“Incredibly disgusting, unsafe, awful place nightmares are made of.”

Rodeway Inn Allentown
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Buffalo, New York
“Incredibly disgusting, unsafe, awful place nightmares are made of.”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I booked the Econo Lodge in Allentown after reading reviews on another site that pegged it as "fine, no frills". I will certainly never read another site for hotel suggestions again. On the outside this hotel seems to fit the "fine, no frills" criteria but inside it's the most horrible, gross, hole.

Scuzzy bathroom with water damage and mold. Dirty shower and tub, just grimy and gross.

Dirty blankets on the bed. Lots of hair on the back of the pillows. Spots on sheets.
I almost threw up. We gathered up the bed stuff and threw it in a corner on the floor.

Insect crawling on the wall. Hole in the window screen. So once we caught the bug we just let it out through the hole-why not!

The entire room felt unclean and unsanitary.

It was LOUD outside. People were hanging out, drinking, swearing, and yelling downstairs outside the first floor rooms. They were driving around in the lot and peeling out. We had brief interaction with these people on our way in to our rooms for the night and they were scary. We were so freaked out it's the only reason we didn't leave and escape to another hotel. We felt trapped.

I ended up taking some of my clothes from my bag and covering the bed with them. I then stuffed clothes inside my jacket and rolled it up to make a pillow. I'm not being dramatic it was so disgusting. I didn't sleep a wink between the loud, frightening people downstairs and the sick room and dirty bed stuff in the corner.

We got up earlier than planned and got out of there. I seriously had to suppress vomit all night and was worried about my car in the lot.
Turns out I had good reason because my car was scraped along the back driver's side. GREAT!

Hands down the absolutely worst hotel experience.

Gross, disgusting, horrible, awful, unclean, unsafe, dirty, nightmare hotel. NEVER NEVER NEVER stay here no matter what the price, no matter what other reviews you read, no matter how the promotional photos look, never never never never.

Room Tip: Get a room someplace else and it's guaranteed to be better!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank hauntingsummer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

THIS HOTEL SHOULD BE CONDEMNED!! We unfortunately booked this hotel on the road and didn't check any reviews!!
On arrival and check in the man at the desk was very brusk. I was a little dubious, as the reception area didn't look that nice. but went with it as we had booked on Expedia, and it was non refundable. We went to check out the room before we took our bags in.
Outside our block there were people outside their room,smoking, drinking and lying about on filthy couches! There were overflowing bins at the entrance too. Not a good sign.
Our room was up an inside stairwell that stank!! It was carpeted, don't know what colour the carpet was it was so FILTHY! The smell was of vomit, sewage and air freshener. I felt sick. We entered our room, with a dodgy lock ,and it was just as bad.
The room looked like it hadn't ever seen a hoover. There were hairs and bits of stuff everywhere. The bath, toilet and sink were reasonably clean, not sure about the towels (folded but not looking that good) but the shower curtain smelt of urine.
The quilted bed covers looked like they had NEVER been washed. I really didn't want to touch them. I pulled them back and they felt tacky. YUK!! At that point I stood in the middle of the room and cried when I saw the sheets and pillows had hairs and stains all over them.
We went out as i just couldn't stay in the room. I bought bin liners from a local shop, and a can of insect deterrent. We didn't go back till late, and we were tired.
We only took the bare essentials into the room. Toothbrush and toothpaste! We picked the better of the 2 beds. I think the sheets had actually been washed, but they were stained, and had probably been dragged over the floor, picking up the dirt when the bed had been made. We put all our clothes in the bin liners so they would be safe from any bugs!
The beds sank in the middle, they were so old!!
We both had an awful night, listening to the other residents arguing, shouting, and I spent the whole night itching, probably from the large amount of insect repellent I had sprayed myself with to avoid any bites from bed bugs or fleas that may have been there.
We were up at the crack of dawn, checked out, and went to find a decent hotel for the next night. We have stayed at many of the cheaper hotels in America, most of which are usually clean if a bit in need of updating. But I can honestly say that this is the absolute worst hotel ever.
SO PLEASE STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1955Traveller
Pittsburg, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A friend of mine booked this hotel as sort of a last resort on the same weekend as Musikfest. Typically, when I stay someplace I consult this site and a few other review sites, but I trusted my friend to do the same and, again, we were a little desperate to find a place. We knew we were getting screwed on price (Econo Lodge for $130/nt?! Especially awesome when they have a sign that says "nightly rates starting at $32."), but it was worse than we thought.

First, the lobby smelled like urine and there was a haze of cigarette smoke. Upon checking in, we were handed a remote and told there would be a $5 refundable "rental fee" for said remote, which was duct taped together. The guy at the front desk was also less than presentable with his gray t-shirt and moob stains.

When we drove around the building and entered the enclosed stairwell it smelled like vomit and cigarettes and looked like it had not been vacuumed in, well, ever. The hallway to our room had even more of a noxious odor that can only be described as a combination of dirty diaper, vomit, cigarettes, curry and raspberry Glade. Just outside our room there was also a directional splatter of white something or other that did NOT look like paint. Clearly this place had not been painted since the 90's.

The room itself was also dingy and looked as if it had never been cleaned. We tried to turn on the lights and they did not work. The beds were concave in the middle and reminded me of the shape of an inside out contact lens. When my friend sat on the corner of the bed, while we contemplated even chancing once night, it made a cracking noise and the corner dropped about 6 inches. Neither of us even wanted to set our bags down. We opted to leave.

When we returned to the front desk, we were informed that we would not get our money back. Since the stay was booked through Expedia, we called them and they refunded the second night we had booked but could only provide an Expedia voucher for the first night because the hotel would not refund the money stating that we had officially checked in and it was after 6pm when we did so.

I've stayed in many budget hotels. None have been quite as bad as this one. I've also sent a complaint to corporate-- these people should have their franchise taken away!

Room Tip: Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amanda C
Paris, France
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent the night of July 19th in this hotel, just for a late stop: when I wanted to dry myself after my shower, I discovered the TOWELS were DIRTY ! Then, I checked entirely the SHEETS: DIRTY as well (SPOTS, HAIRS). It was midnight and too late to go to another place. I complained and got new sheets and towels. It took time. We felt very uncomfortable during the night and did not sleep well. In the morning, I asked for a commercial gesture - I had been charged an incredible 89 USD + tax for this -. The hotel refused, arguing that everything was normal ("for more, I could have been to Marriott"). It makes me suppose it is a policy in this hotel not to systematically clean bed sheets and towels, also it is the least you can expect, even in a basic hotel. Horrible place. Don't go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Mapi28
E. Islip
Reviewed July 22, 2013

NO soap in the room at all. NO working ice machine in the entire bldg. Smelly hall and room.

Attendant on the cell all the time. Freight train tracks 50 ft away.

Too bad they're trading on the good Econo Lodge name.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Alan G
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am writing to let you know how awful our stay was at the Econo Lodge in Allentown Pennsylvania on Downeyflake Lane!! The rooms were absolutely disgusting!!!!! Spilled dried soda pop all over the safe, the rooms had a very stale foul odor , the clerk was more interested in his cell phone than his customers, the remote for the television had the batteries in by scotch tape, there was an ice bucket and yet no ice machine and the guests in the next room were listening to loud music till at least 2:30 am!!!! This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel!!!! Ever!!! Not to mention it cost us almost $100 !! Ridiculous !!

Diana Lynn

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Deedledee35
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Should have paid attention to the reviews here. We reached there midnight and just needed a room to spend the night. We could not wait for morning. The building is dirty(putting it mildly). The room had a bad smell to it. The carpets felt sticky. The windows were open but still it did not feel fresh in there. The bathroom had dirt in the corners and it smelled. One of the beds did not have a comforter, only a white sheet. When i went to ask for one, the front desk did not have any to give to me. He gave me a bed spread instead. Not worth the $80 we paid. The owner is friendly and so was the reception guy but everything else is downhill once you leave their front office. If you can, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family