“Definatley worth the trip .”
Review of Lakemont Park

and up
Private Half-Day Walking Tour: Berlin Wall, Cold War and Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #5 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth oldest park in the United States.
Central ,Pa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Definatley worth the trip .”
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We just got back from a trip to Lakemont park . and I must say we certainly plan on going back.. We will only go on "dollar Wednesdays" though where the wristband admission was only 3 dollars a person. and the mini golf was 1 dollar a round. This is not a Huge park by any means. This is really not even a Medium size Park, But It is really is nice. there are 2 larger roller coasters . the one called " leap the Dips" is some form of historic coaster.....but it really feels like it ... I guess that is the fun of it , but you feel like the wood is going to crumble beneeth you , OR your cart is going to bust open ... Should have been a sign when the staff had to push us over to the incline... To its defense
I do believe this type of coaster is weight driven. anyhow. this is a very nice day out. the water part of the park is nice, they also have plenty of picnic areas around the park . I read the reviews hear and thought it was to much hassle to take our food but, I really would like to say do it, you can carry in small charcoal grills, coolers ect . as previously said the food is way overpriced and even my huibby who eats anything was so unpleased...Packing food and drinks next time. All and all we will go back for another get away . Very nice Park about 30 rides in total about 5-8 are for the little ones . go carts a nice but they are an extra fee ... but only paying 12 dollars for a family of four to ride and swim all day we could afford it ...
Just a Nice day out that didnt break ther bank ... Definatley take your own food .

3 Thank dbillow

bechtelsville, pa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Treated like a third class citizen at the water park!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2007

My husband, 4 year old son, 10 year old neice and I visited this park last July. The young girls working in the water park were very rude and obnoxious. The berated my (4 year old!!) son for things that he did not understand were wrong. My husband and I were right by his side letting him know if he was doing something he shouldn't but apparently that was not enough for these girls. However when some of the "local" children were doing the same things my son was doing, it did not seem to bother these girls (I am certain these children were local children because the girls would stand and talk to the parents in a way you would not talk to someone you just met.), When my husband protested to the way the girls were treating my son, they became beligerant and when my husband got angry, they threatened him with ejection from the park. My neices version of the attitudes of the employees in the adult section of the water park was no better.
The ride section of the park was much better. The ride operators were much more freindly. A few of them even let the kids stay on for a second ride instead of making them get off and back on again. The condition of some of the rides were a little scary, but the kids were too small to ride those rides anyway. for $9.00 I would probably go to the amusement section of the park as it is cheaper than putting them on rides at the local fairs.
However for a few dollars more you can go to Delgrosso park with much nicer employees and a beautiful clean park with well maintained rides.

2 Thank tballkid
Athens, Alabama
203 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 924 helpful votes
“An Old Time Amusement Park”
Reviewed June 13, 2006

This park is just as parks were back in the 50's and 60's with rides that were mostly made during that period or earlier. This is not a world class park with all the latest rides but they did have some rides from my childhood that brought a smile to my face. What made it even more special was being able to share what I thought were only long gone memories on those old rides with my son. The Leap The Dips coaster built in 1902 is the oldest operating coaster in the world and is the only side friction design coaster in existence. The Skyliner is another classic wooden coaster with a ride and thrills that can't be beat- no seat belts just a good old lap bar and you'd better hold on to it. The Toboggan is a classic portable carnival coaster and to my knowledge the first coaster ever to have a 90 degree vertical lift. The day we were there the park was not crowded but did seem to be doing adequate business. The rides seemed to be reasonably well maintained (it could use a little sprucing up but it was clean) and the operators and employees were courteous. If we were ever in the area again we would definately visit this park again. A great place to experience a slice of Americana.

4 Thank coastermeister
Curwensville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not a good place to go!!!”
Reviewed August 24, 2004

I visited the park with my children. There is a real need for updated rides. Most of them are rusted or have a cheap coat of paint slapped on them. Not too mention that there really isn't a lot there to choose from. The operator of the large swing ride didn't measure or care about my sons height. She said that he was big enough to ride it. Once the ride started I watched in horror as my son struggled to stay in the seat. I had her stop the ride and informed her that she needed to adjust her thinking of who is "okay" to ride that ride. The train ride that takes you around a small circle has some areas of the landscape that is in desparate need of maintance. There was trash all over as well as the water smelling of sewer. The park in general is not kept clean. There is trash around the grounds, picinic tables are not kept clean, and some of the food prep areas even look dirty. I am very disappointed in the way that the park as been let go. I expected a lot more, at least a lot cleaner. The roller coasters are not that much better. They look extremely shaky and rusty. The carts barely have enough safety belts, if any, to make you feel safe. The large white coaster does not feel safe at all. The devices in the carts do not do a good job holding you in the cart. As the cart goes over some dips, you are lifted up and feels as if you are going to be thrown from the ride. The food is extremely expensive for the quality and quanity of it. Not to mention that I was able to see one of the booth get the food ready, they made the food on dirty work areas, the food was barely cooked, and the server was very rude. The general attitude of all of the workers in the park is awful. They make you feel as if you are a pain to be there, like they have something better to do and you are just taking up their time. They are too busy taling to other workers and friends then to make you feel comfortable or help you enjoy yourself. I was so upset with the experience that I did complain to a worker and ask to speak to the manager but was told that they all went home for the day and that I could call them later!! Very bad experience and I will have a hard time recommending the park to anyone else!!!

8 Thank hsc1973
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lakemont is just a great old amusement park!”
Reviewed September 14, 2003

I grew up with Lakemont Park, now my children are experiencing parts of my childhood. The old wooden rollercoaster, I just love it. The gate price is excellent especially when you had 6 children, to pay for admittance. Now I have 3 grandchildren to take! Lakemont is just a great old amusement park! I go there every other summer with my kids when we come up to Buffalo Mills to visit with my parents.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Lakemont Park? Share your experiences!