“Worth the 150 mile trip!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Half-Day Walking Tour: Berlin Wall, Cold War and Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #5 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth oldest park in the United States.
Oil City, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Worth the 150 mile trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I didn't know what I was getting into after reading the discouraging reviews of this park. When my wife and I arrived at the entrance of the park with its brick-patterned walks and running fountains entrance I didn't know if I was at the correct spot or not. i was so far impressed. (Our only disappointment was that our shih tzu pup was not allowed in the park and I'm not sure that "no pets" was mentioned on their web-site or not.)

Our main reason for going to Lakmont Park was to ride Leap-the Dips. Which I did (my wife still being a little timid of roller coasters) and was not disappointed. I met a couple there from Buffalo, NY who were making their 3rd trip on the Dips and planning a fourth.

On my way to the Dips I notice all of the shade trees, benches and flower gardens that someone, in a previous review, mentioned the park being devoid of such spots...not so! I also found the park to be very clean as well.

Skyliner is another good wooden rollercoaster...still a thrill. Similar the Conneaut Lake's Blue Streak or Idora Park's Wild Cat but I believe a littlelonger ride.

I cannot comment of the food or other rides as I did not partake in either but I did find the staff friendly and informative. Yes, the rides are older attractions but were well maintained.

Go back? Why of course and the next time we will take some of our friends.

7 Thank RAM16301

USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Leap The Dips is Great Fun; The Rest of the Park has Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

After reading some of these reviews, I had very low (or even poor) expectations for this park. On the contrary, I found this park to be quite safe and reasonably clean. But let's face it: THE reason to visit this park is to ride the world's oldest roller coaster, Leap The Dips. Leap The Dips is incredible fun for all ages. Riding this coaster alone makes the trip well worth it to this park. Though the general admission fee is reasonable, you have to pay separately for Leap The Dips (which can become somewhat costly if there are repeat or multiple riders).

However, I agree with the general sentiment that DelGrosso's is a much nicer park (especially for kids) than Lakemont. The hopeful thing for Lakemont is that it has much potential. Its close location to the Altoona Curves stadium is also a plus. But, I think it is in great need of more rides in place of some of its current offerings. The park could also benefit from more landscaping too. Visiting this park made me feel that its best days were in the past. The good news is that it has the potential to reclaim its old luster. I hope it does.

5 Thank PersonUsa
North New England
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“An Ok time but some concerns about security and safety”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

Lakemont park was having a $5 ride and slide deal for the 4th of July (regualr price is $9.95). That in itself should scream run away. W decided to try it anyway as we were in the area and keep an open mind. There was no parking available as the lot was already filled so we ended up paying $1 to park in a parking garage not a big deal and I am sure our vehicle was much cooler than those who got the free parking the the parks lot! It was a $ well spent. Going into the park wrist bands are given to indicate the ability to ride all rides accept, Leap the Dips (I think that is the name of their "big" coaster, go carts and mini golf. Passing on those "attractions" was fine however. The park it self could use some updating with landscaping. There was little shade except for a few treed here and there and there were tents in place with picnic tables available. Food was very expensive pices I would pay at Walt Disney World yet the quality was poor. There was a sigen at the cocessions that read NO FREE ICE NO FREE CUPS NO FREE WATER! Seriously on a day as hot as this one was this was the least that the park could have done- to offer free ice water. I know it is a small park and I know we only paid $5 per person to get in but these are the things new visitors notice about the atmosphere of an attraction. On the other hand, Lakemont was very liberal in what was allowed into the park. People had coolers, wagons, grills, chairs etc. There was absolutely NO security check so in essence anyone could have brought ANYTHING into the park without any of the park team members blinking an eye or caring. I am cool with the abiliy to bring in food and drinks into the park in a reasonably sized soft sided cooler especially given the prices and quality of the food offered at concessions. I was just shocked at the ability for anyone to bring anything into the park. It looked like people were moving in for a week long stay or more withthe things that got carted in. This to me is a securiy issue and is not acceptable at any park at any price.

Rides looked as if they were from a travelling company such as what one would find at a local county fair. I dobted their safety though no on in our party was hurt. The ride attendents run the rides were all teens, which is nothing against teens but when a majority of them are spending more time texting than they are with the safety checks, it is a little unnerving. Attendants didn't speak to guest unless they had to and there were not to many friendly faces to be seen with team members. Guest were expected to load and unload themselves from the rides and in many cases secure their own saftey devices with only a cursory check from the attendants. This also is not acceptable to me. Safety needs to be priorty in an amusement park and it was generally an after thought here.

There were several lost children this day and the way to locate a perent/grandparent etc was to announce the child's name agae and the name and relationship of the adult that they were trying to find. I am glad that efforts were made to connect the lost children with their adults but I could have claimed the child with the information that they were giving out over the PA system. They need to com up with a better way to deal with this than freely giving all the information out over a public system.

We went over to the water park area. There were two twirly slides available. My older daughter flipped her foam slide on the way down and got a bloddy nose. Not one attendant checked to see if she was ok and she was immediately allowed to get back on the slide with nose still bleeding. Unfortunately she hadn't noticed at first that her nose was bleeding and in the chaos of the area my husband who was waiting on the benches didn't notice either. By the time I saw her at the kiddie area where Iw as with the other children, she had mostly cleaned herself up. I was shocked that none of the attendants at the bottom of the slide, nor at the top once offered assistance or at the very least pulled her out of the line to get her cleaned up. She doesn't have any blood born diseases but they didn't know that, this could have been a real health hazard with another person. The kiddie area appeared well staffed by lifegaurds though they kept blowing their wistles and I am sure no one know to whom they were blowing them at. The kids had a good time in this area and the water appeared clean and well chlorinated and given the nimber of diaper wearing and diaper age children I would hope that it would have more than enough chlorine to kill what it needed to. I do doubt that the pool would be shut down however if someone did more than pee in the water given the way the rest of the park was run. THe bigger pool was also crowdw but well staffed with life gaurds who seemed to be paying attention to the swimmers. The water in this pool was very cloudy and I can only imagine wat was floating around in there...

Over all we had a good time but because of the companions we were with and not because of any delight the park offered. I would look into another amusement park in the area if I were to ever again visit Altoona.

There were various items of trash through out the park. Guests need to be more considerate and staff needs to be more prompt in keeping the park clean rather than leaving it all where it lands until the end of the day. Bathrooms were not clean either.

3 Thank Christine J
PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect for our family with younger aged kids. They loved it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

This park is perfect for younger kids. Not a large park and the price is perfect. We reallly liked the dollar days they offer on Wed and you don't feel like you spend alot of money to enjoy a day out. The kids love the Pirate pool.

1 Thank Bmrmartin
Pittsburgh, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overall a good experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

We went on a "Dollar Wednesday;" each of us got in and rode all day for $3.00! What a deal.

Once you leave kiddy land, there are FEW rides that any little ones can join their parents on. Leap the Dip was stuck (really wanted to ride that one).

It's a little dingy and outdated, but for the normal admission price of $10, you can't beat it. You are allowed your own food in the park, even alcohol in the pavilions.

Don't buy the food there; the only good item was the cheesesteak, albeit overpriced. The sodas are watered down/flat (i.e. Awful). Bring your own food and drink!

3 Thank kiltedlawyer

Been to Lakemont Park? Share your experiences!