“Not so great”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Springfield, VA
“Not so great”
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Having stayed at a fabulous Hampton Inn in NJ, we had hoped to stay in one in Allentown as well, but we chose the Crowne Plaza because it had a room + amusement park tickets deal.

Extremely slow check-in service was not a great first impression. And the manager was not on hand to give us our tickets.

The room was clean and neat but smelled like a wet dog - we think they had recently shampooed the carpets but had not given them sufficient time to dry.

The restaurant was closed for renovation and the continental breakfast (included in the package) was meager, cold and served in a bland inside banquet room with only one server on duty.

On the plus side: the location was good, the indoor pool would be a welcome distraction in winter and Dorney Park (nearby amusement park) was fabulous - we had a lot of fun there with our kids.

• Liked — Package (hotel rooms + amusement park tickets)
  • Disliked — slow service, smell of room, cold meager breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Hampton Inn would be a better choice in this town
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank WeRTravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I paid around $116 for a King bedded room. The hotel was fine for that price point as you can't get too much for so little. The first room I had was nice and clean but did have an odor or cat urine disguised by deodorant. They changed my room immediately. Ver y nice hotel staff. The second room was nice as well. Some hairs which were not mine the the bathtub but that was it....otherwise very clean. Pillows were hard but bed was comfortable. TV reception not great on certain channels. Room was very quiet.

I would stay here again for the money. I would however rate this a 3 or a the most 3.5 star and not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank larover
Scranton
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Enjoyed my stay. I traveled to allentown on business and stayed at Crowne Plaza. Good service!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 17, 2006

My wife and I were here for the drum corps show, so the hotel was full and very busy. We were given a very clean king room with a comfortable bed, though it was not one of the fancy ones the hotel advertises.

The front desk staff was busy but helpful. The room was clean, but there were cigarette burns on the carpet - odd for a non-smoking room. The bathroom had nice new counters and sink faucets, but the shower water control and spout were old, and the pipe was loose in the wall, so we didn't dare try the massage shower head.

We printed out an online coupon from the local tourism bureau and that got us a free hot breakfast buffet.

The hotel is easy to get to downtown, and the neighborhood seems safe, but there was a homeless man wandering through the lobby when we checked in. It didn't bother me, but it's something to be aware of.

Overall, not bad but not great. We slept well, ate well, and were in a good location. If we were in Allentown again and got a good rate, I'd consider it.

3 Thank LovePgh
Midwest, USA
Reviewed July 30, 2006

Booked this hotel on hotwire, all in all, for the price, it was ok. As other reviews stated, the hotel is in a bad part of town, but I did not feel unsafe coming and going as the hotel is right next to the parking garage. I would certainly understand though a female staying alone not feeling safe in going between the hotel and parking lot.
Good things :room was comfortable, nice, spacious.
Not Good things : The wireless connection was down the last day and a half of my stay, the neighborhood is terrible, upon arrival on my second night, there were about 8 cop cars in front of the hotel, and a bunch of police inside. It sounded like they had chased someone into the hotel and the person had gotten on the elevator and they were searching for him throughout the hotel. I was a bit nervous going up to my room, but there were about 6 policemen on the elevator with me. (I was on my own when I got off on my floor though!) Also as I was leaving, the elevator broke down and could not get off my floor. I found a cleaning person and they at first said to take the stairs. (No way from the top floors with a heavy suticase. They did end up taking me down the service elevator, so all worked out in the end.(
Final assessment: Would I stay here again, probably not, but if nothing else for the money could be found, would not be opposed to a return.

• Liked — comfortable room
  • Disliked — bad part of town
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Revilo2000
South Windsor, CT
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Service was mediocre at the Crown Plaza Allentown. Special requests that I included in the reservation were not honored or even mentioned at check-in, and the disinterested front desk clerk obviously was not focused on her work. One layer of the ceiling in the bathroom looked like it could fall off in pretty good sized chunks at any time.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Golden Retriever Lover
Weston, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2006

I must agree with some of the previous posters. The customer service is great and the people who work there really go above and beyond to try to help, but it's like they know they are fighting a losing battle.

I ate at the bar for dinner (hamburger) and it was fine. Breakfast was very good, and we had complimentary coupons. The problems were with general noise level in the rooms due to the proximity of the street, and the condition of the elevators. Elevators are old and rickety, and when I opened the door to my room on the second floor it was literally 100 degrees in there because someone had opened the window on the hottest day of the year. The maid apparently didn't notice. All night there were sounds of loud car mufflers and motorcycles, teenagers yelling and large dump trucks. The door of the room let in a lot of light, and the sounds of neighbors in the hall yelling, talking, and slamming doors. The ice machine was right by the door and it was very loud as well. In the morning, despite the DND sign on my door, the maid tried repeatedly to get in. I had the door deadbolted and finally answered, pointing to the "do not disturb" sign. She spoke no English of course, but I thought the sign, the deadbolt and the late checkout I confirmed at the desk would have been enough. The complimentary shuttle was out running errands at Home Depot at the time I had signed up for a shuttle ride to the hotel. We ended up taking a cab instead, paid for by the Crowne Plaza folks. Like I said, the employees try hard.

The neighborhood is a rough one, and the bartender warned us not to go walking anywhere at night, and be careful in the day.

• Liked — nice beds
  • Disliked — neighborhood, noise, expensive menu except at the bar
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on the other side of the river...
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business