sleep in a waterbed and have slept in a waterbed for over 30 years so getting a good night's sleep in a hotel bed is unusual. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom and the shower had a curved shower bar. Checking out was hassle free. If you don't mind driving a little ways out of Altoona, the Comfort Suites is a great choice. I paid a total of $555.70 including taxes for the 5 days.

Ken Koren
La Grange Park, IL

1 Thank KPKOREN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Comfort Suites in Altoona was very nice. The staff was attentive and the facilities were very well maintained. Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean. Breakfast was plentiful and attendant was helpful. Very nice stay.

NoVA
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The Comfort Suites is less than 2 years old and is very well designed. Everything is clean and well done. The breakfast is very typical. The reviewer who suggested that people bring their own food because there is nothing within 6 miles apparently did not make a left turn out of the parking lot and proceed 0.10 miles down the road. There is a nice restaurant right there on the corner as well as other options. If you turn left again and drive a couple miles, you will find other restaurants (pizza, burgers, etc.).

Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Hurricane Irene changed our plans from Wildwood to the mountains of Altoona! Trying to get far enough from the hurricane we decided to take the grandchildren (ages 8 & 9) to Delgrosso's Amusement Park and booked at this Comfort Suites for two nights. Hotel is very nice with spacious rooms, very clean, heated indoor pool for the kids, free breakfast & computers hooked up with the internet in the lobby.
Our problem was the second night at the hotel. We just came upstairs to our room with the girls after swimming in the pool and were sitting there relaxing when all of a sudden a man used a key and opened our door and was coming in when my boyfriend went charging after him and he said oh...I can explain - there is no explanation for this!!
The front desk gave us a couple of stories why he even had a key and was able to just come into our room. One was oh he checked out Friday Night, well this was Sunday Night and the key still works?? Then the next story was he goes to Penn State and was assigned this room if the hurricane hits the college....well first of all the storm did not cause evacuation of the college that we are aware of.
He came first tried the key and it blinked red..so he went to the desk and said my key for Room 219 is not working and the girl re-swiped the card so it would open the door. Never asked him for ID at all.
Our girls were very upset as well as we were. Who expects some stranger to just walk into your room. What if it was 15 minutes earlier and we were still down at the pool - would we have been robbed, my purse was right on the desk. What if I was coming out of the shower or we went to the ice machine on the floor below and left the two girls alone for a couple of minutes, thinking they would be fine with the door locked. A hundred scenario's play through your mind. Not to mention my boyfriend could of really hurt this guy had I not jumped in between them.
The girl at the desk and the manager were very apologetic why we were still there. The manager told my boyfriend he would comp our two-night stay for their huge mistake. Came home checked with charge card and two nights were charged to my card. A call to the hotel said oh they made another mistake and will take off one night only. We are very upset over this because we were told both nights would be taken care of.
The manager's response to this was well "you only had a problem one night"!!
I can't even imagine this is the way management decided to resolve this whole mess.
You would think to save their reputation they would of done what they said they were going to and really would they have gone broke losing another 100.00 on the second night.....

Room Tip: Always put the chain across when in the room!
6 Thank Deb911
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Wonderful hotel, very clean, staff helpful, breakfast buffet was terrific with make your own waffles, sausage, eggs, great variety of pastries, cereal. Pool was fun for the kids to make a splash. view of the mountains spectacular. A gem in the heart of PA!

Pittsburgh area
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed here for the night before “moving in” day at Penn State’s main campus at University Park, Pa. It is about 35 miles from the college but an easy drive on I99 and keeps you away from the congestion. The hotel’s address lists it as being in Altoona but it is north of Altoona in a nice quiet area. The hotel is fairly new and the rooms still have a new feel to them. Our room was very clean and had comfortable beds. There was NO evidence of the bedbugs whatsoever. The room was equipped with a Keurig coffee machine. Which we thought was a nice feature. They serve a complimentary breakfast buffet with the basics. Warm items included “build your own” egg sandwich and waffles. The only complaint I have is, is that plastic utensil are very poor quality. The knife would not cut my waffle.

Room Tip: They offer a AAA rate.
1 Thank Steeler_Pens_fan
Virginia, USA
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Until recently, I never heard of Altoona. For those in central PA that may be sacrilege but in truth, there aren’t many in the business world that need to travel to Altoona. But if you do…and your more concerned with staying at a clean, well appointed, well priced new hotel than you are at staying near downtown Altoona then you might want to stay at the Comfort Suites. Plan in advance to drive ~ 10 minutes to dinner or any shopping.

Driving aside, you’ll find yourself greeted by a friendly staff in a well designed lobby with immediate access to business center computers and a small lounge with a large television. If you’re staying on the second or third floor (which I would recommend over the 1st floor) you’ll likely take the only elevator up. It’s a slow elevator and found myself instead using the well lit and carpeted stairwells instead. If you’re planning on making many trips by stair, you’d be well served by getting a room on the far ends of the hotel.

The rooms themselves were fantastic. Seriously. For the rate, I’d compare with higher end Marriott and Sheratons. Beds were comfortable. Rooms were tasteful with new, modern furniture. The large bathroom sported granite and quality fixtures (just don’t expect a high pressure shower because the water pressure is pretty low). A modern frosted glass panel divides the sleeping area from the lounge/desk area.

Oddly enough, given the location, I understand from the staff that this hotel is often sold out - and the parking lot was packed! I wouldn’t have thought but apparently many people stay there instead of in State College for Penn State visits. That would explain why the clientele were less business and more families. Unfortunately, I found the clientele loud and the walls thin. I think the challenge for this hotel will not be in capturing a good chunk of the Altoona market but in preserving their current freshness. Already I saw a hint of what’s to come with a loose shower faucet.

For the price and comfort, I’ll take the Comfort Suites over an older, tired, and closer (to Altoona) hotel any day of the week.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business