“Delicious food in an unexpected place”
Review of Aldo's Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Aldo's Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Altoona
“Delicious food in an unexpected place”
Reviewed November 14, 2008

This little place doesnt look like much from the outside,but inside it has a warm and friendly atmosphere.The kitchen sure packs a punch.From delicous homemade pasta,fresh baked bread,varied choices of the cooks best soups and an assortment of deserts I had a difficult time making my mind up!
The Veal marsala ... so tender and creamy was served over a bed of the best homemade angel hair Ive ever had.As it was way to much to finish, I took alot home for another day. The soup, Italian wedding, was piping hot and soul warming... just perfect.Although I shouldnt have , I did have desert and found the tirimisu so good I ordered one to go as well. I know Ill be back and next time Ill be bringing my friends with me.
Dont miss this little diamond in the rough, food like this is so hard to find.I give this place an ecxellent rating but dont take my word for it , come and taste for yourself!

ALTOONA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Find Aldo's And Be Rewarded With Great Italian Food”
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We found Aldo’s restaurant in the Altoona yellow pages. It is located in a unassuming neighborhood marked by a small sign for the restaurant and the adjoining bar. It is worth your time to search for it. You’ll be rewarded with authentic Italian food, homemade pasta and gelatos.
We started our meal with homemade soup. At least two choices of freshly prepared soups are offered daily. We tried the Italian wedding and the cream of mushroom. The wedding soup was fragrant with cheese and meatballs and chicken stock. The mushroom soup was velvety and each spoonful was concentrated with flavor.

My husband had the homemade gnocchi with vodka sauce. The pasta was cooked perfectly and covered with a creamy red sauce and chunks of tomato and a hint of spice. I chose the chicken Parmesan. The chicken was hand pounded and had a light dusting of breading, topped with homemade red sauce and thick layer of cheese. Both dinners were huge and provided us with a delightful lunch the next day.

Aldo’s offers several selections of homemade desserts and homemade gelato. We tried the apple dumpling. It was enough for two and made with apples from the owners own orchard. The puff pastry was sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar. It was light and flavorful not heavy and doughy like many apple dumplings.

The staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the food and its preparation.

Our meal, with a glass of wine each, was under $50.

The locals have no trouble finding this gem so if you plan to arrive on Friday or Saturday evening, call for a reservation.

1 Thank AltoonaHoney