“Fourth of July Delight”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel is undergoing major renovation but has not impacted the staffs friendliness, detail or needs or interrpted any aspect of our stay. Lovely new lobby and breakfast area. Ease of resturants, fastfoods, and shopping. Best of all because of this great location we were able to see all the fireworks from Lakemont Park setting in the parking lot! A must stay hotel if ever in Altoona Pa!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Terri M
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us! and I appreciate getting a response to let us know how the team performed during your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities that the hotel has to offer including the newly renovated breakfast and lobby areas. It is a thrill and very special to be able to watch the fireworks display from the nearby amusement park from our building or parking lot. I am glad you and your family enjoyed that display. I hope to see you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very comfortable sleep in a clean well kept Inn. Staff was very friendly and courteous. Did not take advantage of the pool, hot tub or exercise area but we were told of them when checking in. The people at the front desk always greeted us. Breakfast was provided in renovated lobby and was adequate as continental breakfasts go. Easy access to the interstate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to fill out the survery concerning your stay! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and breakfast area. Again I appreciate your response and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hampton may be one of the most reliable mid-priced hotel chains in the country. Rarely is a stay at a Hampton less than satisfactory, and that is certainly the case at this high rise hotel at a busy commercial intersection just off I-99 in Altoona. You will find the usual Hampton amenities here and there is no reason to shy away from spending a night or a week here.

However, compared to the dozens of other Hamptons I've experienced, this one is in the lower 20%. Why? Customer service is not great. I stayed there using Hilton Honors Points and the front desk clerk rather laconically asked me for my credit card for incidentals but no mention of my loyalty to the brand. No big deal, of course, but symptomatic of the generally unenthusiastic attitude of the staff I encountered. My room was surprisingly wornout for a Hampton--cracks in the sink, frayed carpet, hole in the wall where the door apparently struck it when opening; scratched door, etc. Again, none of these problems are major but they are atypical of the Hampton flag.

The breakfast was OK but the breakfast room is grossly undersized for a large, five story hotel. The place on a Saturday morning was packed and guests had to fight for a seat. No evidence of the usual attendant to clean things up and the multitude of kids had savaged the place!

This property has an indoor pool, exercise room, and public computers, all standard for Hamptons. Because I stayed with points, I can't comment on the value but my assessment is that this should not be a $100 room; if you are paying that, you might shop around.

It is located across the street from a typical low brow shopping mall and is in the midst of a number of perfectly fine chain restaurants. It takes two turns off the highway to find the parking lot, which is plenty big to accommodate everyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts concerning your stay at our property. I am very sorry that the service was not up to Hampton standards. Our property is known for clean comfortable rooms as well as impeccable customer service, and I apologize that this was not your experience. I know that there are other lodging choices in the area and I appreciate your business.

We are in the mist of a renovation that will be completed sometime at the end of the year. As you probably noticed we have already renovated the first floor including the breakfast area. I again am sorry that you felt the area was too small for the size of our property. We are proud of the changes that we have made in accordance with the Hampton standard Perfect Mix Lobby. With our new front desk, breakfast area, fitness room and other updated amenities we are excited to have our valued customers like yourself stay with us!

Best Wishes,

AOOPA

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Beautiful upgrade to lobby and breakfast area, since our last stay in Decemember. The staff is still the same friendly smiling Front desk. Clean room and fresh smelling sheets....makes for it peaceful tired travelers sleep! Ample space for a king room and large bath. Great houskeeping staff and breakfast staff. One cannot go hungry with the vast verity of food! Coming back from a fourth of July picnic we wittnessed the beautiful firework display from Lakemont Park! What a nice surprise for us. Family oriented for holiday travel. Our grandchildren received three bracelets wjich they proudly displayed! A must stay hotel if traveling to Altoona. Impressive for a couple who travel various states 8 months of the year! Kudos to your staff!! Fantastic and ease of location to the mall and dining. Right off the intersate which made it easy to get to!

Room Tip: Call the hotel for the GPS address as it is different from the mailing. End rooms are great for chil...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to right a review concerning your stay! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated first floor and breakfast area. We are very excited to show off the beautiful renovations. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and the other amenities and were able to enjoy the fireworks at nearby Lakemont Park. I hope to you see again on your next trip to the Altoona area!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great mattress & wonderful pillows-we hope to order pillows when home. Duvet cover clean & neat.View out our window was of heat/ac roof vents, ugly, but not noisy. Temp easy to maintain w/ controls, which was good since the window didn't open & it was over 80F outside. King NS room, only 1 sink w/ very little space on vanity.Micro & frig in rm.Entry way tile to lobby was being laid-loose,hard to roll luggage over them. Breakfast good-hot & cold choices. Cracker Barrel next door. Not in scenic area.Rms in front face highway,not that close,but don't know about noise level.Rms in back face parking lot/shops. Pool looked nice,jacuzzi.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us! we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the amenities that we have to offer. I am glad that you liked the Hampton cloud nine bedding that we offer in our hotel.

If you are ever in the area again, we hope you will choose to stay with us!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

what a place clean room large king size bed, swimming pool with hot tub. staff went out of the way to make sure all was good with room. They will have mini fridgerators in room but until then just call front desk and ask for one. I will be back again. Breakfest was either hot or cold your choice plus a on the go bag if you need one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey concerning your stay at our hotel! I am glad to hear that our team was able to meet your needs. We hope to see you again soon if your travels are bringing you to the Altoona area!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

First, the hotel is undergoing a renovation. The new breakfast area looks very nice. We stayed for one night in a king bedroom with sofa bed. The first thing I noticed were was wooden doors to enter the room.
When we entered the room I could tell the rooms have not been updated for quite a long time.Red carpets and the sofa was a bright flower print form the 80's. Carpet was torn in some areas. Glad to see a nice flat screen t.v. The phones were older models and the lights and lamps were worn as well.
the bathroom area was nice with a nice marble like countertop. The bead was comfortable and the linens wre plush.
I will say the indoor pool area was clean with older furnishings. The bathroom in the pool area was horrible with stained walls, rust and needed a big cleaning. The temp. in the pool was perfect.
I would love to know if the rooms, aka, carpet, sofas, lights will be updated during the removation process?
The breakfast was good and had lots to offer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for sending a response concerning your stay at our hotel in Altoona, PA. We are going to be renovating the entire hotel including the guest rooms with all new furniture, as a complete renovation. We are making a brand new hotel for our valued guests like yourself!