“Return visit -- We liked it better this time around”
Review of Lakemont Park

Lakemont Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$178.49*
and up
Private Half-Day Walking Tour: Berlin Wall, Cold...
Ranked #8 of 24 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth oldest park in the United States.
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We visited Lakemont Park in 2009, were very disappointed with it, and I gave it a negative review. We were in the Altoona area again last month, and decided to re-visit Lakemont Park to see if anything had changed.

This time around it was only $5 for a ride-all-day pass, so we opted to just go ahead and get them. Mini-golf was only $1, and my daughter wanted to play, so we gave it a go. I noticed they have planted lots of flowers around the golf course. The last time we were there it looked so plain and abandoned. This time it was bright and colorful, and we enjoyed it. It was a great bargain at only $1.

We rode most of the rides in the park (not the kiddie rides). The Skyliner was awesome, my daughter liked the Toboggan, and while I wouldn't call Leap the Dips fun, exactly, I'm glad I got the chance to ride it. There were no lines for anything, which was great. Most of the employees weren't what I would call friendly. The two young ladies working at the front entrance were very nice, and a young man working at Leap the Dips was very nice. The others weren't rude, but they weren't friendly either.

I still think there are a disproportionate number of picnic tables. I don't know why they have so many, but they do. I guess it's better than having not enough. We didn't buy any food there, so I can't comment on that. We didn't use the water park because it was an overcast day and not hot enough for us, but we walked over to take a look at it and it looked clean.

It took only an hour and a half to do everything, including mini golf, but we felt as if we'd gotten our $5 worth.

2  Thank jcemom
in 28 reviews
"toboggan"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed June 10, 2011

At Lakemont you get what you pay for. For a $5 admission you get unlimited rides and waterpark. The waterpark is so so...it's nothing outstanding and offers no real thrill but does offer a place to cool down on a hot day. For $5 the rides are not anything spectacular. The rides are old and could stand to be updated, many of the rides appear to be aged carnival rides.

Many of the reviews here mention the lack of shade trees and beauty. To a first time visitor to this park you would think we were nuts. However, to us locals this is so very true prior to 1986 Lakemont was very shady and had a lot more beauty to it than it does today. The short lived years of Boyertown took it's toll on the park.

Also being local we know about the other amusement park, Del Grosso's. That is a classy well maintained park in comparison. Del Grosso's charges for that extra comfort too. Del Grosso's is expensive for the average family, It is in the class of amusement parks that could become a theme park with little effort and you pay for that. If you are wanting to save some money have some fun Lakemont is ok.

As any Mother knows you pack a lunch and lots of drinks when going to the park to save on the family budget. Lakemont is not the most beatiful of parks, it has it's problems but with a little planning this can be a very budget friendly outting for a family. Of all the rides in the park the train is the one thing you should not miss! It is a relaxing ride that hasn't changed much over the years and it's cool on a hot day as most of the ride is in a shady area of the park.

For $5 don't expect anything close to a theme park but rather expect more of a carnival type atmosphere and you will enjoy Lakemont. It is buget friendly and very affordable for the whole family if you are just wanting a day of fun without the glitz.

6  Thank OneSweetSin
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I took my children to the park for what I thought would be an enjoyable holiday outing. What a terrible mistake on my part! The park has little to no charm, the food stands are dirty and overpriced and the staff was not very helpful. I understand you can take your own food into the park and I would highly reccommend to anyone considering a visit that they plan ahead and pack a cooler. I will not return, good luck to anyone who is desperate enough to pay admission to this park.

3  Thank JennyJenny_8675309
Reviewed May 12, 2011

When I was spending some time with family, and our traditions are always to go to del grossos. I had just gotten my period for the first time so I wasn't able to see the waterpark area, but the rides were probably carnival rejects, and the water side, though not been through, didn't look appealing. The food, we got because we were starving, was too costly for the bad economy. I mean, come on, how much money does it take to get some frozen French fries, fry then, and put a small portion on your plate?what a ripoff. I must admit, the fries were delicious. The service was bad. We were watching a family member's little son, and it was a hot day,and no place for shade. He asked for a refill from the tap. Would you believe that the rude lady yelled at him until he just about bursted into tears?!?!? He only knows a few words, and I didn't know that costomers couldn't get a free drink of water from the tap!!!!!!!!!!!! The reviews from the past that are good reviews are wrong. Believe us bad reviews and go to del grossos down the road a bit in tipton. Friendly staff best amusement park food I've ever tasted, shade, amazing rides, free water, 5 stars for delgrosso's 0 stars for here at lakemont park.

7  Thank Poodlelilly