“Excellent Italian comfort food.”
Review of Tuscan Inn - CLOSED

Tuscan Inn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wexford
“Excellent Italian comfort food.”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Tuscan Inn is a quiet, well run restaurant in suburban Pittsburgh. The food and service are consistently very good and prices are reasonable. The menu includes pastas but the highlights here are always the meats. Steaks and pork chops are well seasoned and always tender. My wife has had excellent fish dishes. A little on the pricey side but worth it. You don't need a special occasion to come here.

• Visited March 2013

PA
“Excellent food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Deceiving from the outside, this restaurant is awesome. The inside is classy and rustic. Our server was excellent. The antipasta for appetizer was filled with interesting items. I would definitely order that again. Several of us had the beet and goat cheese salad. The goat cheese was fried crispy and was savory. I had the asparagus and marscarpone ravioli which was a special that night. It was great. Do not miss the lemon berry marscapone cake! The portions are big and we left there very full!

• Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh
“Good food, weird service”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I thought all the food was excellent. If you're looking for good food, this is definitely a place to check out. Our table started with the salumi to split. There were 3 meats, which were all average. One was pepperoni, one was salami and one was unknown (I'll get to that when I discuss service). I had the venison pot pie. The puff-pastry lid was huge, light and flaky. The gravy was rich, but not too rich with a great consistency. The venison was very tender. My wife had the bolognese, which was with fresh pappardelle pasta and herbed ricotta. The pasta was cooked perfectly and the sauce was hearty. The entrees came with a soup or salad. My wife got the house salad/dressing, which she said was great. I got a spicy black bean soup with sour cream. It was good, but the "dollop" of sour cream was huge.

Now the service. When we came in, we were ignored for a good 5 minutes. We were there early and it was not busy. There were maybe 6 people at the bar and 4 other tables seated. I could actually hear the chef saying "there are people waiting to be seated, why is no one talking to them?". He actually asked this twice. When we were seated, we were greeted quickly and given water and "Tuscan Bread". We asked for a few minutes to look over the menu. Our waitress came back in less than two minutes. We asked for more time, which this time was a sufficient amount for the four of us to decide. When the salumi was brought out, nothing was explained and it does not explain the meats on the menu. Then, with half the food still uneaten on the plate, a server attempted to take it. We said we were still eating. 3 minutes later, a different server tried to take it. When we did finish it, it was cleared. I ordered the mushroom bisque, but the server came back to say they were out and it was replaced with a spicy black bean, which I thought sounded good. From there, the service was fine. For a place charging $21 and up for an entree, I would hope for better service.

I would not hesitate to go and this place is probably more of a 4 or 4.5 star place, but the service my 4-top got was just odd. The kitchen really does a great job with the food.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank wc4572
York, Pennsylvania
“Great food in the North Hills”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just went for the second time for dinner and it was even better than I remembered. Fantastic food! Swordfish (special) was cooked perfectly. The rack of lamb was amazing and my son loved his scallops. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food should not be missed.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jsc145
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“one of my favs in pittsburgh; best house salads ever!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

i havent been to the tuscan inn in the past few months, but have probably been to this incredible eatery about 20 times...i sometimes crave the tuscan inn like a primanti sandwich...the ambiance is neat including a semi open kitchen.... the flatbread with the mixed green house salad is the best salad ever! the greens are immaculately dried, the dressing fantastic and the acoutrements (raisins, gorg, nuts) really make the salad memorable..i usually get the house chianti which is lite yet hearty and always goes great with dinner...because the food is rich, i have not tried the apps but i m sure they are amazing...the menu changes seasonally but some of my more memorable dinners are the wild boar, the salmon, risotta mare, filleto, etc..i ve had so many i wish i could remember them all....my only complaint, it can be a little awkward walking in to be seated, as there is not a hostess stand and a very small entry way..sometimes ive stood for an awkward amount of time waiting, but that has progressively improved over time...it was mentioned in a review: the loudness...this is when you have a loud party next to you, it can be annoying, but mostly a very conservative crowd..kudos to tuscan inn! just amazing!

• Visited May 2012