“Great bargain” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Altoona
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
“Great bargain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Super 8 with my husband for two nights recently on a trip through Pennsylvania to Ohio. My husband searched around for a "better" motel but this was the only one available when we were passing through. I think it is a great bargain. The room was very spacious and comfortable. We stayed in the "suite." It was not a "suite" in the sense that there were multiple rooms, but it was a very large room with a sofa, a handy desk and easy chair.
Everything was clean. The employees were friendly and helpful. And it was quiet at night. We stayed two nights because we went to see the Altoona Curve baseball team while we were in town. This motel is very convenient to the ballpark. While we normally stay in places with "better" names, I would not hesitate to stay here again if we pass through Altoona. When we stay at motels like the Super 8, we don't expect to have a designer room with high end toiletries, but we do like it to be clean and comfortable and expect convenience. This Super 8 has all of that.
There is a downside for anyone with major disabilities as there is no elevator so it would be best to request a ground floor room.

Room Tip: If staying for multiple nights, the suite is a great deal & very comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbstur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

Stayed 2 nights on June 13-14
Front desk was awesome.
Smelled smokey on bottom floor, middle and top floor just a little.
Room was great.
Breakfast was good no meat but they had fruit and bread.

Room Tip: Book ahead for discounts
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
State College, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Although the room was of good size and accommodating, the whole place smells of disgusting cigarette smoke. We had a nonsmoking room, but you'd never know it by the smell. Never again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank deb10pink
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

After reading the reviews we decided to stay here. We printed off the page that shows the AARP rate of $42ish and took that with us. When we checked in she quoted $58 and when we showed her the printout, she came closer to the $42, but did not meet the printed price. She told me she couldn't. I almost stood there in front of her and called the 800 number to make the reservation at the printed price. Also, they automatically add on $1 for an in-room safe which we neither wanted or used. The plus is that it is very conveniently located to restaurants, it was clean (although no recliners or comfy beds as mentioned by others) and the wifi worked. Breakfast was a dissapointment as it was cold cereal and 4 tiny donuts. We ate elsewhere. For the price I might stay there again, but have lower expectations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HorryTraveler
comet52
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

The booking firm, Expedia did not have a problem with cancelling my booking, neither did the home office of Super 8. I had made the reservations a couple hours earlier and then plans changed. i asked for a cancel or rain check as my biz plans changed. I was referred by both Expedia and Super 8 home office to speak to Dorothy, the mgr as she was the only one that could make that decision. Her answer was No to a rain check or cancel. She then went one lie farther and claimed she had no ability to make the change. I think the customer service of this hotel rep SUCKs and borders on Non-Existant. Caution befopre booking with someone who has this attitude as there are many hotels that offer a room and customer service. I will never book at Altoona or any other Hotel 8 again. Enjoy your nights fee, it will be the last. PS - I logged 8 nights at Super 8 in past yr alone.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Chuck B
Scotia, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

After trying a number of lower-price motels, I've been sticking with Super 8. They're predictable and a cut above many other chains, as well as being affordable. This Altoona location is one of the best Super 8s I've seen. My room had all the necessities: refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, in-room safe, loads of clean white towels, hair dryer, firm and comfortable mattress, and everything was extremely clean. I think the bathroom must have been remodeled because it was spotless. Not a bit of mold anywhere. Internet access was offered but I didn't use it. In addition, there is a small exercise room with clean new equipment. All this for only $52! I was there on Christmas day. I came back a week later and my next room was just like the first one -- great.
The negatives are minimal. There were families there with small, noisy kids, but that's not the fault of the motel. At my age I would also feel better with a grab bar by the shower. Super 8s don't seem to offer that. Another problem is that GPS units can't seem to find the place. I'm not the first person to notice that GPS puts you about a half-mile away so you have to do some searching. Must be a problem with the numbering system on that road. Again, not the fault of the motel. Overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank bltzflk
McKeesport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

Most of the needed ammenities are included. at this semi budget priced motel that you would usually have to pay at a higher priced motel., Shampoo,good cable tv,free WiFi,Refrigerator,Microwave,Hairdryer,Breakfast ,Laundry,and Fitness Center.Beds are great some rooms have recliners.Rooms seem to be recently remodeled .Only minus's are stale cigarette odor in halls and no elevators. Price paid was 75.00 for Sat Night stay. Great helpful friendly staff. Highly reccomended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family