“Historic Site still in use!”

Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: An unusual construction of rail-building that enabled trains to move westward.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We got to see two trains traveling in the opposite directions. We wished there was an actual ride to experience the track, but it's good to see the tracks are still being used. Inside the museum shows what the landscape was like during the process of creating the train passage. Also, the car ride runs every 30 minutes to bring you up the hill to observe trains passing and go back down as well.

1  Thank 15Dutches

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We all like to get together & pack a lunch. Walk up the stairs & sit for hours waiting or a Train to come round the bend. If you are really lucky you will have two of them passing each other what a thrill. Even after all these years

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I spent a great afternoon here. The site is well maintained and the staff are friendly. There are benches and picnic tables as well as a soda machine at the viewing area.The view to the east from the viewing area at the tracks was beautiful as it was a clear day. If you love seeing trains fairly close, this is the place to go. We were there three hours and saw at least 15 trains. At one point, there were trains on all three tracks at once.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I am not a big time train fanatic.
I kinda sorta thought you would be above the "Curve" and looking down - seeing the whole panarama of the train chugging up the hill - hitting the peak @ the curve and heading down.

Actually, you are inside the curve...you can't really see the trains coming up - you see them rounding the curve...and then they disappear as the go down.
I imagine in the winter - with no foilage - it might be more "panaramtic"...

It was OK...Kind of a "been there, done that kind of thing"

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently took my 4-year old son here to watch the trains. During the one-hour visit, we saw 6 trains including 4 freight trains, an Amtrak passenger train, and a set of engines without cars attached. He really enjoyed seeing the trains. The funicular is a short ride up the side of the hill, which is also fun for kids. I would sugget bringing a picnic lunch to eat while you wait for the trains. In addition, if traveling with young children, I would suggest bringing some toys or something to entertain them while you wait. Overall, this was an enjoyable visit.

1  Thank sarahbethe