“Very Mixed Review”

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Lake Ridge, Virginia
“Very Mixed Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

My first night at the Crowne Plaza was fine. The room was huge and clean, the king bed was comfortable, and the extras (including a Sony CD player/alarm clock/radio and a sleep CD) were very nice. There was very little noise from outside the room when I went to sleep. All in all, I thought I'd be writing a rave review for TripAdvisor (other than the somewhat dodgy downtown location).

However, all that changed the second night. The hotel was fully booked and while I have no idea who or what was on my floor (8th), it was the most unpleasant night I've ever spent in a hotel/motel, including one-star hotels and Red Roof Inns. People were partying, yelling, and slamming doors. The noise was incredible. After on-and-off sleeping for three hours, I was just about to call the front desk (and maybe even the police) when it stopped at 2:30 AM. Naturally, I then had trouble getting back to sleep.

The next morning, I decided for convenience's sake to have breakfast at the hotel. BIG mistake. While the newly-renovated restaurant was very nice and laid out in an attractive, terraced manner, nothing else was good. I opted for the breakfast buffet, but by the time I got there, almost no food was available (although the buffet still had at least an hour to go). I had to wait 15 minutes for *some* of the items to be replenished, and the food was barely passable. Finally, my waiter never showed up with my check, so I had to get another employee to get it for me. For the second time in my life, I left a two cent tip. When I checked out of the hotel 30 minutes later, the meal charge was not on the bill and they couldn't find my check--so they gave it to me for free, which was certainly appropriate. I was told the restaurant was understaffed, but only about half of the tables were full when I was there, and the servers really did not look that busy.

Friends of mine attending the same event got better deals at other hotels, as well as a good night's sleep. My experience may have been unusual, but I will not stay there again and risk it.

• Liked — Room/bed comfort and amenities
  • Disliked — NOISE!!!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Metro DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

This was my first time at this hotel. I travel to Allentown once or twice a month on business. They refer to the recent renovation. I can’t imagine what it was like prior to the "renovation". My No Smoking room stunk of cigarette smoke, there was a fist size hole in the wall, the security latch was broken, the table lamp was broken, the toilet didn’t flush and I had to pick the paint chips from the fallen ceiling out of the tub. The name sounds upscale but travelers beware! I found the Crown Plaza in Williamsburg, VA to be in the same condition.

• Liked — Friendly Front Desk staff
  • Disliked — Cindition of the room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank RLPM
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2007

Really nice stay for the money. Nice staff except for the little short balding bartender. Good room and very comfortable bed. The location is convienent. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2006

I had business in the area for 3 days, and had my choice of hotels. I usually choose a hotel from the Hilton Group or the Holiday Inn group. From the websites and mapblast, it looked like the Crowne Plaza Allentown was centrally located and the rate was favorable. Knowing NOTHING about the city, I booked this hotel rather than a Holiday Inn Express just a few miles away.

If I had to do it again, I probably would have choose then Express. When I shared with my co-workers where I was staying, they rolled their eyes and said to be careful - the city was working to improve center city with sreetscaping, but hadn't relocated the residents yet.

I drove into the area and knew what they meant. I passed pawn shops, a bail bondsman, and a few homeless. Didn't know I had to park in a pay lot, but it was close so no problems.

Check in - It was fairly late when I checked in, so the lobby was empty. The clerk was very curteous, and even more so when he found out I was a platimum member. Offered me my choice of 1,000 points, breakfast or a drink. I took the points, and he gave me breakfast anyway.

The room - was on the 8th floor and was fine. Smelled a bit damp, but I didnt worry - till I took off my shoes. The carpet was still wet from shampooing. I called down and they did offer to to change me to another, but I already unpacked and was working on the computer, so I just put my shoes back on. The internet was not wireless, and the connection was a bit slower than I was used to. When I went to bed, I discovered the room was missing the clock radio and the TV control. I managed.

The next morning I told them about the missing items and asked them to dry vac the carpet. When I returned that night the items were in place and the carpet was dry.

I didn;t know they would validate parking so I paid the first day. The 2nd day I validated. When I checked out I had parking charges on both days. I didnt discover this till I got home.

Overall - I would stay for location, but if I were working a bit further south I would try the Holiday Inn Express instead.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Statmans
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Allentown, PA, on October 7-8, 2006. Our room was very spacious and showed signs of being recently renovated with pleasant colors. At first they gave us a room that had not yet been properly cleaned, but that was quickly rectified when the front desk gave us another room, along with an apology for the mix-up.

The room had nice little touches: two sinks (one inside the bathroom and one outside), which cut our dressing time in half; plenty of pillows; clips to fasten the curtains together to darken the room completely.

Parking was a snap. For $6 extra per night, guests can use the Allentown municpal parking garage next door, coming and going at will with no extra cost. It's a lot less than the $15-$20 many downtown hotels charge.

The only complaint we had was that we could hear the next door neighbors arguing in muffled tones. That's a problem with rooms that feature a connecting door. Once the fighting couple cooled off, we were able to sleep comfortably.

If staying here, request a room that does not have a connecting option, unless you need it.

1 Thank GJK3
Springfield, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2006

Having stayed at a fabulous Hampton Inn in NJ, we had hoped to stay in one in Allentown as well, but we chose the Crowne Plaza because it had a room + amusement park tickets deal.

Extremely slow check-in service was not a great first impression. And the manager was not on hand to give us our tickets.

The room was clean and neat but smelled like a wet dog - we think they had recently shampooed the carpets but had not given them sufficient time to dry.

The restaurant was closed for renovation and the continental breakfast (included in the package) was meager, cold and served in a bland inside banquet room with only one server on duty.

On the plus side: the location was good, the indoor pool would be a welcome distraction in winter and Dorney Park (nearby amusement park) was fabulous - we had a lot of fun there with our kids.

• Liked — Package (hotel rooms + amusement park tickets)
  • Disliked — slow service, smell of room, cold meager breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Hampton Inn would be a better choice in this town
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank WeRTravelers
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

I paid around $116 for a King bedded room. The hotel was fine for that price point as you can't get too much for so little. The first room I had was nice and clean but did have an odor or cat urine disguised by deodorant. They changed my room immediately. Ver y nice hotel staff. The second room was nice as well. Some hairs which were not mine the the bathtub but that was it....otherwise very clean. Pillows were hard but bed was comfortable. TV reception not great on certain channels. Room was very quiet.

I would stay here again for the money. I would however rate this a 3 or a the most 3.5 star and not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo