“Great Super 8”
Review of Super 8 Altoona

Super 8 Altoona
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This property is one of the best Super 8 motels I've seen. I stayed here about 10 years ago and I can tell that it has been upgraded significantly. The parking has been greatly improved so cars cannot park up against the guest room windows. My room was perfectly clean. It seemed fresh and up to date as you could expect from a Super 8. The hallway could have smelled a bit fresher but that was the only minor nitpick I had.

The exercise room was a nice surprise. The motel offers free wireless Internet and an good continental breakfast that is much better than what I usually find at a typical Super 8. The breakfast area is tiny but the food and variety is good. This is the closest motel to Blair County Ballpark and Lakemont Park. I had a room with a nice view of the parks and the mountains.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Timothy M

Reviewed May 4, 2009

We enjoyed our two night stay. It was close to Blair County Park to watch the Curve play.
Also close to other sightseeing destinations. Don't pass it up!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We have stayed at this Motel 6 about 6-7 times over the last few years, usually for Penn State Football Games.

With the interstate between Altoona and State College partially completed, it takes about 45 minutes to get from PSU-this hotel and about 35 minutes going from this hotel to PSU (more of the interstate is completed going towards PSU).

This hotel is very easy on and off I-99, with the AA Altoona Curve ballpark nearby. Although we don't usually eat much due to coming in late or leaving really early, there's plenty within a 10-15 minute drive of the hotel.

Rooms are about what you'd expect from an economy hotel. Clean. No frills.

Breakfast is usual carb-fest, but hits the spot to fill kids up before heading out.

One minor problem is that we felt the hallways had a smell of smoke in them as we went in. We really mind smoke, so it bothered us a bit. But not enough to complain.

BIG PLUS: My wife left a pair of shorts in our room by accident. We called the next day and they were found, and the hotel offered to mail them to us for FREE (considering we are about 4.5 hours away). MANY THANKS TO THE MANAGEMENT OF THIS MOTEL 6!!!!!!

Overall, if you want a decent no-frills room to stay the night before or night after a Penn State football game, saving about $125-$175 a night over staying in State College, then try this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I stayed here for the Ohio State/Penn State game this past weekend, and for the price (a little over $80 with tax), it was a solid deal. All of the hotels are jammed on football weekends in State College, and the hotel prices in the area are jacked up accordingly.

So, Altoona is your next best bet. The rooms are clean at this Super 8, and the hotel has card key access control to the building, which makes it very safe. It's definitely one of the better economy hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2007

The Super 8 was very basic as you would expect, but the room was clean. My husband swears that he smelled weed coming from several of the rooms, but I didn't really notice.

We skipped the breakfast -- it was less than basic.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Very affordable.This hotel was very clean with an attentive staff.
Can't be beat for the price.I would stay again.
This review is coming from a former Altoonan.
Very conveniently located to shopping and various eateries.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 16, 2007

This is one of the better Super 8 motels. Fairly new, exceptionally clean and well-kept. The bed wasn't suptuous, bit very comfortable, and the bath was nicely set up with towels, soaps, etc. Right at the I-99 exit, but still very quiet. You can see the Altoona Curve minor league ballpark from the motel, and it's probably walking distance if you feel adventurous.

There were two downsides to my stay. First was an awful wireless Internet connection, basically useless, which may have been a dead spot in my particular room, or a bad server day. The second downside was that they sneak in a fee for the little safe in the room that nobody ever uses. I believe you're allowed to opt out of the fee, but how many people actually notice the charge and bother to ask? To me that's fishy way to do business and a questionable way to treat customers.

But that aside, it was a very nice motel and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)