“One Thing Missing”

Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum
Ranked #3 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum celebrating the history of the railroad in industrial America.
West Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“One Thing Missing”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Took my kids here and they loved it except they did not have any moving toy trains. Other train Museum's I have been to have had this that the kids could control. This is why I did not give it a excellent rating.

3 Thank WV71

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“It was worth the trip.”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The museum was set up to go to 3rd floor first. Had a choice of elevator or stairs. Some of the exhibits were activated by motion detectors and others were hands on. They have a toy train setup for kids as well. The place is family friendly. Also, traveled to the horse shoe curve which was included for the price of $10.00.

Visited August 2013
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Nice train museum”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went here recently with my four-year old. I wasn't sure what to expect and whether it would be appropriate for young children. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I think train buffs of all ages would like this. The exhibits are quite good. Some of the exhibits are interactive so my son was having fun. It isn't a huge museum. We spent about an hour here. Some people might spend more time if they're reading all of the exhibits. My son has a shorter attention span so we went quickly through the museum. There are some cars in the train yard but only one that people can go in. Unlike others, I had no problems with doing the museum and the Horseshoe Curve in a single day. We'll go back again!

Cleveland, Ohio
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“American history!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great place to learn about the history of the railroads. My son had a wonderful time! Buy the package to the curve.

Sarasota, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Trip down memory lane”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Many artifacts and stories scattered throughout 3 floors and a yard full of old cars. Don't miss the short movies shown as well inside a small theater of the 1st floor. Only drawback was being forced to purchase an admission that included a sameday only admission ticket to Horseshoe Curve. The SAMEDAY restriction does not work for most, and the Curve can be enjoyed without an admission cost. Otherwise, no problem recommending this Museum to train buffs of all ages

1 Thank Rusty R