“Just excellent.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tuscan Inn - CLOSED

Tuscan Inn
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Just excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I dined here for the first time last night - and we will absolutely be back. The decor is rustic and charming. Very warm and inviting with a large fireplace. The service was perfectly attentive and prompt. We were seated immediately and our meals were served very promptly. The menu is not extremely large but provided plenty of choices. We skipped an appetizer as all meals are served with soup or salad in addition to the listed side dishes. I chose the filet which came with roasted fingerling potatoes and broccolini. It was priced reasonably at $31. The portions were satisfactory and the steak was cooked to perfection. I requested it medium rare and it was exactly the way I like it. A very tender, flavorful piece of meat. The potatoes were very plain but cooked perfectly and the broccolini were (in my opinion) a little overcooked but still tasty. I chose the cream of broccoli soup and was VERY pleased with it - very tasty and good on a cold night!! My husband had rabbit with goat cheese ravioli ($25). The rabbit was tender and had a nice flavor. It was served in a spicy sauce and he was very, very satisfied with the meal. The ravioli were wonderful. He selected the potato and chorizo soup and was also very happy with that. The soups were served with strips of a delicious flatbread. It was the perfect compliment to the soup and was a very nice touch.

There was a very sizable wine list but we passed on the wine. The prices were exactly double what we buy the same bottle for at the state store. I understand there must be mark up for corking and serving it but we figured we could have the same bottle for half price when we got home!!

All in all, we were pleased with the quality of the food, the ambiance of the interior, and the service. The price was very appropriate for what we received and we will make this one of our "regular" spots. Note: they only take reservations for larger parties and we were a little concerned that going on a Friday evening we might have a long wait. We were seated right away, there is much more dining space inside than we expected. Great place to go if you are looking for something a few steps up from most other area restaurants.

• Visited January 2014

Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful food, great time, great people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

For the third year in a row, we celebrated the New Year with family and friends at the Tuscan Inn in Allison Park, PA. We couldn't be happier with the food, the service, the atmosphere and the celebration. The food was delicious as usual. My husband and several others had the scallops, I had a steak, another in our party had a stuffed pork chop... no matter what the order, it was great and cooked to perfection. The staff was attentive as always. New Years brings on karaoke and we had a wonderful time singing (off key in most instances), dancing, and making yet new friends to celebrate with next year. Can't wait!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Helen B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Four of us out to dinner on a Friday night. We haven't been here in a while so thought we would re visit an old friend! The first thing out of the waitress mouth is "how she doesn't really want to be there" but she is not a negative person! When we asked questions about the menu and the dinner selection she could not answer the the questions and made no effort to ask a co worker or the chef. After we selected our meals, the waitress came back 40 minutes later to tell us they ran out of wild boar and lamb and that we would have to make new selections! No offer of drinks, another appetizer or an "I am sorry." If I owned the joint I would have come to the table and apologized! So two of us had to start all over again with menu questions and no answers. By this time- I had lost my appetite ( and Patience) but made the best of the rest of the night. The others who did order were treated to an average, overpriced meal ( $192 for two appetizers, 4 glasses of wine and three entrees). I won't be back. Why does this place get such good ratings? My out of town guests were very underwhelmed. Seems like new ownership could help this place!. Oh, and I forgot- place was very noisy.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 2ndamendment
Wexford
“We love this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Tuscan Inn serves wonderful food in a comfortable, warm setting. This is the place we take friends from out of town, every time. There's no pretension, it's not stuffy but it's an "old fashion" feeling in a good way. Food quality is consistently excellent with specials that are just that - special. Service is always professional. On our last visit plates were removed prematurely by a young woman and our server promptly took her aside and told her she should wait until all diners are finished. Very nice. One of the few bars I don't mind waiting at if there's a wait for a table BUT reservations are almost always honored on time.

• Visited October 2013
Maple Shade, New Jersey
“down home comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a place where you will feel comfortable from your first step inside the door. Very good drinks served by a friendly bartender. The tomato vegetable chicken soup was both hot and delicious. The real winner was the rabbit shepherd 's pie. Very tender rabbit , in large chunks with peas and a great béchamel served under a hot flaky crust. No annoying ESPN or people staring at their cell phone in this place. I had some great conversation at the bar with the regulars.
Don't be fooled by the rustic exterior , this old time coal miners bar has morphed into a real gem!

• Visited July 2013